AGM Thoth Instructions / Fourth Dimension website

Cerulean

I remember my first Thoth deck was by AGM and it came with a neat set of instructions for a layout by an unidentified "Tarot Hermit".

I believe the Fourth Dimension website gives free readings using this layout as well as samples and meanings of all the Thoth card images.

http://www.fourthdimension.net/thoth/

I hope I am not dreaming, but I think the spread from the AG Mueller deck is the same?

Can anyone tell me where these original instructions and layout came from?
The booklet says it was taken from the Equinox Volume I, number 8, and it is 'traditional'. I think it is more unique and modern, certainly very involved and gives the reader a very tactile and hands-on approach to getting a feel for their cards.

I know of two people whose Thoth decks had a different instruction booklet then the AGM Tarot Hermit booklet and they read their Thoth with a different layout that came with their booklet--I think their set was distributed by U.S. Games and their layout is the one suggested by James Wasserman?

It seems to me that somehow my friends may have read their Thoth differently than myself--good readers, acknowledging the Thoth deck as giving 'deep' readings...but they didn't use their Thoth deck for their own daily readings or friendly getting to know you spreads--rather they reserved their Thoth as a specialized kind of divination, even reverently 'magical.'

I was wondering if the different booklets also influenced their Thoth perspectives...or perhaps your booklet or your feeling for your Thoth deck influenced your own way of reading this deck?

Hope my question is clear. I've actually gone back and forth in using my Thoth cards--some periods I would use it exclusively for daily draws and getting to know self/or personal readings, sometimes I'd use it for reading for others or comparing with a Thothlike deck (Via for example)...sometimes I'd just not use them to delve into other decks or study.

I'm starting to think of different ways to use them again...

Cerulean

fyreflye

The "Hermit" was Crowley himself and the instructions are quotes from the BOT as well as the Equinox. Obviously the Equinox instructions were also written by Crowley. Most writers on the Thoth deck tend to dismiss the instructions by the "Hermit" as too complex, but most people are also lazy. I'm lazy myself. Anybody can get "good" readings from the Thoth deck using any method, but there are "readings" and readings. If you want to learn the Thoth the way Crowley intended start using his recommended spread and see what happens. And let us know.

p.s. the spread on that web site is not the one Crowley recommends. His spread involves not just one but several operations.

Cerulean said:
I remember my first Thoth deck was by AGM and it came with a neat set of instructions for a layout by an unidentified "Tarot Hermit".

I believe the Fourth Dimension website gives free readings using this layout as well as samples and meanings of all the Thoth card images.

http://www.fourthdimension.net/thoth/

I hope I am not dreaming, but I think the spread from the AG Mueller deck is the same?

Can anyone tell me where these original instructions and layout came from?
The booklet says it was taken from the Equinox Volume I, number 8, and it is 'traditional'. I think it is more unique and modern, certainly very involved and gives the reader a very tactile and hands-on approach to getting a feel for their cards.

I know of two people whose Thoth decks had a different instruction booklet then the AGM Tarot Hermit booklet and they read their Thoth with a different layout that came with their booklet--I think their set was distributed by U.S. Games and their layout is the one suggested by James Wasserman?

It seems to me that somehow my friends may have read their Thoth differently than myself--good readers, acknowledging the Thoth deck as giving 'deep' readings...but they didn't use their Thoth deck for their own daily readings or friendly getting to know you spreads--rather they reserved their Thoth as a specialized kind of divination, even reverently 'magical.'

I was wondering if the different booklets also influenced their Thoth perspectives...or perhaps your booklet or your feeling for your Thoth deck influenced your own way of reading this deck?

Hope my question is clear. I've actually gone back and forth in using my Thoth cards--some periods I would use it exclusively for daily draws and getting to know self/or personal readings, sometimes I'd use it for reading for others or comparing with a Thothlike deck (Via for example)...sometimes I'd just not use them to delve into other decks or study.

I'm starting to think of different ways to use them again...

Cerulean

thorhammer

Would that be the Opening of the Key Spread? Not really a spread, more an "Operation". Takes a long time to do it right through, but even if you just do the "First Operation", it is SO WORTH IT.

Amazing readings. Although, I will say this - they can tend to confuse as much as enlighten.

\m/ Kat

Cerulean

Thank you, all!

This gives me plenty to read and the context discussed I the links are quite fitting too.

I am going to take time to absorb this and figure out which SuperTarot text to check out...and be hunting for look-sees of the new digitally remastered Thoth as I use my old favorites...

My appreciative thanks to you all...

Cerulean

thorhammer

I have Paul Hughes-Barlow's bookTarot and the Magus or somesuch, and it is wonderful. Granted, the seller was an amazon seller and I think they must keep cats in their warehouse to keep the mice down, as the book smells strongly of cat pee . . . plus the cats must smoke, coz ditto on the cigarette odour. Hence, reading it is a chore when it should not be :(

But it's a GREAT book.

\m/ Kat

rif

thorhammer said:
But it's a GREAT book.

Agreed. :)

Sorry your copy is so malodorous though.