Putting the Tarot to Work

Keslynn

I saw this book on Llewellyn's new releases page. It's by Mark McElroy, and it's about using the tarot to make business/career decisions. I'm interested in getting in but, being short of cash, I'd like to know if it's good first.

Anyone been able to read it yet?

:) Kes

Keslynn

Thanks, Lee! I hadn't seen it.

MarkMcElroy

Sample Chapters

Hi, Kes. I appreciate your interest in Putting the Tarot to Work. I'm really dedicated to the idea that Tarot can be a powerful, practical tool, and I tried to pack the book with applications that you can put to work within minutes.

If you'd like to see them, there are sample chapters from the book available here:

http://www.tarottools.com/books-w-s-intro.html

If you do decide to get the book, I'd really like to hear about your experiences with it. I'm always open to feedback, and would welcome your input.

Good journey to you!

Mark Mc

Imagemaker

Wow! I read the sample text--good stuff. The radically hopeful idea of getting business people to use tarot for visual brainstorming is so avant garde and fabulous. Maybe this world can actually move forward out of the dark ages now . . . maybe . . .

I've found that anti-tarot people are very willing to talk about archetypes and what they imply/mean. Got to sneak in under their suspicions and show possiblities and problem solving. Bravo to Mark for doing this book!

Keslynn

Thanks for sharing the sample chapters with us, Mark! I'm really impressed. I can't believe how much your coworkers got from one card. I'll have to give it a try myself.

I have to get this book.

PS - Diane Wilkes was also raving about it in the latest Tarot Passages newsletter.

Diana

Mark Mc: I hope your book gets sold like hot-cakes! I reckon the business world could do with a bit of a shake-up like this. And Tarot could do with a better reputation than it does in some circles too.

I like your style of writing too. It's brisk and down to the point. No beating about the bush and it's like you're smiling at people all the time.

Great work. :)

MarkMcElroy

Thanks!

Thanks for the kind comments! I'm glad you liked the sample chapters.

Once people understand how Tarot images can be used as brainstorming tools, I'm always *amazed* at how quickly they start being able to "read Tarot" for themselves.

In Orlando two weeks ago, I shared the "What Would the Trumps Do?" exercise with people who stopped by the Llewellyn booth for a Tarot reading. Once folks caught on to the process, they could hardly wait to get home and try it again on their own.

If I can answer any questions or be of any service to ya, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks!

Mark

Mimers

Mark,

Thanks for sharing the sample chapters with us. I am looking forward to getting this book myself. Not only for me because I work in the corporate world but for the people I do readings for. I have one gentleman in particular that is starting his own business and I am hoping I can enrich it with some exercises from your book. I keep looking in Borders and B&N but it hasn't shown up yet.

Say, is there any suggestions for someone who is going through a very rushed system change at her job and is going buck nutty because everything is all messed up and not working and I can't figure out what my inventory is, because I keep getting error messages every time I try to do something (gasp!).

Sorry just venting ;)

Mimi

MarkMcElroy

Some Strategies to Try

Nothing like a system change at high speed to put you in touch with your inner screamer! ;)

In the same situation, I'd steal ten quiet minutes and draw three cards in answer to the question, "What are three things I can do to help me maintain my sanity during this trying period at work?"

I recommend pretending each of the cards you draw is actually a "note" (in picture form) from a trusted advisor. Instead of trying to draw out *the* meaning of each card, though, I suggest brainstorming a bit -- investing three or four minutes jotting down a series of "To Do's" inspired by the card.

For example, let's say you draw The Hierophant. Your list of possible "To Do's" might contain items like these (though everyone's list would be different): share my frustration with a mentor, start the day with the Serenity Prayer, ask my boss for clearer direction on whom to funnel issues to for resolution, use this incident as leverage to get a more formal transition process implemented, etc. I usually try to allow each card to suggest at least ten To Do's.

In the end, pick one positive action from each of the three lists you make ... put it into motion ... and see what happens!

Good luck with the situation. I hope this technique helps!