Art and Arcana

Umbrae

Art and Arcana Commentary on The Medieval Scapini Tarot by Ronald Decker US Games Systems ISBN 1-52781-477-2

Owning a copy of The Medieval Scapini Tarot is not a prerequisite for owning this book.

However...if you love Tarot, are into Tarot, you need this book.

That said – I still believe that you should learn Tarot first, then read the books…and you should start with this one.

Why? Well on one hand it explodes historical myths. On the other…because I said so (lol), or because it’s just a good read (take your pick).

inanna_tarot

It will be looked into oh great Tarot Master
:p

Cheers for the heads up Umbrae! I have been thinking about this book as i've got the deck, but if its as good as you say so it must be bought... when i have money... about 20 years time then? :p

Sezo
x

Umbrae

One of the lovely things about this book is that it condenses an entire library of books into one short volume.

On my second time through…it’s the only book I’m taking with me on my upcoming trip. I figure I’ll read it about 4 times over the next four weeks…

Rose

I want to second Umbrae’s recommendation. This book is very readable and will increase most people’s understanding of different tarot systems. Among the things discussed in this book are Levi’s theories, Cabala, Golden Dawn, Alchemy, Planetary Correspondences, Eteilla’s meanings, Papus, Tarot de Marseille, Waite/Smith. It has black and white illustrations of the cards in the Medieval Scapini Tarot and goes into the differences between the meanings used by Waite, the Golden Dawn, Eteilla, etc. Since it’s only $9.60 at Amazon, you can always add it to your next tarot order (if it qualifies you for free shipping—even better). It will also increase your appreciation for the Medieval Scapini deck.

Le_Corsair

Great gods, a tarot book that Umbrae doesn't want to burn! It must be worthy! :D

Bob :THERM

Nevada

Le_Corsair said:
Great gods, a tarot book that Umbrae doesn't want to burn! It must be worthy! :D
Ha-ha. Exactly what I thought.

Adding to my Wish List now . . . Thanks, Umbrae.

Nevada

lark

I've had this book on pre-order for a very long time. :mad:
I just got confirmation Saturday that it has been sent. :)
I'm glad to hear it's a good read and well worth my long wait. :D

jema

I'll better ask my dealer to bring it home for me then. Thanks Rose for letting us know a bit more what it is about, and to Umbrae for the tip of course.

Umbrae

This was the only book I took with me during my recent travels. I read it three times in 20 days.

I have notes in the margins...tickets from places work as mementos and bookmarks, it's dog eared...and wonderful.

I've also always said I'm still a student, and still learning. One must remember that I never have studied cabala. Even Cabala in relation to Tarot. I’ve always focused on Tarot only. This book has taught me - explained why, and during my journey, (which occurred on many levels) I was shown over and over that cabala is the next plateau (for me…at this time).

Syncretism. A good word.

Beautifully written, and like I said before – it gets better with each reading.

tmgrl2

Placed it in my Amazon.com shopping cart.

Thank you.

terri