Favorite Crowley Quotes

angus93

I wanted to see some other peoples favorite sayings and quotes from Aleister Crowley.

Aeon418

"When you have proved that God is merely a name for the sex instinct, it appears to me not far to the perception that the sex instinct is God."

ravenest

Check out the thread below;

'What's your fav Crowley quip?'

Aeon418

Where did Crowley say that?

:laugh:

ZenMusic

Regardie

Aeon418

ravenest said:
The first sentence; to his tailor.
And I bet he didn't pay the bill either. :laugh:

ravenest

"Ah yes, I am actually a Macgregor myself."

Or something like that, I dont have the original but I have read reference to the comment: 'Macgregor' Mathers in court on the witness stand (Jones Vs The Looking Glass) has taken the oath with a long list of Christian names followed by the surname, Mathers. "Mathers", he explained - amidst laughter from the court, "dates from 1603 when the name Macgregor was suppressed."
Council then asked, "You commonly go under the name Macgregor?"
"Yes, from my great-great-grandfather, from whom I have a Franco-Scottish title."

Mathers then went on to explain how Crowley had been introduced into the Rosicrucian Order and subsequently expelled from it. He had known Crowley to go under several different names. "Once," Mathers said in the witness box, "he even called himself Macgregor ... and with hardly any knowledge of the history of the name." (Laughter in court.) "He couldn't even tell me what line of Macgregor he came from." (More laughter in court.)

[It sounds like a fun court case, the whole transcript must make amusing reading; eg. Dr. Berridge takes the stand and takes the oath. Justice Scrutton replies, "Please do not invent oaths of your own. Parliment has framed the form of the oath for you."}

Aeon418

Scrutton. I can't read that name without remembering Crowley's anagram. :laugh:

ravenest

I can imagine, but you'll have to remind me