Words behind the 'Art' Card?

rachelcat

rachelcat said:
2 : to purify (as alcohol) especially by repeated or fractional distillation

I asked my husband (who's a chemistry teacher) about fractional distillation. He said all distillation is fractional. It means separating different kinds of liquids that are mixed together by boiling and condensing them. If you have two liquids (each a "fraction" of the mixture) with different boiling temperatures, you can heat the mixture to a certain temperature and one liquid will boil and turn into a gas while the other stays liquid in the pot. Then you cool down the gaseous one into liquid again, and voila!, you have separated the liquids (purified them from contamination by each other!). Often this is repeated for thoroughness.

What does this have to do with the Art card? I'm not sure. The card does seem to be more about combining than separating . . . Maybe the alchemist separates fire and water, purifies them separately, and then combines them again?? Solve et coagula???

By the way, I think the Breszny quote I started with is also about combining. It was part of a series of observations about owning the Shadow (Jungian-style). He is saying we should find our shadow in our subconscious, acknowledge it as part of us (rectify/perfect it?), and combine the useful parts with our conscious life and actions.

I love the whole Temperance-Art-9 of Wands continuum and all its meanings! So much to learn and so much to use.

ravenest

See fire as Will, water as Love. Now look at the Art Trump. I the art of Love under Will. The old patterns need to retictified. A distillation is needed (to purify the love* (and the will) but also a combining in correct proportion, this creates a new energy when in harmony.

All the processes of this type of alchemical working are in the self and as each self is different so will be the application of the process.

*eg Love can be tainted (or mistaken for) possession, insecurity, lust, etc,

euripides

This might be of interest.

http://www.crcsite.org/Tabulatext.htm

that symbol is all right there personified in the Art card.

see the lion and eagle on the sheilds? (reversed? why?). The sun and moon pouring into the chalice aboove the (what is that, a goddess symbol? venus/high priestess?) - which is embodied by the figure in the card.

I don't think the word Art here means art as in painter/artist.

a couple of definitions from the free dictionary:

1. - Human effort to imitate, supplement, alter, or counteract the work of nature.

a. A system of principles and methods employed in the performance of a set of activities: the art of building.
b. A trade or craft that applies such a system of principles and methods: the art of the lexicographer.
a. Skill that is attained by study, practice, or observation: the art of the baker; the blacksmith's art.
b. Skill arising from the exercise of intuitive faculties: "Self-criticism is an art not many are qualified to practice" Joyce Carol Oates.

this is fascinating. I'm going to have to get myself a Thoth!

ravenest

X cellent idea euripides! (he he another one hooked )

Thanks for the link, an interesting site.

rachelcat

Thanks, euripides, for the great link. It is very informative. I hadn't really thought about there being 7 words in the phrase to go with 7 metals and planets. Lots to think about!

I got off on a tangent about the chakras mentioned in this article, so I started a new thread here: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=883791#post883791

rachelcat

OMG, here I am two and a half years later! Now with my IDS study of this card! I'm still working on it! And I've done a small bit more alchemical studying, so maybe this will make more sense!

Here it goes!

Art is “my” card--I’m a 5--a Hierophant trying to be an Art!

I hate to get all purist, but I’m pretty happy with Art meaning THE Art, alchemy. The extension to art as in creative art DOES work very well, however. (I think I’m just jealous!) Combining unlike things to create something new and full of life—hey, same thing! Ok, I’m convinced . . .

Lovers and Art are a related pair. They are Gemini and Sagittarius, which are “across” from ( I guess the correct astro term is “opposed to”) each other. Now the Empress and Emperor are now TRULY united (and interchanged)!

Crowley said magic is the art and science of making things happen in accordance with the will.
Lovers is science (analysis=solve); Art is art (synthesis=coagula).

Ok, I have a problem with “solve et coagula.” I understand when people say/think that solve means divide, like you can dissolve a company, marriage, government, etc. BUT, chemically, when something is dissolved, like salt in water or sugar in coffee, it is COMBINED so closely that you can’t see that they’re two different things, the taste, too. So when I think literally, solve as divide is confusing. Jumping ahead, “rectification” or at least distillation is ACTUALLY dividing, separating liquids by their boiling point. But coagula is definitely joining. So maybe it should be “rectify and coagula.” <Rant/musing over, back to our regularly scheduled Art card.>

Let’s look at all the joining and interchanging in Art. The Empress and Emperor are now one person with interchanged color heads and arms. S/he is pouring water and fire together into the pot. The pot is boiling over water and fire, too. The lion and eagle have grown and exchanged colors. (Leo and Scorpio are also “across” from each other.) Maybe they are grown as in sexually mature, ready to mate. Because I think the E & E are, too. They are combining red blood with white semen.

Pre-scientific Europeans thought a baby was formed of menstrual blood that was somehow “organized” and given its life force by semen. (Feminist rant aside, this is a good guess, but now we know the blood is just a cushion for the baby!)

I think it’s just odd that Crowley and his commenters go on about male blood and female gluten. How can they be so tied to red=male white=female to not realize red blood and white semen makes so much more sense?, besides the fact that everything else is interchanged anyway! (Book said female gluten is (natural!) sexual lubricant, but what is male the blood? If there’s male blood involved, I’m afraid somebody’s not doing it right!)

ANYWAY, mechanics aside!, the Art person is creating a child, something new and full of life, the hidden stone!

The arrow in front of the person shows the Tree of Life path of Art/Sagittarius, straight up from the Moon (Yesod) to the Sun (Tiphareth), another joining of female and male, water and fire. This path is shown on the 9 of Wands. This is also implies the marriage of the soul to the HGA--in other words, connecting your normal, everyday self (Moon) to your Higher Self (the best you can be!) (Sun).

Her dress is green with bees and snakes to show life force and nourishment. Bees=feminine, snakes=masculine, too.

Duquette says it is a low-cut neckline with 6 breasts showing. Snuffin says it is a lamen showing the 6 middle sephiroth, 4 through 9. (The lamen is the weapon of Tiphareth. So what’s a lamen and how is it a weapon?) Crowley does say they are breasts, showing that the Art woman is Diana of Ephesus. So obviously lots more nourishment! (Digression: I remember reading something about early church history connecting the official declaration of Mary as “Mother of God” with the city of Ephesus, and speculation that it was because the city was so steeped in mother worship to begin with. I just googled and found out that tradition says that Mary lived her last days in Ephesus with John the apostle, and her house is a pilgrimage site there.)

Diana is the huntress, and her bow is the rainbow (and the moon). (It’s also a harp in the Priestess.) (Sagittarius has a bow and arrows, too!) A rainbow is a REAL combination of water and fire--that takes place in the air and is seen from earth! Let’s get all 4 in here! The combination of rain and sun is also life and growth. The rainbow also symbolizes a promise (to Noah) and a bridge between heaven and earth. Crowley also connects it, through the coat of many colors, to a savior (Joseph). He also says Jesus. Does anyone know a story about JESUS and a coat of many colors?!

The cauldron is gold. Like the hidden stone is hidden right in front of us! It has an equal-armed cross showing all 4 elements combined equally, not just fire and water. And it has a crow on a skull. I just see that as all life comes from death. A lot of veggies have to die to keep me going! And they come from dead veggies and animals, etc. And putrefaction is an alchemical operation that calls for introducing new life (the yeast or whatever) to the dead matter. The books go into alchemical stuff about the dross at the bottom of the pot is called the caput mortem. Hey, maybe that’s the stone that was rejected by the builders?! But Crowley would say that’s aeon of Osiris thinking.

The egg of the Lovers (and Hermit and Magus) sure has grown, too! Duquette suggests Art is taking place within the egg! And behind it are stars. It looks like outer space. So we are in the interior of the earth?

Which brings us once again to VITRIOL. I feel like I don’t fully understand (or even kind of understand!) this yet. In a way, I’m always working away at it. Like a koan. Maybe I will find the hidden stone and become enlightened. Stranger things have happened I guess.

Vitriol is the universal solvent. So why are we trying to dissolve everything? Putrefaction again? Dissolving the old life to create a new life? Easy for you to say . . . Every second a new world is created. You never step into the same river twice, etc.

Vitriol is made from the union of the three alchemical qualities(?), Sulfur (Emperor), Mercury (Magus), and Salt (Empress). We have E&E combined. The arrow represents Magus (the true will). (Now I’m just parroting what I read, but I’ll get it someday!) I have tried to get what these three things are and how they are different than the elements, and it finally hit me that they are the qualities in astrology—Cardinal, Fixed, Mutable. Well, cardinal, mutable, fixed. So it’s starting to make more sense, at least that they’re not the elements.

Rectification we decided is distillation, purifying of two liquids of each other. Even Crowley was talking about purification. So is rectification separating and then mixing in the proper proportions?

Crowley’s idea of purification is “without lust of result” “unassuaged of purpose.” In Buddhist terms, action without residue. An enlightened person can do anything because she is not attached to the action. She just does what needs to be done. Bodhisattvas help people because people need help. They don’t get points for it! But regular people DO get points for helping people. They are still attached to the results of their actions. When bodhisattvas in training do a good deed, they also dedicate the merit of the action to the benefit of all beings. It’s like a 2 pointer, but also a 0=2; they have secondarily unattached themselves to the result.

The picture and article linked earlier in this thread mentions that the VITRIOL phrase has 7 words and so can be correlated with the 7 metals/planets and alchemical operations. (And chakras, but I’m not going there this time!)

Here are 2 ways we can do it: in alchemical metal/planet order (not Chaldean “regular” planet order) or how the words align with the metals/planets in the picture. I am including the alchemical operations that Houck associates with the metals/planets. (Yes, Alchemy for Dummies, but it’s really very good! Especially for this dummy!)

Straight order (I think this works best, especially occultum=moon, lapidem=gold!)
Visita Lead Saturn Calcination
Interiora Tin Jupiter Dissolution
Terrae Iron Mars Separation
Rectificando Copper Venus Conjunction
Invenies Mercury Fermentation
Occultum Silver Moon Distillation
Lapidem Gold Sun Coagulation

Picture order
Visita Silver Moon Distillation
Interiora Copper Venus Conjunction
Terrae Tin Jupiter Dissolution
Rectificando Mercury Fermentation
Invenies Lead Saturn Calcination
Occultum Iron Mars Separation
Lapidem Gold Sun Coagulation

Hmm, none of these match up distillation with rectificando, so this might be another chakra-like debacle. But I’m still thinking about it.

In a reading: Union of opposites to make a new, third living thing. Inner growth by leaps and bounds. Synergy—the result is more than the sum of its parts! And, yes, art or the art of living!

beanu

Sorry I'm late

Hi RachelCat,

I have a theory also that relates alchemy, tree of life and tarot,
but its not consistent with the Thoth deck, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt and be prepared to translate between two systems....

Art is traditionally Temperance, yes?
RWS deck a solar angel pours liquid between two vesels. Looks like Alchemy to me!.

One of the problems with Alchemy was that there were different numbers of steps in the great work, varying by author, plus they tend to admit that they muck around with the sequence. This makes it difficult to learn anything.

However, there is a sub-Art of Alchemy, called Spagyrics, which is the process of making elixirs, or herbal medicine, tinctures, call it what you will.
This process is well known, and with a bit of lateral thinking fits well onto the Tree of Life. Here goes.

Begin with an appropriate herb - the basic material - Earth - the World - Malkuth - Assiah.

Crush it up to destroy the physical form, allowing its "soul" to be freed. - Death card - Yesod - Sun (Physical and Moon (Soul) mixed together in a mash.

Split the mash into three portions.

Portion 1.
Process according to Hod, Geburah and Binah - Left hand pillar - Boaz.

Portion 1 Step 1 - Heat and burn it to ash - Calcination - Hod. Devil and Tower cards

Portion 1 Step 2 - Dissolve the ash in a solvent (see Portion 2 Step 2), typically water and alcohol mix for Spagyrics, Vitriol elsewhere. Skim off the ask and take the liquid, which now contains the "body salts" - body, alchemical salt, and purify it by repetitions of Solve and Coagulate.
To do this, put the solution into a Watch Glass (glass face to a clock). Allow the solvent to evaporate. The salts will be left as crystals, usually white, with impure muck at the centre. Harvest the pure crystals and discard the muck.
Dissolve again, and evaporate, repeatedly, purify the body/salt.

Portion 1 Step 3 - you should now have pure salts, probably white - the White virgin - Empress and High Priestess, Binah, the pure female essence, the body in which the child grows.

Now we switch to the central pillar - Spirit

Portion 2 Step 1 - Allow the mash to ferment. Death card. Putrefaction.
Either Yesod, or the path from Yesod to Tiphareth (not sure in this context).
Filter the solids out. (Yesod - separation of Sun and Moon)
The result may be considered a wine or beer or cider.

Portion 2 Step 2 - distill the liquid to extract the alcohol. Keep this for now, and use it in Portion 1 Step 2 (Sorry to get out of sequence. Its all bit in parallel ). It is the Solvent, and probably works best at about 50/50 alcohol / water. Modern herbalists typically use brandy as a solvent/base.
Tiphareth, Justice and Wheel of Fortune

Now for the soul/oils - The Right Hand Pillar - Joachim.

Portion 3 Step 1
Keep the herb steeping in the mach. Put it in a sealed glass jar in the sun for several weeks (a lunar cycle?). The warmth from the sun will cause the oils and other liquids to evaporate, then condense on the class, and run back in to the mix. This process is called Circulation. It is also used heavily in the preparation of homeopathics.
This is Netzach, Star and Temperance.

Portion 3 Step 2
distill the oils from the mix. This is Chesed, Hermit and Hanged Man

Portion 3 Step 3
This is the result of the distillation,the Red Emperor. the Soul, the Essential Male Essence, Chokmah, Emperor, Hierophant.

Last Step.
Into the solvent, add the white virgin salts and the red emperor oil.
The result is the Spagyric elixir, which caries the properties of the herb you started with, and its astrological association. Drink up.
If by some chance you get a precipitate forming in this last step, then that would be the philosophers stone. Try not to faint, and please let me know how you did it ;-)
This is Kether, Mage and Fool.
The mixing is also related to the Lovers, the merging of the purified opposites, and to the Alchemical Marriage.

Worlds - the Base Material is Assiah - material. - the World card
the First stages of processing are Yetzirah - emotional - releasing from physical form. - The Death Card
The second stages are purifying - Briah - air - mental - The Judgement Card (rebirth of the soul, now freed from the body)
The purified forms, and their mixing, are Atziluth - fire - spirit.

The Tree of Life provides the map of sequencing the processes,
The alchemical processes are the operations to perform,
and the Tarot maps the one to the other, and relates the alchemical processes to the human condition and initiatory sequence, but thats another story (oops - is this a Tarot forum?)

I'll just post this now, before something crashes, and then try to post an image for it later.
There is a link on my profile that can lead you into a detailed maze of explanation.

B

Yygdrasilian

Wedding Invitation

The acronym, V.I.T.R.I.O.L., is attributed to the 15th century alchemist, Basil Valentine (some say late 16th century). To get better sense of its meaning in this context One must have a grasp of alchemy in practice and alchemy as allegory. In practice, there are specific laboratory procedures which, performed correctly, have repeatable results. To experienced alchemists, some of these could serve as allegories for spiritual practices and experiences that could communicate heretical concepts in a nearly impenetrable technical jargon cloaked by poetic metaphors & emblems.

There are several such alchemical operations integrated in this Book of Thoth, and XIV:Art plays a central role in all of them. One gets a much better picture of how these work when using the Constellations.
For example...

Every 16 years, Earth and Mars make a 7-pointed star - though, to be more specific, they really make two 7-pointed stars (one of conjunctions + one of oppositions: 7 + 7 = 14). This is significant because, when fitting the constellations together, SPIRAL is wrapped around the STAFF:

XVI + XIV = Iron (Hematite) + Vitriolum
...........5...7....disks
......7...5.........wands
...........5...7....cups
......7...5.........swords
...........V + VII

The Caput Mortem (Raven on the Skull) of Iron+Vitriolum makes a Violet pigment - Violet being the highest frequency color in the rainbow of 7 colors...

But this is only a parlor trick for card sharps - one which Crowley actually discouraged.
The real magick requires One to Visit the Interior of the Earth....
Can you guess what's in there?

Nemia

Duquette says it is a low-cut neckline with 6 breasts showing. Snuffin says it is a lamen showing the 6 middle sephiroth, 4 through 9.

Five years later - I just want to add a link to Gichtel's diagram. http://www.edelstein-essenzen.de/en_index.php and http://anthrowiki.at/Meditation

May Gichtel have inspired the "breasts"?

I added two Gichtel illustrations which might from a visual but also alchemical point of view have inspired some elements of Art. The figure to the left represents sinful traits, the figure to the right represents the human after his re-birth in Christ.

Gichtel was a theosophic alchemist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Georg_Gichtel

Just an idea.

Zephyros

Very interesting, Nemia! The figure on the right does bear a striking resemblance to Art, as well as making sense in the context of the card's path on the Tree of Life.