Antique Lenormand

KariRoad

We cannot really open the manual as it is falling apart, oops.
Hi!

I think you need to research the manual. It looks like it is in a box, so I wonder, are the cards the same size, do all fit in the box?

The rounded corners are an interesting detail as well. Read the book, please.

Teheuti

Yes - please report on the booklet if you can find a way to open it.

The top half of the card sometimes shows the Court Cards. I wonderful if the other images could be related to the pip cards that would normally fill that space? Still, there are some non-typical Lenormand cards. How many cards are there?

balusan

booklet

The booklet is a one sheet that holds the information in German, and there are 36 cards in the deck. We have opened and copied it, and you can see it in the pics here. There was no original box, it was placed in another box so sorry no leads there.
It sure seems like a one of a kind

Cerulean

It has three pictures on Christie's auction site as lot 142

one of several Austrian cartomancy decks, page 113 in the catalog. Piatnik and Sohn, circa 1900, it was sold as 36 cards in a lot of seven decks that was valued together at three to five hundred dollars. The booklet is said to be "with losses", so could be your set was from the Kaplan auction.

If no one else finds it at the Christie's online site, I could look later.
My 1870 deck is also fragile, looks different than yours. I posted pictures in the 1870 German Lenormand deck thread...if you cannot find it on Aeclectic.net Lenormand foru, I will try to link you to it or you can send a pm to me.

Cerulean

There are scads of old/antique Lenormands, many of them German. It will take awhile to look through the list at the Lenormand Museum (http://www.lenormand-museum.com/sitemap.php), but there's a go od chance you'll be able to find what you're looking for there.

Can you possibly post some pictures of your deck?

(Edited to add: Pictures of the accompanying booklet would be very helpful, too. There might be a title, copyright date, or other identifying information that those who read German could recognize.)

Cerulean

Here is the description and will upload a picture from the Christie's Auction catalog

Unfortunately, as I checked online at the Christie's Auction House catalog, the Lot 142 partial photograph doesn't seem to be listed. Here is the complete description as transcribed from page 113 of 2006 Historic Cards and Games: the Stuart and Marilyn Kaplan Collection: Wednesday, June 26, 2006.

The description is so like your deck, I really think yours is from the Kaplan collection.

Lot 142...(last deck listed of 7 sold together)...

circa 1900, maker unknown, 36 of 36 cards, lithography, each card is horizontally divided, the bottom half more or less corresponds to traditional Lenormand series, the top half often are engmatic, both designs are framed by planetary and zodiacal symbols, the imagery may have been inspired by cards published in Berlin by Beuckert & Radetzki in 1880, backs are dots and crescents in black, colorful tuck box flat (from another deck?), instruction sheet with losses, one card has some surface loss otherwise in generally fine condition.

The lot of 7 decks were priced together as $300-500.

Hope this helps you to enjoy your deck. I will upload a picture of the bottom row of cards, which is like your deck. Only three are pictured.

It took a some time to locate this, and it wasn't actually what I was looking for--I just remembered your query and hope this is what you were trying to find..

IheartTarot

The German Lenormand deck origin has been described by DDD "Wicked Pack of Cards" at p. 141.
It developed as "Spiel der Hoffnung" (Game of Hope) and it was a race game (made with cards, which were composed to a playing board in the mid of the table), , produced by G.P.J. Bieling in Nuremberg in Germany.
I looked it up and found an announcement of the year 1799 in a book made by the publisher G.P.J. Bieling. The book itself has humorous aspects and nothing to do with the game, the author writes with pseudonym.

http://books.google.de/books?id=kU9...AzgK#v=onepage&q="Spiel der Hoffnung"&f=false

Bieling was just a publisher, it's not naturally given, that he was the author. The printing house existed since 1760.

Depaulis notes, that the primary interest was in the running game, but thatsome explanation text offers the iea, tha one could also useit in a diviniatory manner, but would have to keep 4 cards aside (so they likely knew a 32-cards-divination-system, but not a system with 36 card).

The divination cards (DDD states, that they existed about 1850) later took the name "Petit Lenormand". But: It was never produced in France, though beside in Germany in Belgium, Austria and Switzerland. The version is still rather popular and it's a question, if in Germany Petit Lenormand or Tarot decks have the higher acceptance.

Huck, in case you did not know there is now a picture of the Game of Hope on the British Museum website (discussed in this thread).

I have written a blog post about the collection bequeathed to the British Museum that includes this deck ("Lady Charlotte's gift"). A few of the decks in the extensive collection are actually named after Mademoiselle Lenormand, including one 36 card "piquet pack" dated late 19th century that was published in France (see British Museum website - no picture online and I am not in a position to visit the museum unfortunately).

Cerulean

Here's the picture from lot 142 of Christie's 2008 auction catalog, the circa 1900

Unfortunately, as I checked online at the Christie's Auction House catalog, the Lot 142 partial photograph doesn't seem to be listed. Here is the complete description as transcribed from page 113 of 2006 Historic Cards and Games: the Stuart and Marilyn Kaplan Collection: Wednesday, June 26, 2006.

The description is so like your deck, I really think yours is from the Kaplan collection.

Lot 142...(last deck listed of 7 sold together)...

circa 1900, maker unknown, 36 of 36 cards, lithography, each card is horizontally divided, the bottom half more or less corresponds to traditional Lenormand series, the top half often are engmatic, both designs are framed by planetary and zodiacal symbols, the imagery may have been inspired by cards published in Berlin by Beuckert & Radetzki in 1880, backs are dots and crescents in black, colorful tuck box flat (from another deck?), instruction sheet with losses, one card has some surface loss otherwise in generally fine condition.

The lot of 7 decks were priced together as $300-500.

Curious cards. Slightly different from traditional Lenormand cards as there is a Rabbit card and a grapes (?) card and a Cat card (which you find it Sibillas) and invariably means "Treachery" (*sigh*).

What a lovely thing to have!

Attachments

• austra1900lenormand (2).jpg
    austra1900lenormand (2).jpg
    81 KB · Views: 183

IheartTarot

This tip led me to a listing of a similar deck in the Schreiber collection at the British Museum (see British Museum website, no picture online unfortunately):

Object types
print (all objects)
playing-card (scope note | all objects)

Materials
pasteboard (all objects)
Techniques
letterpress (all objects)
woodcut (scope note | all objects)
Production person
Published by Beuckert and Radetzki (biographical details | all objects)
Production place
Published in Berlin (all objects)
(Europe,Germany,Berlin (state),Berlin (city))
Date
19thC(late)
Schools /Styles
German (scope note | all objects)
Description
Complete pack of 36 of Mlle Lenormand's playing-cards for fortune-telling, unmounted, uncoloured and without suits
Uncoloured woodcut, letterpress
Backs plain
With printed sheet of instructions, in pasteboard case
Late 19th Century

Inscriptions
Inscription Content: In pasteboard case on which is a kneeling figure of Mlle. Lenormand with the title "Mlle. Lenormand's untrügliche Wahrsagekarten...Vorräthig bei Beuckert & Radetzki, Berlin, alte Jacobstrasse 86".

Dimensions
Height: 84 millimetres
Width: 57 millimetres

Curator's comments
Each card has two emblematical subjects and a border containing cabalistic signs.
Acquisition date

Acquisition name
Bequeathed by Lady Charlotte Schreiber (biographical details | all objects)

IheartTarot

Case closed

no color on the back of the card

the imagery may have been inspired by cards published in Berlin by Beuckert & Radetzki in 1880, backs are dots and crescents in black

Uncoloured woodcut, letterpress
Backs plain

I am pretty sure you have a copy of the Beuckert and Radetzki deck that is sitting at the British Museum. :)