Others touching my cards

PlatinumDove

Everytime I go to have my cards read, the reader always has me shuffle and cut the cards, maybe its a way of getting the querent involved in the process?

Tarot Girl

i dont know

when i first started tarot card reading i was tought how to do a client and she let them shuffle and pick cards out like i do some times my tarot cards can be stubbon. But i belive it is the best way so that i will get a reading for them not me. And i never let anyone touch my tarot deck unless i am reading there cards.

Tarot girl xx

sharpchick

Depends on the energy I'm getting from the Seeker. If they act afraid of the cards, or act as if this is a real lark and not something serious, then I do all the card handling. Otherwise, I ask the Seeker to shuffle and cut.

WhiteWizzard

Sorceress_Jade said:
When I do readings for others, and granted I have not done many, I do not have them shuffle, split or touch my cards. I perfer not to have people handle them. Though, sometimes I will let people look through the cards afterwards so they can enjoy the images or see what a Tarot deck really looks like.

At any rate, I'm wondering if anyone else does readings where they do not have the subject touch the cards.

-Jade-
The only time others are to touch my cards is to select them out of the deck after I have evenly spread them out, previouisly having shuffled them three times. Then getting them to pick out the ten cards for the CC, or three card spread

ShaktiOm

Before I took up the tarot myself, I relied on others for readings. They always had me shuffle and cut the deck. Now that I read, I decide on a case-by-case basis whether to let someone shuffle. If they seem too negative, emotional or rough, no touchy!

--Shakti

Grizabella

I've recently taken out my old, beloved, aged and worn Buckland and started using it again. I've noticed that the cards are getting pretty limber and it would be easy to bend a card severely if someone weren't careful in shuffling--or even if I weren't careful myself. Although I have a second Buckland in reserve, I may keep the original one just for myself to shuffle if I read for someone else with it from now on.

Normally, though, people are welcome to handle my decks and shuffle them. They're my tools and as such, I don't treat them with superstition and undue reverence any more than I'd do it with my favorite pancake turner. I expect people to be respectful and not careless and silly with my cards, though. I love all my decks and can't afford to be replacing them, so I want them treated carefully.

There are lots of superstitions about tarot and I think that's okay if a person is into that. But I also think the superstition is harmful and adds to the further superstitious belief that the cards are evil or possess spirits or summon evil spirits when they're used. I think if everyone were to just treat them as what they are----tools made of ink and card stock that are expensive to replace----then maybe more respect and less bad superstition would follow us around as card readers.

Daimon link

There are lots of superstitions about tarot and I think that's okay if a person is into that. But I also think the superstition is harmful and adds to the further superstitious belief that the cards are evil or possess spirits or summon evil spirits when they're used. I think if everyone were to just treat them as what they are----tools made of ink and card stock that are expensive to replace----then maybe more respect and less bad superstition would follow us around as card readers.

True, but that is only if you believe superstition. I do not believe the cards are evil, or possessed, but I do believe that there is some sort of magick about it. That is not superstition. I am sure that since there is much that we do not know about the Tarot, that the Tarot is more than simply illustrations on card stock. That is why even though I am a novice to the Tarot, I will keep to my beliefs. Some things you simply cannot prove in this world.

SunChariot

I don't like others touching my decks either. I prefer them to have only my energy as I am the one reading with them. But then again, I don't do readings in person (only on the Net or for friends I type them up and hand them to them), so the only reason someone would have to touch them is just to look at them.

There is only one person in my life now, whom I am falling in love with and whom I know respects Tarot as I do, who I would let look through my decks. For me he would be the first time I ever felt comfortable with someone else touching them, but I would have no qualms about him.

Babs

goddesscarlie

I don't really let others touch my decks, but it is not much to do with energy and more to do with them getting bent etc during shuffling. With friends, I let them touch the cards if they want to look at it, and sometimes I'll fan out the deck and tell them to pick a card... With one group of friends I get them to cut the deck, it's just what for some reason I've always done with them. I have never really read for strangers (except for, say, friends of freinds, people I don't know but have good reason to trust that they will treat my cards nicely if they touch), but I think I wouldn't let complete strangers touch my deck at all. Maybe it is completely rediculas to think someone comming to me for a reading would harm my deck if they cut it or something, but I paid hard earned money for my decks (poor student here! *waves* ) and if anyone is going to wreck them it's gonna be me!

Hemera

I have different decks in this respect. There are a few decks that I don´t let anyone even see, let alone touch! Then there are decks that I let anybody touch as much as they want and decks that let my kids "play" with, so that they get to know them.
I think most people have energies that are neutral or harmless for the decks. But I would not underestimate the meaning of negative energies either.