"antique" Rider Waite deck

Bhavana

This deck is on Etsy right now, price $280. It looks like a nice deck, in good condition, but the coloring seems different from other RW decks - does anyone know which version of the RW that it is? Is it worth this price? Considering even brand new RW decks still have the 1971 copyrite date on each card, how does one tell which are truly vintage and worth a few extra dollars from the newer decks?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/7919192...age=2&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_facet=vintage

Laura Borealis

I wish she'd showed the backs, or had a better picture of the box. It's really hard to tell anything without those. She doesn't show the Fool card, either. If she did, we could compare it with the ones on Holly's Ship of Fools page: http://home.comcast.net/~vilex/ShipofFools.html

It doesn't look antique, does it? Too bright and clean.

I wouldn't consider buying it without pictures of the backs and box. (Though the box might not be the original one.)

jackdaw*

It's a Tarot Productions version of the Albano. Nice condition, very nice. And hey, if it's already been "programmed" ... :laugh:

But I really think it's overpriced. Have a look on eBay and see what vintage Albano's are going for these days.

The crowned one

The Albano-Waite from '68 is a good deal in this market at 100.00 or less. I have seen a few go for 40-60 as of late in poorly worded auctions.

Le Fanu

*rolls eyes*

programmed?

But I think that's a lot....

Bhavana

Wow. Thanks, guys, for all the info. I too think that 280.00 is a lot for this deck - and I wouldn't pay it, not unless I thought it was really worth it and I could be sure to get that amount or more in the future - which I don't think anyone can be positive of. This particular Etsy seller has some interesting things, but most are a little high priced for my budget.

The more decks I have, the more I find myself drawn to the Rider Waite tarot. I have slightly uneasy feeling that I NEED more Rider Waite decks - that regardless of how similar they might seem to most, they really aren't, and all of the subtle differences would make for an interesting collection....however, I am a thrift shop secondhand kind of girl, and patient, and I spend a lot of time on the hunt....even though people seem to be more knowledgeable these days about what they have, there are still always bargains to be found.

Rhinemaiden, the second link for the full deck on ebay is sold, and that went for $55 for the full deck, so yes, deals are out there. And Laura borealis, thanks for the link to that Holly Ship of Fools page...I was hoping there were some sites out there, besides here, where I could learn more about RW.

thanks again for the advice and info...

Bhavana

There is a picture of the box in one of the side bar photos, it looks to be yellow with an image of the sun card on it. I will message the seller to see if she can describe or take a photo of the card backs, and let you all know. I wish I could afford the deck, as I really do love the colors and the condition of it is so great. At least with the backs some mystery will be solved, and if it is the Albano as you all think, then I know what to look for in the future.
Hopefully I will come across a more affordable version, without having to get into a huge bidding war on ebay - I rarely win those! I also need to upgrade my membership here so that I can start trading the decks I have that I don't want!

Laura Borealis

The Etsy seller has added pics of the backs. :thumbsup: