Use of the Body, or: The Gestural Component of Magick

ravenest

I'm interested in what happenes when we put thelemic magick and martial arts together ;)

thorhammer

ravenest said:
I'm interested in what happenes when we put thelemic magick and martial arts together ;)
The Matrix???

\m/ Kat

Aeon418

thorhammer said:
Also . . . what's it for??? What's the point of it??? Halp!
I see that Ravenest has bailed out on this one, so I'll have a go.

Assuming godforms. Why? To directly tap into what a particular god is said to represent. Regardie does a whole chapter on it in The Tree of Life. Have you got that book?
thorhammer said:
So when I do my dawn Resh, I make Isis Mourning (L.) along with "Hail unto thee . . . strength"; Typhon (V.) with "Who sailest(/travellest) across . . . helm."; and Osiris Risen (X.) with "Hail unto thee . . . night." Now, I know that someone will say do what's right for me, and I am, but I have a broader question.
Bloody hell! That sounds more like a morning aerobics routine. :laugh:
thorhammer said:
What the hell do they all mean? In the example of Resh, I can see the three signs as enacting the story of Osiris' death etc, which is okay.
Yes, but there's an underlying theme. The story of Osiris death is acted out in things such as the seasons of the year. Osiris Slain -summer. Mourning of Isis - Autumn. Apophis & Typhon - winter. Osiris Risen - Spring.

Your own consciousness repeats this same pattern everyday too as you go through the daytime, slow down in the evening, slip into oblivion at night, and are resurrected in the morning. Your performance of the LVX signs at dawn is an affirmation of this pattern in your life.

I've never seen anyone intergrate them into the actual performance of Resh though. I usually make the signs and then do the actual adoration in the final sign of Osiris Risen.

thorhammer

Aeon418 said:
Assuming godforms. Why? To directly tap into what a particular god is said to represent. Regardie does a whole chapter on it in The Tree of Life. Have you got that book?
Nope. Adding to the list (*sigh*) . . .
Bloody hell! That sounds more like a morning aerobics routine. :laugh:
:p

I like to think I do it with some semblance of dignity, thankyou :D
Yes, but there's an underlying theme. The story of Osiris death is acted out in things such as the seasons of the year. Osiris Slain -summer. Mourning of Isis - Autumn. Apophis & Typhon - winter. Osiris Risen - Spring.

Your own consciousness repeats this same pattern everyday too as you go through the daytime, slow down in the evening, slip into oblivion at night, and are resurrected in the morning. Your performance of the LVX signs at dawn is an affirmation of this pattern in your life.
I've been getting whispers of this, but thinking of it in such a broad context hadn't occurred to me.

Mind you, where I live, dividing the year into four seasons doesn't really work. I shall ponder on this a bit more, see how things fit in with the seasons here.

I have found (don't know if I've mentioned this here) that each adoration seemed to *want* to be said differently; dawn wants to be shouted, like a trumpeting clarion call. This is difficult when I've just woken up :rolleyes: as my throat doesn't cope well LOL Midday wants a meeting on equal ground, as it were; Hathor seems to challenge me and require that I come up to her expectations. Evening wants to be murmured intimately, ecstatically. And the late night one, I have found, doesn't work unless I don't say it at all, but kind of internalise it, with my eyes closed and head bowed.

Anyway, there you go. More overshare by Kat :D

\m/ Kat

Aeon418

thorhammer said:
I've been getting whispers of this, but thinking of it in such a broad context hadn't occurred to me.

Mind you, where I live, dividing the year into four seasons doesn't really work. I shall ponder on this a bit more, see how things fit in with the seasons here.
Oh, I hadn't considered that. Sorry. :(
Here in the UK the seasons are very distinct from each other, so it's easy for me to see them within the context of the LVX signs.

In an earlier post you mentioned the very Osirian nature of the Golden Dawn LVX cycle. Well there is another LVX analysis that was written by Crowley but was never (legitimately) published.
http://thelemicgoldendawn.net/documents/hexagramrite.htm

The ritual itself is not one of Crowley's, but the LVX analysis is. In fact it's been nicked from one of the (not so) secret OTO initiations. Don't tell Ravenest. :shhh:
thorhammer said:
I have found (don't know if I've mentioned this here) that each adoration seemed to *want* to be said differently; dawn wants to be shouted, like a trumpeting clarion call. This is difficult when I've just woken up :rolleyes: as my throat doesn't cope well LOL Midday wants a meeting on equal ground, as it were; Hathor seems to challenge me and require that I come up to her expectations. Evening wants to be murmured intimately, ecstatically. And the late night one, I have found, doesn't work unless I don't say it at all, but kind of internalise it, with my eyes closed and head bowed.
Hey, if that's how the practice is working for you, go with it. Remember ritual acts on the subconscious as well the conscious mind. Once it's firmly planted in there it acts like a sort of a bridge that allows all manner of stuff to come through. Go with it. :D

ravenest

Aeon418 said:
I've never seen anyone intergrate them into the actual performance of Resh though. I usually make the signs and then do the actual adoration in the final sign of Osiris Risen.

Ditto ... for years.
Then after that I was experimenting for a while with a sorta Resh 'banishing'; the first parts then each 1/4 of the day one after another ion each direction then the adoration - really liked doing it.

ravenest

thorhammer said:
I like to think I do it with some semblance of dignity, thankyou :D

Oh dang! And here I was imagining you in leotards, leg warmers, a Co-Masonic apron and an A.A. hood doing it to Olivia Newton-John's 'Physical'. :laugh:

thorhammer said:

Anyway, there you go. More overshare by Kat :D

Oh no, I think you are on to something: Look at Star Ruby, how each quarter Godname is said differently. Think of the 4 color scales. Color researcher and artist Don Pavey says color can be classified into 4 ranges; those that scream, command, say and whisper. (A flouro color screams and a pastel whispers, etc). If one visualises a differnt god, a different color, etc in each direction and physically turns to a specific direction and assumes a specif mudra or god-form for each quarter, why not use different voices? I reckon its all part of it.

thorhammer

ravenest said:
Oh dang! And here I was imagining you in leotards, leg warmers, a Co-Masonic apron and an A.A. hood doing it to Olivia Newton-John's 'Physical'. :laugh:
You mean that's not dignified??? *gasp* I've been making a fool of myself all this while . . .
Oh no, I think you are on to something: Look at Star Ruby, how each quarter Godname is said differently.
You know, I read through the Star Ruby some time after I started doing Resh as I described, and so that particular aspect of it made TOTAL sense to me. Haven't started working with it yet, though.

\m/ Kat