What to Share/Not Share in an Online Reading with Thoth/Thoth-based Decks

stefficus

i'm reeling from all of scion's happy little metaphors! nice to know someone else does that. ;) and probie, "i can't language my feelings well" is utterly splendid. i have that in spades, very evocative way to put that.

*bodily drags herself back on topic*

i've found i have this tendency too, and not just with the thoth (which i just got anyway). i tend to get people reading cards for themselves rather than just doing a reading. since none of these people are paying me, it's not THAT big of a deal, but i do think it's a side-effect of learning and exchanging on here. i get so used to explaining and discussing the cards themselves that i forget a reading in the "real" world isn't about the cards at all, but about the querent. i catch myself doing it and try to stop, but then i think "oh, that's not enough, they don't know how i reached this conclusion, i need to say more to make them know i'm a Serious Reader." you know what, though? so far, nobody has complained that a reading was too short. :laugh: they just want the info.

it's more difficult without f2f feedback, but if you err on the side of brevity, most people will ask if they want more.

Probie

stefficus & Thorhammer Reply

Thanks for getting back to me, you two. I think this all has helped. I actually used the mechanic metaphor from this thread last night. Someone graciously wrote back and wanted an interpretation of my interpretation (that's one for a fail thread! :().

So I used an example of the well-meaning, enthused mechanic and then gave a brief fill. When one card was particularly a power house (20/The Aeon supported by 0/The Fool, Ace of Scepters, and Two of Scepters - Rule, I quipped "it's really strong for a number of reasons, but let's not call the Astro-Tarot mechanic over to explain why, okay?" Went over well-enough...:)

Gains made, slowly but surely...

Professor X

All the astrological/qabalistic information can be used to further elaborate on your reading. It serves to give you more and more information to help the person out with whatever they need to know.

It also serves to illustrate a VERY GOOD point about things like this.

Before I got involved with tarot I used to wonder how Tarot Card readers,fortune tellers,palm readers,etc,etc came by the knowledge they had to make the predictions. I used to wonder just how they knew. Now I see that In addition to having psychic abilities these people were using things that have much antiquity behind them. They are not only utilizing their abilities BUT drawing from wisdom and knowledge that gives excellent directions and guideposts on how to understand how the universe and its different energies function. This is a course of study that is just not suitable for most people to undertake THUS the need for tarot card readers.

To be a reader is to not only have occult/psychic abilities but a knowledge of forces and energies that is beyond the person who is asking the question.
You are a like medium between the physical world and the unseen who is there to decipher what the Tarot is trying to tell the person at hand.

A good master of the occult doesnt tell all they know each time they do something. They merely tell the party at hand enough to suit the purpose.

AJ

When in doubt, read WillowFox.
Then read again.

Probie

AJ said:
When in doubt, read WillowFox.
Then read again.

I'm sorry, WillowFox? Should I google for this information, is this a thread...I really *DO* want to make good use of your suggestion!

gregory

Willowfox is a member here who provides the most succinct readings on record.....

Probie

gregory said:
Willowfox is a member here who provides the most succinct readings on record.....

Oh Great Greggers, may thou providest a link! :D

gregory

There are FAR too many posts. Just do an "advanced search" and put willowfox in the user name slot.

In fact - there are so many in other areas (I just ran one) - restrict the search to reading areas....

Or Using Tarot Cards.

Probie

gregory said:
There are FAR too many posts. Just do an "advanced search" and put willowfox in the user name slot.

In fact - there are so many in other areas (I just ran one) - restrict the search to reading areas....

Or Using Tarot Cards.

Got it! Thanks. Kinda reminds of this book on public speaking that was 400 pages and kept saying, "Be succinct." :laugh:

willowfox

Probie said:
I'm sorry, WillowFox? Should I google for this information, is this a thread...I really *DO* want to make good use of your suggestion!

Just keep it simple, don't waffle, lose the padding and just tell them what they want to know.

What more do you need to know, nothing.