Can the Liber T be read just like the Thoth?

Lillie

ravenest said:
Lillie - now your've done it! I want a Thoth converted Hello Kitty Deck (Hello Sekhmet?) - its already 'coming through' ; tarty, drunk, naked kitty on Beast's back ...

Well cool!

You draw it, I'll buy it :D

Aeon418

Emily said:
It's the small images that do it, I take the card as a whole but sometimes it is just the smaller images that speak to me.
This is one of those areas where the modern concept called intuitive reading clashes with the system that Golden Dawn decks, including the Liber T, are based upon.

Card number & suit* + planet in zodiac sign = Minor card meaning.
(*Sephiroth & Qabalistic plane)

Decans and decan imagery are nuance and shading.

Professor X

The main sticking points for me in the Liber T are the court cards. I always have difficulty with those. Any study of those on the Liber T will definitely help me when I get a Thoth deck.

I started working with the Liber T last night and made some headway into things. I do eventually want a Thoth because I am attracted to that deck. But the Liber T is a good place to start.

All of the advice on this thread has been very insightful. The occult decks are the tarot decks that take time to fully master. The more you learn about the occult the more you learn about how the decks really work.

The thing about the Thoth that intrigues me is what Lillie said about it on another thread. The fact that Crowley distilled ALL of the occult knowledge he learned in his life into the deck makes it intriguing to me. Have you guys ever heard of how they say that a christian preacher gives his most sincere sermon right before his death? Thats what the Thoth represents to me. Crowley did this deck in the years close to his death thus it has a special authenthic value in my eyes. In my view it shows his sincerity in conveying the knowledge that he knew. The Thoth to me is something special. Something unique that most people in the occult world dont even truly appreciate.

The Liber T is a excellent deck to learn with to get ready for a deck with the complexity and meaning of the Thoth. Thats just my view on the situation.

Professor X

Aeon418 said:
Decans and decan imagery are nuance and shading.

I agree. I dont like the decanic images on the Liber T.

Emily

The Thoth is special, there isn't another deck like it, as much as I love the Liber T - I know that there wouldn't be a Liber T without the Thoth - so I have a lot to thank Mr Crowley for and, of course, Frieda Harris. :)

Have you tried asking in trade for a Thoth? If you don't like the way the Decans are portrayed on the Liber T, then it might turn into a hassle to use the deck.

Le Fanu

Funny, but I was surprised at how quickly the Courts in the Thoth made sense to me and still do. They speak much more vividly to me than the court cards in either the RWS/Marseilles systems, and when I read with the Thoth I feel I can read the Courts fairly easily.

I think one of the "failings" of the Liber T is that the courts have been made bland. They feel lifeless somehow compared to the rest of the deck.

WolfyJames

Le Fanu said:
I think one of the "failings" of the Liber T is that the courts have been made bland. They feel lifeless somehow compared to the rest of the deck.

Lifeless? That is a matter of opinion. I consider the Liber T superior to the Thoth on every level, court cards included, but that is my opinion. The court cards in the Liber T, like the majors, are pretty much the same as in the Thoth. It's the minor arcanas that differ from the Thoth with the egyptian decans additions.

And yes, the Liber T can be read just like the Thoth.

Aeon418

WolfyJames said:
like the majors, are pretty much the same as in the Thoth.
I not a big fan of the Liber T major arcana. Every time I look at them I keep thinking of Walt Disney. :laugh:

Professor X

2 things have happenned since I put this thread up.

1st- Always Wondering volunteered to send me a Thoth Deck since I didnt have the money get one. I hope her kindness will be returned to her 1000 times over. I really appreciate it. The deck should arrive in the next 2 or 3 days. Not only that but after she said she would send me one another person offered as well,which is just amazing. Of course I let them know another person already offered to do so.

The 2nd situation is that I am currently staying with what you could call my father in law. Well to put it plainly I see I need to move out of there as soon as possible. This week I plan on getting out of there. I cannot remain there and need to move but with limited resources that can be difficult. So I did a tarot spread for the days of this week to see how things are going to turn out. The deck I used was the Liber T deck.

Here are the results:

Monday- 8 of Cups- Inertia
Tuesday- The Chariot- Chariot of Power,Victory,Triumph.
Wednesday- The Magus- Control of 4 elements, forces of cosmos.
Thursday- 4 of Spheres- Power,economic realization
Friday-8 of Spheres- Concealment, Strategic Withdrawl

I can tell you what I have never had 2 major arcana cards show up in a weekly reading before. Thats two days in a row of cosmic forces acting on my life. I can only conclude that things are going to happen to help me to get out on my own because I see clearly that is time despite my circumstances. I hope the 8 of Spheres and its strategic withdrawl point to me being moved out by then. The 4 of Spheres certainly points to a better financial situation for me.

What do you guys think of the results of this spread?

Le Fanu

Your thread has made me go back to working with the Liber T again. The few times I have used it for very serious issues, it never fails to give really meaty readings.

Interestingly, your reading looks like a step by step progression of the phases you will pass through to get your a*s into gear and shake things up; it's definitely there; stagnation, seizing the reins, channelling your energies and finally ending on a note of withdrawal, pulling away. It is also interesting how the 8 of Spheres shows (quite literally) putting down roots. The tree in the left hand side of the card makes me wonder whether you will finally start putting things into motion to put down roots. The LWB also refers to "astuteness" which could be having - perhaps - to be realistic and bide your time.

I do think the key issues here are seizing the reins and channelling your energies.