Looking for Waite's passage/quote from 78 Degrees of Wisdom

Freyja of V

In Rachel Pollack's 78 Degrees of Wisdom, in her description and interpretation of the Strength card she says that:

"Waite describes the flower belt as a second infinity sign with one loop around the woman's waist, the other around the lion's neck"

I have searched for this added description of his and it's not in the Pictorial Key and I have looked at some of his essays and I looked through his Mysteries of Magic and I just can't seem to find it.

Does anyone know where Waite said this?
I would really like to see if maybe he goes more in depth with other cards as well.

Thanks,
Freyja
P.S. Teheuti thanks for starting a PKT study group(s). I look forward to learning so much more from everyone's posts.

Yelell

Ok, I looked in the bibliography for that book. It says all quotes from Waite were taken from the PKT, but I don't really see that in the PKT either.

The bibliography also mentions Case. Case said
"Around her waist is a chain of roses twisted ... so as to form another figure 8, and Dr. Waite says the woman leads the lion by this chain of flowers."​
I see in the PKT where Waite said the lion is lead by the chain of flowers. So unless I missed it somewhere else it looks like she meant Case?

Richard

As Yelell suggests, Rachel Pollack may be slightly confused as to her source. In P. F. Case's The Tarot: A Key to the Wisdom of the Ages, he writes:

Around her waist is a chain or roses, twisted (although this detail is not very clear in the picture) so a to form another figure 8 [like the one over her head], and Dr. Waite says the woman leads the lion by this chain of flowers. It signifies artistic adaptation (chain) of desire (roses). When we learn how to weave our desires together into a chain, rejecting all desires which are incompatible with our main purpose, and co0ordinating those we do decide upon as fitting to our purpose, we shall be able to make wonderful applications of creative imagination to the control and direction of the serpent-power.​

I have quoted the entire paragraph, as I think it is an important interpretation of the sort of strength represented by the card.

In Rachel Pollack's 78 Degrees of Wisdom, in her description and interpretation of the Strength card she says that:

"Waite describes the flower belt as a second infinity sign with one loop around the woman's waist, the other around the lion's neck"

I have searched for this added description of his and it's not in the Pictorial Key and I have looked at some of his essays and I looked through his Mysteries of Magic and I just can't seem to find it.

Does anyone know where Waite said this?
I would really like to see if maybe he goes more in depth with other cards as well.

Thanks,
Freyja
P.S. Teheuti thanks for starting a PKT study group(s). I look forward to learning so much more from everyone's posts.

Richard

Here is P. F. Case's Strength card in the B.O.T.A. tarot. (The red lion is an alchemical reference.)

Attachments

• strength.jpg
    strength.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 216

Teheuti

It seems that the first part (second infinity sign) probably came from Case. I believe there is actually a comma there and that the 2nd part of the sentence (with one loop . . .) is supposed to be her own clarification of that "second infinity sign."

Freyja of V

Thank you so much for your responses.

The bibliography also mentions Case. Case said
"Around her waist is a chain of roses twisted ... so as to form another figure 8, and Dr. Waite says the woman leads the lion by this chain of flowers."​
I see in the PKT where Waite said the lion is lead by the chain of flowers. So unless I missed it somewhere else it looks like she meant Case?

It's funny I looked at the bibliography, but I was only focusing on Waite.

Thank you so much for the pdf link. :thumbsup:

I eagerly went right to the Strength card to see it for myself and there is was, the whole passage LRichard wrote with kindness. Thank you.

I haven't had time to look through the whole book yet, but I am looking forward to it; it's obvious that in this book he goes much deeper. I only have his Oracle of the Tarot and the meanings are brief, so I can't wait to see what he says about each card.

From other threads/posts, it's obvious that you guys really know what you are talking about and have been reading for a long time. Sometimes I have know idea what you are talking about...

But, I am learning so much more from this forum. When I began learning Tarot, only about 2 years ago, I had know idea how much was involved. But I have found it absolutely fascinating. :p

To both of you, thank you again.
Freyja

edited: I wish Waite did give deeper descriptions of his (minor) cards and of the symbolism. I guess he wanted it to be mysterious? I don't know.

edited again: I just read the following from the Secrect of the Waite-Smith: Waite was keeping his vows of secrecy on the symbolism. When he wrote his notes for his work with Trinick, he was more forthcoming; they were only for use within his own mystical Order.

I forgot that I read a while ago that Waite was trying to keep the GD secrets still secret while Crowley didn't.

Freyja of V

It seems that the first part (second infinity sign) probably came from Case. I believe there is actually a comma there and that the 2nd part of the sentence (with one loop . . .) is supposed to be her own clarification of that "second infinity sign."

That is a really good point and she didn't put quote marks anywhere, I just did that for the post.

Freyja of V

Here is P. F. Case's Strength card in the B.O.T.A. tarot. (The red lion is an alchemical reference.)

This is one of those things that I referenced about in the other post; not knowing what some of you are talking about in some threads/posts.

But because of you :), I looked it up on the internet and found this wonderfully complicated explanation at this site:

https://lucinascauldron.wordpress.c...rot-strength-and-how-the-cards-work-together/

And, although it was and is complicated for someone who still hasn't learned all about the astrological, Kabbalah, and alchemical influences, I do have an understanding now of the 3 alchemical lions.

I really didn't want to bother you with it, but may I ask you if you think this is a good explanation and do you have anymore to add?

Thank you.