Energy circle based on Crowley´s zodic

Langustl

....... äh...... looooooooooop.....!!!!!!!!!

(...these Germans, *shakehead *g. )

Aeon418

Langustl said:
But you can´t really transmit this second rope with star and emperor on the tarot usefully. Does Crowley give an answer to that ? I don´t think so.
But Crowley never had to give an answer. His authority and reason for switching the two cards comes from the Book of the Law. For Crowley that was enough.

ravenest

Aeon418 said:
One loop. The only way to balance it is to make another one directly opposite.

Gawd I love that!
I find one thing and then expect it to be balanced.

The only way to balance it is to MAKE another one directly opposite.

So I make it.

Voila! My system is balanced!

Perhaps langustl's rope is the one that Crowley was given enough of ?
... you know the old saying about enough rope ....

Aeon418

ravenest said:
Gawd I love that!
I thought you would like it. :laugh: Who says you can't get new money for old rope? :laugh:

Langustl

I should call it "the rope circle ", :D .

Aeon418

ravenest said:
Perhaps langustl's rope is the one that Crowley was given enough of ?
... you know the old saying about enough rope ....
Crowley does explain it all clearly enough in the Book of Thoth. He even mentions rope too!!! :laugh:

By the way, does any know the meaning of the "reference to a peculiar secret of the ancients which was very deeply studied by Godfrey Higgins"?
I know who Higgins was and that he was a believer in an antediluvian civilisation, but that's about it. Has anyone here read his rare books?
THE ROMAN NUMBERS OF THE TRUMPS

The Trumps are numbered in Roman figures in order to avoid confusion with the Arabic numbers of the Sephiroth. It has puzzled the traditional writers on the Tarot that these numbers should run from 0 to XXI. They seem to have thought that it would be proper to assume that 0 was the Fool, because he was a cipher, a good-for-nothing. They made this assumption simply because they did not know the secret doctrine of the Qabalistic Zero. They did not know elementary Mathematics. They did not know that mathematicians begin the decimal scale with Zero.

To make it quite clear to initiates that they did not understand the meaning of the card called The Fool, they put him down between the cards XX and XXI, for what reason it baffles the human imaginaton to conceive. They then attributed the card number I, the Juggler, to the letter Aleph. In this simple yet ingenious manner they got the attribution of every card, except The Universe, XXI, wrong.

Meanwhile, the true attribution was well guarded in the Sanctuary; it only became public when the secret lection issued to members of the Grade of Practicus of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn was published as a result of the catastrophe attending the English branch of the Order in 1899 and 1900, e.v., and the reconstruction of the whole Order in March and April, 1904, e.v. By putting the card marked 0 in its proper place, where any mathematician would have put it, the attributions fall into a natural order which is confirmed by every investigation.

There was, however, one kink in the rope. The card called adjustment is marked VIII. The card called Lust is marked XI. to maintain the natural sequence, Lust must be attributed to Libra, and Adjustment to Leo. This is evidently wrong, because the card called Adjustment actually shows a woman with sword and scales, while the card called Lust shows a woman and a lion.

It was quite impossible to understand why this reversal should have taken place until the events of March and April, 1904, which are recounted in detail in "The Equinox of the Gods". One need here give only one quotation: "All these old letters of my Book are aright; but (Tzaddi) is not the Star". (AL. 1.57.) This was making darkness deeper. It was clear that the attribution of "The Star" to the letter tzaddi was unsatisfactory; and the question arose, how to find another card which would take its place. An incredible amount of work was done on this; in vain. After nearly twenty years the solution appeared.

The Star represents Nuit, the starry heavens. "I am Infinite Space, and the Infinite Stars thereof." (AL. 1.22.) She is represented with two vases, one pouring water, a symbol of Light, upon herself, the other upon the earth. This is a glyph of the Economy of the Universe. It continually pours forth energy and continually reabsorbs it. It is the realisation of Perpetual Motion, which is never true of any part) but necessarily true of the whole. For, if it were not so, there would be something disappearing into nothing, which is mathematically absurd. The principle of Carnot (the Second Law of Thermodynamics) is only true in finite Equations.

The card which must be exchanged for "The Star" is "The Emperor", who bears the number IV, which signifies Power, Authority, Law, and is attributed to the sign Aries. This proves very satisfactory. But it became infinitely more so as soon as it was seen that this substitution cleared up the other mystery about Strength and Justice. For Leo and Libra are, by this exchange, shown as revolved about Virgo, the sixth sign of the Zodiac, which balances the revolution of Aries and Aquarius about Pisces, the twelfth sign. This is a reference to a peculiar secret of the ancients which was very deeply studied by Godfrey Higgins and others of his school. It is useless to go far into the matter here. But the position is made clear enough by the accompanying diagram. It will be seen at a glance that now, for the first time, is a perfect symmetry established in the Tarot.

The justice of the exchange is evident when one considers Etymology. It is natural that the Great Mother should be attributed to Heh, which is her letter in the Tetragrammaton, while the letter Tzaddi is the natural letter of the Emperor in the original phonetic system, as shown in the words Tsar, Czar, Kaiser, Cæsar, Senior, Seigueur, Seflor, Signor, Sir.

Voron

Langustl said:
But you can´t really transmit this second rope with star and emperor on the tarot usefully. Does Crowley give an answer to that ? I don´t think so.

Well, the Star and the Emperor (or Star and Tsar, as I like to think of it) debate seems to be a favorite topic of Crowley/Thoth enthusiasts.

Essentially, it all goes back to the line from the Book of the Law:

"All these old letters of my Book are aright; but [Tzaddi] is not the Star. This also is secret: my prophet shall reveal it to the wise. "

It's rather confusing, and Crowley appears contradictory about this even within his own writings, as they were written at different periods of his life, but here are the basics as I understand them:

1. The Hebrew Qabalistic Tree of Life, is the basis for the whole tarot.
Here's a pic: http://z.about.com/d/altreligion/1/0/N/q/1/tol17.jpg

2. There are 22 paths connecting 10 Sephira, and they correspond (in roughly decending order) with the Trumps and the letters of the hebrew alphabet, the planets, signs, and elements (with the last two trumps doing some double-duty.)
3. The GD made some changes in order and attributions to make certain symbolism "fit" better. These centered around Strength/Lust and Justice/Adjustment. Specifically, in the alteration, the pathway Lust was from (4) Chesed/mercy to (5) Geburah/strength, instead of the (logically) 11th* path (5) Geburah to (6) Tiphareth/beauty. It's correlations: (4)-(5), Leo, Teth, Atu XI. Adjustment was given (5)-(6), Libra, Lamedh, Atu VIII. In this case, some parts are "switched" out of their logical order -- he put Adjustment's number at VIII (its pre-GD placement, Waite notwithstanding), but left the astrological, pathway and alphabetical correlations unswitched.

(*-ordinal 11th, not the 11th qabalistic mystical path, which is the Fool)

4. The Book of the Law, (1904) Crowley's famous inspired piece of automatic writing and the center reference-point for his whole world-philosophy (and which he says he had a love-hate relationship with over many years) gives the quote above (I:57).
If Tzaddi (which means "fishook" in hebrew and traditionally connects (7) Netzach/victory and (9) Yesod/foundation) is not the Star, what is Tzaddi? He thought it was the Emperor, which was traditionally associated with the letter "Heh", which means "window" and is used in the divine name I-H-V-H. Crowley noted that changing "Heh" from the Emperor to the Star changed this divine name from Hermit-Emperor-Heirophant-Emperor to Hermit-Star-Heirophant-Star, thereby balancing the formula between masculine and feminine. It allowed the idea of father-mother-son-daughter to more naturally be expressed in the formula.
Crowley thought that the Star more naturally expressed the ideas of heh/window and the path (2)-(6) (wisdom/chokmah to beauty/tiphareth) than did the Emperor, whereas "fishhook" and "Victory-Foundation" fit great with the Emperor.

Crowley did *not* want to change either the numerical position of either the Tsar and the Star, preferring to keep them at IV and XVII, respectively, nor the astrological associations of Aries and Aquarius.

You may note that there appear to be some internal inconsistencies in his switches with regards to whether paths or numbers or signs were switched, or some, or neither. There are. Or so it seems to me. Inconsistencies aside, I think that his associations more or less work -- certainly one can see the Star as bringing the light of divine wisdom down to the center of Beauty in the divine-human. I just tell myself that there are no rules and the universe is the way it is, and there has to be an element of chaos in all order, or the 'system' would be stagnant.

I am reminded that I may or may not have actually answered the question regarding the double-loop. Lets try it this way:

Order of Astrological Trumps:
numberical (Atu #) - alphabetic - astrological:

IV/Emperor ---- Heh/Window/Star ---------- Aries/Emperor
V/Heirophant ----- Vav/Nail/Heirophant -------- Taurus/Heirophant
VI/Lovers -------- Zayin/Sword/Lovers -------- Gemini/Lovers
VII/Chariot ------- Cheth/Fence/Chariot ------- Cancer/Chariot
VIII/Adjustment-Teth/Serpent/Lust --------- Leo/Lust
IX/Hermit -------- Yod/Hand/Hermit ----------- Virgo/Hermit
XI/Lust ------- Lamedh/Ox-goad/Adjustment - Libra/Adjustment
XIII/Death ------- Nun/Fish/Death ------------- Scorpio/Death
XIV/Art ---------- Samekh/Prop/Art ----------- Sagittarius/Art
XV/Devil --------- Ayin/Eye/Devil -------------- Capricorn/Devil
XVII/Star ----- Tzaddi/Fishook/Emperor ----- Aquarius/Star
XVIII/Moon ------ Qoph/back of head/Moon ---- Pisces/Moon

if you wrap this list around upon itself, you can see that the 'anomalous' trumps have exactly one sign between them -- the hermit and the moon -- this is the basis for Crowley's assertion of a 'double-loop'.

For what its worth.
Your mileage may vary.