Where to begin... (Thoth Newbie)

Johnny Lupe

So, I just got this new deck, and I feel so overwhelmed. I'm not exactly sure what spread to use, let alone how to read them. I read that they're not meant for reading so how exactly do you do it?

I shuffled the deck, and after cutting it pulled out one card, just to see what I would get first, and sortof wondering how my experience with the deck would be. I got the Ace of Disks, and stared at it blankly. It just wasn't hitting me, and I have to admit I was pretty upset. Any ideas to what this might have meant?

I might not have been focusing enough, and guess that I just have to sortof muck around with the deck, until I feel like they're really mine. I dislike the feel of new things... anyone else get the need to roll new stuff around in dirt for a while to connect with them? This goes for clothes, games, and everything else too :p

Anyway, apart from buying the book right now (I'm getting it soon), what do you reccomend doing to better understand what the cards are trying to say, and to connect with them better.

MysticMason

You may want to look at one or more of these books before attempting to read A.C.'s "Book of Thoth":

- Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot (Lon Milo Duquette)
- Keywords for the Crowley Tarot (Hajo Banzhaf and Brigitte Theler)
- Integral Tarot: Decoding the Essence (Suzanne Wagner)
- The Crowley Tarot: The Handbook to the Cards (Akron, Hajo Banzhaf, Aleister Crowley, Frieda Harris, Christine M. Grimm)
- Tarot: Mirror of the Soul : Handbook for the Aleister Crowley Tarot (Gerd Ziegler)

Tesseljoan

While you're waiting on the book, you might want to take a look at the forums here. I recently started using the Thoth after a hiatus of ten years, and the posts on the Thoth forum help me a great deal.

O, and I agree on the feel of new things. I deliberately pokershuffle my cards to make them 'older'.

mooiedragon

Hey Johnny,

Read the post on the Ace of Disks from this forum.... seems a very auspicious card to draw as an introduction to Thoth! I had my deck for over a year before I really started to take it seriously. TJ has the right idea - this forum has been my only guide besides the tiny little booklet that the cards came with, and while I do think to really understand them the Book of Thoth seems almost necessary, the people who post here are have a wealth of knowledge and insight into the meanings of the cards. (except for me... I mostly ask questions) ;-p

A working knowledge of Astrology and kabbalah help, too. Browse around and enjoy!

Mooie

archer1

From my own experience, learn the basic meanings of the cards and all the rest will gradually fall into place. There is a lot of rich symbolism in the Thoth Deck and unless you are familiar with Thelma and Hermetic principal you will most likely look for a different deck.

The books already listed are great use them. But the book of Thoth should be at the top of the list here or anywhere else.....

Lillie

Ace of Discs. (Crowleys favourite card)

You will begin a new relationship with this deck and you will profit from your relationship with it.

Good card, good start.