78 card Jean Noblet Tarot by Jean-Claude Flornoy

Abrac

prudence said:
And, a bonus for me, I finally realized that when one is talking of the Marseille deck, one does not use the "S" at the end, the way one might if talking about the city of Marseilles. :bugeyed: I had no idea. Well done, Robert.
Yes, this solves one mystery for me also.

Abrac

rox said:
why would english speakers dare put an s on Marseille, especially when it doesn't change the pronounciation an iota?
Who can understand why any of English is the way it is? Why isn't food spelled "fud" or cat "kat? ~shrugs~

jackdaw*

le pendu said:
Well thanks for that, there are a couple of things that I messed up, but overall, I think it's a nice box too. Of course, I want it to be PERFECT.
I think you're your own worst critic, le pendu :) The box looks great to me. Aesthetically I think it matches the deck very well. It's simple and classic. And physically, it fits the deck and booklet very well, it's sturdy, and it's well constructed (opens easily, fits snugly, doesn't crumple the hell out of the cards or LWB ...)

I spell Marseille without the S ... now. I didn't until about a year ago.

Debra

Well, in defense of misspelling, let us recall that in French the last half of a word is never pronounced, so how should we know how to spell it?

Or, as we say in French: We, i defe o misspel, le us reca tha i Fran, le ultima ha o wor i neva pronou, so how shou we kno ho t spe i?

Anna

I've often wondered about the s.

I asked a French speaker about this a few years ago. She said it is correct to say Tarot de Marseille or Tarot of Marseilles, but not correct to say Tarot de Marseilles or Tarot of Marseille.

I tend to spell it as Tarot de Marseille these days too.

I think I am going to have to order this deck. It is so beautiful, and it is torture watching you all talk about it!!!!!!!!

gregory

You may as well get the Dodal majors while you're there...... You'll regret it if you don't !!

And the box is fine - leave it alone, le pendu !

Le Marseillais

Other observations

Hello, bonjour ou bonsoir,
Some news from Marseille and so from our closest country France... ;)

Pronunciation:
For France area you are mostly right, frenchies pronunces not all the letters of many words.
But in Marseille, it is different, we pronunce everything !!
Except when we talks to a Parisian because we have to adapt to a foreigner... Ha ha ha !!!

Back to our serious matter, regarding Box, I have been slightly surprised not to find Jean Noblet with Capital letters in first letters of Familly and given name.
It is normal way of writting but freedom is freedom and I don't blame Robert because appart of this detail, I like his box.

Regarding H/ermit , I have been very surprised to find an extension of red left arm that was not designed in artisanal first 22 Majors.
Plus black lines on blue clothe.
Only those who have BNF scans in front of them can understand and agree or disagree with JC Flornoy options/decisions.

Again, freedom is freedom and I am not a professional of images to have a definitive opinion on this item.
Dices has been throwed and are rolling on the Bateleur table...
So many details attract my eyes that it could be a game to compare photos, scans,22 majors version and 78 cards version.
Each card may be has minor or major differences and I know enough myself to be sure that I will burn my eyes on this.

Anyway, I know that to get in touch with the real Tarot history, Jean Noblet Deck is an important deck (an Historical Deck in fact ).
Some years ago, when I discovered this deck thanks to JC Flornoy 22 Majors, I though it was my prefered one.
Now, I am more divided beetwen 6 or 7 decks and Noblet is like an enigma on many points.
Vieville deck is also very enigmatic on many points.
No doubt that this event will "Buzz" a long time in our Tarot Communauty.

Merci Roxanne et Jean Claude :)

Yves Le Marseillais (Here we put an S... ;)

Umbrae

The Jean Noblet is truly a masterpiece. The box is brilliant, the deck even better. The LWB is a treasure. The card stock is amaziing.

Jean-Claude Flornoy should be sainted for his work, for he has given us a gift beyond measure.

As for the S? Forget the S. The real question is how do I pronounce Noblet?

le pendu

Umbrae said:
The Jean Noblet is truly a masterpiece....

Jean-Claude Flornoy should be sainted for his work, for he has given us a gift beyond measure.

I couldn't agree more. Well said.

jackdaw* said:
The more I handle this deck, the more it occurs to me: of the Marseille-type decks I have or have seen, this is the one that feels to me like it might have come straight from the print shop! The reproductions, like the Heron Conver, which show the age of the cards and all, are lovely but I still feel like they're a modern reprint. But other than the slick finish on this one, it feels authentic. It feels like what they must have looked like when they were new.

Does that make sense? Like I had hopped in a time machine back to 1650 or whenever, popped in to see my old buddy Jean and he sold me a copy of his deck straight off the table.

Absolutely. I tried to express that too, but not as well as you have. Flornoy's work is different than any other TdM deck.. it feels "authentic"... like you're holding history in your hand, but it's brand new.

Le Marseillais

Hamlet Or Noblet ?

Hello (before going to bed. in Marseille it is Midnight),

To prononce Noblet ?
Certainly not as Hamlet, but let's say Noblé (with an accent on e, and without prononcing the t).

Do Electronic Tarot Freaks make Electric dreams ?

The Blade Runner

zzzZZZZZZZZ

Yves