Sacred Rose: Favorite and Least Favorite Cards

Onyx

There is something classic about the look of this deck. It captures the feel of the cultural era that produced it. Funky and a bit psychedelic this deck shows a sense of history but also a timeless feel in the images.

We all have our own favorite cards and least favorite cards. In decks we love it can be a hard choice. My favorites can change daily. The other cards I somtimes simply need to work with them to gain an appreciation for their voice and symbolism.

On a personal note, I have a minor issue with some decks. I have been the object of joking when I mention this but I do not like to use decks for readings what have nudity in them. It seems that some decks have just loads of naked people in them. I may be prudish or repressed and I am okay with that but I love seeing decks that are beautifully created but don’t have to have nudity. I was thankful that this deck though has the expected nude images they are tastefully covered.

My Favorite Card in the deck is the Three of Cups. It is the image on the box but I love the way that the woman seems to explode from the water with the three foaming, overflowing goblets. This card just communicates to me the sense of emotional, watery abundance.

My Least Favorite Card in the deck is the deck is the Five of Pentacles. It was a tough choice and I flipped through the deck for half an hour trying to decide which one I could use. It came down to the idea that this card does not express as well as the others. I do not see “Material Trouble” looking at this card because it seems to be a sense of gain in finding the golden rose. Given the keyword for the Fives as “Motivation”, I would consider this almost a card about greed expressing a desire for easy and quick gain. In this sense, I can see the card conveying that message.

Anyone else care to share what is their favorite card and why?

Onyx.

Queen of Disks

I like the Three of Cups too. I like all of the water flowing everwhere.

My favorite cards are the Sun and the Moon. I like the happy little kid gazing at his reflection, with the sun and all of the flowers in the background. And the Moon has the beautiful dancer with the moon balancing on her head.

My least favorite card is the Four of Swords. I do not understand what on earth is going on in that card, or what it has to do with the meanings (traditional and otherwise) of the Four of Swords card. And is that a dog or some other animal the man has as a companion? (My LWB is in French.)

jema

My fave is The Moon too, I just love that little crab tugging at her dress. I love the Death card too, walking between starry sky and sunset.

My least fave is the 3 of Swords and the 8 of Wands, same old same old as in any other RWS deck, slightly disappointing. Also the hand in 8 of wands looks really weird.

Bhavana

This was my first deck. I love the Knight of Cups and the Sun and Moon..and the 5 of swords, the dead guy impaled on all the swords with the blood trickling down over his blue skin....I don't like judgement. The angel looks like some weird rodent animal I never could figure out. There is also a wands card I don't like..but can't remember offhand which one. I really need to get a new Sacred Rose, mine has been to hell and back with me, and there are at least 7 or 8 really damaged cards..

Terrapin

The Sacred Rose is one of my favorite decks. Being new to the FORUM I've tried to search out past posts about this deck, but I got frustrated about not coming up with much. I didn't feel comfortable starting a "new" thread on it as I'm sure it's been talked to death somewhere in the stacks here. So thanks Jema for finding & picking up a thread that's 3 years old.

It took me a while to love this deck. I'd vassilate between just burying it in a drawer or selling it or just giving it away. It kept calling to me though. I know that sounds dramatic and silly, but it really did. "Take me out; look at me!" Sheeesh...

Anyway, I dreamt about it recently and its wild, uncouth images really imprinted on me in the dream and now I consider it one of my favorites.

I really like all of the Knights in this deck. Just awesome. The Sun, Hemit and the High Priestess are fantastic. Love the 10 of Wands, the 8 of Pentacles, and the 10 of Pentacles. Some of the cards that don't sit well (still) are the 9 of Cups, 3 of Swords, the Wands card with "Conan the B." on them, and the World. I've realized not every card has to be my version of perfect.

Overall, a wild and intense deck (with some warmth--the Courts other than the Knights) with colors that look particlularly good in late aftenoon sunlight through the window. Intensely magical.