The Next Step for my Book ???

How would you like TB's OOP book to be reincarnated?

• Convince a new publisher to print it.

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • I like to turn paper pages; please POD it for me.

Votes: 28 50.9%
  • Electronic format; Kindle, Nook, etc. works for me.

Votes: 21 38.2%

• Total voters

tarotbear

... I'm personally wrestling with the POD/Publish for some of my work as well, and don't know where to go with it.... I have a deck I'm working on, and a book that will go with; and I really don't know what I'm going to do when the time comes...you can do kickstart, no doubt. POD for a book? Do they DO that?

Are you asking if you should/could have a printed deck, but the companion book as POD? It could be a little odd (the deck could include info on obtaining the book), but why not? I'll give you a bit of advice: way back when when I was pre-book but may have had a deck, one publisher asked me if the deck had a book or not. A book and a companion deck can be sold separately and also as a boxed set, so the publisher has 3 potential ways to make money off the two objects. A deck and book (set) might be easier to approach a publisher with (even though the deck is usually published by someone else).

You know, Mallah, you could create the dreaded LWB yourself to include with your deck, with directions on how to obtain a larger, more thorough book as a POD.

tarotbear

Love the death card but must admit I prefer the original moon!

Well, firefrost, an interesting potential has been created with the creation of the alternative Moon card. Originally my intention was to create a replacement RWS clone deck to use as the illustrations in my reprint(ed) book, with some connections to the second book. Now that the Majors are completed, another horizon shows up, and it affects both books.

As vain as I am (who, me?) I simply CANNOT put myself in every single tarot card for the 56 Pips ... can we say 'OVERDONE?' Quite truthfully, I am rushing to get this book completed in case I do have a class in tarot to teach this autumn- and in truth that class would be using the RWS cards no matter what my illustrations are. Therefore, can I really deviate too far from the RWS concepts? Secondly, that could potentially mean going back and revising my original text to match ... should I tamper with success? If I match my text to my illustrations it may no longer match the descriptions in my book ~ which is a potential confusion point for my students. I will undoubtably have to adjust some text, and perhaps should title this a 'revised' book?

Back to the Pips ~ I have decided that I will (except for the few obvious cards and the Queens) put myself into only one suit - probably Pentacles - and create a recurring character for each Suit; they will probably all be males, too, which will work in my Men's book. Does the Two & Nine Swords really have to be a woman?

A lot of potential for 'The Butterfly Effect' here!

tarotbear

Last night I did a little 'experimenting' to insert some of the illustrations into the manuscript and check out 'proportions.' I have no idea what the new printing might do, or how big a page would be, so I am using one 'computer page' of WORD as a basis for a printed page. (No idea how that works in a e-publish format.

Based on the size of the illustrations of my original book, I thought the illustrations were too small (2.75" H x 1.58 " wide) altho that proportion worked for that book page layout. Since I am also limiting the card and description to two pages [hopefully across from each other (forgot the term) instead of back-to-back.] The sized card is 3.5" H x 2.05" wide. Since the original illustrations I drew are approximately twice that size, I insert them and adjust them down to half, then arrange the text as best fits the remining area. (I am sure there is an easier way, but it's working so far for me!) I expect to change some of the already-created cards in time, so I am not going too far with this process. I have sent a sample out to select people to see how they think it looks.

Personally, after having the original book type set in different fonts for different things, I think some of the text looks pretty blah; but they recommend on Amazon that you don't go 'font-crazy,' for that will muddle things up.

Shade

Not to throw a wrench into your plans for illustrating your deck as I rather like your drawings but I believe US Games' copyright on the black and white images of the Rider Waite has run out and I know of at least one author who is using a Dover copy of the black and white RW cards to illustrate her book. It's only the colored versions of varying printings that they can still claim the rights to. US Games' lawyers may try to tell you differently.

gregory

Not to throw a wrench into your plans for illustrating your deck as I rather like your drawings but I believe US Games' copyright on the black and white images of the Rider Waite has run out and I know of at least one author who is using a Dover copy of the black and white RW cards to illustrate her book. It's only the colored versions of varying printings that they can still claim the rights to. US Games' lawyers may try to tell you differently.

They DO see it differently. But good point about black and white :)

tarotbear

Never try to second-guess a large corporation run by lawyers.

I will admit, though, that drawing all the cards is quite an ordeal! (I did 8 more today!) However, should the rights to the RWS become available at the start of next year - (as many rumour they are, or are supposed to be) I will still continue to create my male-influenced, RWS knock-off for one of my two books.

Also - Shade - thank you for the link to the indie publisher which I will also look into.

tarotbear

The Four Horsemen of the Elements ...

I decided to work out some of the repeating characters that I want in my Suit cards ... and came up with these! I was trying to come up with a diverse group of men so I can also use them in my Men's tarot book. What do you think?

Not sure about 'Mr Flat Top' - I like the idea, but achieving it in three-dimensional form isn't as easy as I'd like- it can end up looking like a Crown Roast instead of a hair cut! Since most of the characters appear in 3/4 profile ... it may take a awhile. However, I can still work on the other suits and leave the Cups for now, or do his body minus the heads and draw them in at a later date!

REVISED - Mr Flat Top is now 'Mr Workout' with a few more Water motifs, including a 'flowing' braid. Mr Buttondown now sports a necktie with clouds ... he's Air-udite.

REVISED 2 - Mr Bear may get a bowling shirt with a flame motif.

Attachments

• z - four Male Suit characters.jpg
    z - four Male Suit characters.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 61

gregory

Way to go - what a cunning plan ! That is rather clever !

tarotbear

Hither and thither ...

Still deciding on the Men for the Cups and Swords; so I worked with the Pentacle and Wands Men today. Here is a sample.

I have 32 of the 78 cards done, with one alternative Moon card so far.

Someone jokingly (I think it was a joke!) referred to it as 'The Ambiguously Gay Tarot.' :D

Attachments

• Pents Page.jpg
    Pents Page.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Wands Knight.jpg
    Wands Knight.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Pents King.jpg
    Pents King.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Wands King.jpg
    Wands King.jpg