Dusty White's books

iness

There are active study groups for Dusty's books here at AT for those of us who don't have local study partners... :)

"The Easiest Way to Learn the Tarot - Ever!! by Dusty White - study group index"
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=217470

"Advanced Tarot Secrets' by Dusty White study group index thread"
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=222030

The more action on the threads, the more cool it will be!
Come join in! :!: :lightbulb :thumbsup:

PS
I initially learned about Dusty's books because of this thread:
"If you had to choose only one book on learning the tarot, what would it be?"
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=204318

NOTE:
I figured the 1st one would be just another beginner book with the same old definitions, so I just bought the Advanced Tarot Secrets. Well, now I ended up with both books because, when I started reading, it felt like I was starting in the middle of his program, and I was missing the full benefit.

Then I saw people here at AT doing the exercises, and that was the little push that inspired me. :)

btw: I was taking a look at the threads and it looks so much fuuuuun! :D

Hedera

I've started reading the first book a few days ago, and I really like it!
It's rekindling my love for the RWS (or perhaps making me really see it and fall in love with it for the first time...).

It's funny, the books and the whole presentation have a sort of 'NOW!!! AMAZING SECRETS!!!' tone on the surface that I tend to dislike; but in this case it seems to be kind of tongue in cheeck, and the actual exercises take an approach that I really like (that of *looking* at the image and using what you see in that moment) and that reminds me a lot of Mary K Greer (who is probably in my top 3 of favorite tarot writers).

I listened to a few of the podcasts also, and they're pretty good too; a bit rambly and off-the-cuff perhaps, but that actually works better for me than more formally structured stuff.
It also helped enormously in getting a sense of Mr White's tone of voice, both literally and figuratively speaking. :)

chongjasmine

His book is okay, though it is more of a workbook than a reading book.

NatKat

Advanced Tarot Secrets book by Dusty White

... <<snips>>

It's funny, the books and the whole presentation have a sort of 'NOW!!! AMAZING SECRETS!!!' tone on the surface that I tend to dislike; but in this case it seems to be kind of tongue in cheeck, and the actual exercises take an approach that I really like ...
<<snips>>

I know what you mean about the "sales pitch" of it all ... but I am still enjoying this book!
Know before buying:
It is a WORK BOOK of practical exercises. No history, no philosophy, no symbolism study.

I like this book b/c after 30+ years of reading I evolved my own style ... and the author's style echoes many of my own ideas. But also there are many exercises which are new to me and force me to stretch my understanding of Tarot.

I did not buy the Beginner book ... yes he references his first book in Advanced Tarot Secrets ... but I was able to "catch-on" and "fill-in the blanks" ... perhaps b/c so many of his ideas run parallel to my own ... it was no big deal to have not read the first book. YMMV.

I appreciate this book. I did not find many books for advanced level. I have started doing the exercises which make perfect sense to me and I believe will improve my skills even as a pro / semi-pro reader.