'Workhorse' Decks

Virgo26

Not sure if someone's asked this recently but was wondering what some of you consider to be go-to decks that can be used on the daily. I personally only own 2, RWS and Kat Black's Golden Tarot. Thinking about expanding.

Redfaery

Hmmm....on the daily? RWS of course, though not in my case. Also a good TdM is very useful for frequent readings. Honestly, anything with simpler, stronger imagery. Though what that means will be subjective.

Barleywine

It can change daily, and for personal use I've been cycling through several decks: the Thoth (my workhorse for many years); the Albano Waite RWS; the Rorig; the Tabula Mundi Colores Arcus; the World Spirit and the Gilded Tarot. For public readings I usually bring the RWS Centennial Edition; the Gilded; the Robin Wood; The Connolly and the Morgan Greer, all of which have an agreeable "public face" to them.

Virgo26

Hmmm....on the daily? RWS of course, though not in my case. Also a good TdM is very useful for frequent readings. Honestly, anything with simpler, stronger imagery. Though what that means will be subjective.

It can change daily, and for personal use I've been cycling through several decks: the Thoth (my workhorse for many years); the Albano Waite RWS; the Rorig; the Tabula Mundi Colores Arcus; the World Spirit and the Gilded Tarot. For public readings I usually bring the RWS Centennial Edition; the Gilded; the Robin Wood; The Connolly and the Morgan Greer, all of which have an agreeable "public face" to them.

@Redfaery - thanks! I suppose the classics are always reliable aren't they?

@Barleywine / That's true. If you have a few decks (or many!) you can shuffle through different ones. I mostly read for myself because I guess I haven't been open about my use of tarot as of yet. I've never tried Thoth but I'd be curious to give it a spin one day.

barefootlife

Wild Unknown and Invisible Light are my go to decks for serious reading, with the wild unknown definitely being my first grab for a first time reading. People seem to connect with it and it's easy for me to intuit.

Virgo26

Wild Unknown and Invisible Light are my go to decks for serious reading, with the wild unknown definitely being my first grab for a first time reading. People seem to connect with it and it's easy for me to intuit.

Nice, A lot of people really identify with the Wild Unknown. I guess the connection with a deck is more clear when you use it. I don't mind the illustrations but I've always been skeptical about whether or not I'd be able to read with it.

Amberjune

I second the Thoth plus the Margarete Petersen, I've used these two as my only decks for many years.

The Hanson Roberts is a strong general reader, the Tabula Mundi and the Motherpeace also come to mind.

barefootlife

Nice, A lot of people really identify with the Wild Unknown. I guess the connection with a deck is more clear when you use it. I don't mind the illustrations but I've always been skeptical about whether or not I'd be able to read with it.

For me, the secret to the WU was just letting go of the RWS and using the keywords in the LWB and what's on the card itself to build my interpretations. Since there's so little there, every little detail becomes important, from the background lines to the use of color. The suit cards can be really visually difficult, though, especially in Cups and Pents.

Virgo26

For me, the secret to the WU was just letting go of the RWS and using the keywords in the LWB and what's on the card itself to build my interpretations. Since there's so little there, every little detail becomes important, from the background lines to the use of color. The suit cards can be really visually difficult, though, especially in Cups and Pents.

That's a point. I forget about the LWB in helping with interpretations, as well as just your own experience with it of course.

Nemia

Thoth, Silhouettes, PCS, Tabula Mundi, Trionfi della Luna. My lovely workhorses :)