Best Methods/Books/Formulas for Learning Playing Card Reading

kwaw

Satori said:
I agree with you that just transferring the minors to the PC's is cheating,

Seeing that Etteilla transferred the PC's french suits to the italian suits of the minors I don't see why it can't be done vice versa, for many of the given meaning it is just a return home...

Satori said:
If I wanted to do that I'd pick a deck, pull the majors and use it.

Well, exactly, taking away the trumps and that is what you have, an ordinary (Italian suited) PC deck with an extra court card. If you prefer to use french suited, why not get a french suited tarot deck, then you can use the minors/french suited pips and just add the trumps if you want a full tarot deck reading.

Satori said:
...why go to the trouble of learning a new system if you are just transferring in another system?

Well as has been said an ordinary french suited playcard deck is widely available, and that is what you have to read with then the easiest way to read them if you already have a range of meanings associated with pip cards is to carry on using them, why make it difficult by trying to learn a whole different set? What's wrong with easy?

An easy method is to associate the pips with the trumps. Here is a system associating each of the pips with a trump, but I am sure you can come up with your own (and probably easier too):

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=1904755&postcount=36

harmony1985

This thread has inspired me to buy a deck of playing cards, i have been on the hedgewytchery site and printed off pages on info to learn, hopefully my knowledge of tarot will help too.
The first reading i ever had the lady used playing cards. She had keywords and notes written on them. She was accurate aswell.
I'm looking forward to getting my deck and start making notes and seeing if i can read with them!

runewynd

Cartomancy

Hey, this seems like a good thread, even if it is sort of 2-years-dead. *chuckling*

I just wanted to warn everyone- the Cartomancy site from Hedgewytchery.com is no longer up, as Dawn (the site owner) felt it was best to take the site down entirely. That being said, there are a few ways to get ahold of the pdf. She donated it to the Traditional Witchcraft webgroup, so you can find it there. Also, I have a copy, in case anyone wants it. Just lemme know, and I'll send you a pdf. My email is runewynd@yahoo.com: make sure you let me know through the subject header what the email's regarding.

Cartomancy is a big deal in my Craft tradition- it's central to our practice and structure. I'd love to chat with people about it, if any of you are still around. *smiles*