Zirkus Magi

bonebeach

Bump bump bump.

I'm not sure where else to ask, so I'll do it here. Does anyone have the distressed edition? I want to jump on the zirkus band wagon and wave my pom poms, but the other editions are a bit rich for my blood. For those that have the distressed edition, can you still see the details in the images? I'm concerned that it might be too dark to really make things out, and I can't find a lot of images of the cards to preview.

For anyone that has both, which do you prefer? Does the distressed edition stand on its own?

feynrir

[...] I'm not sure where else to ask, so I'll do it here. Does anyone have the distressed edition? I want to jump on the zirkus band wagon and wave my pom poms, but the other editions are a bit rich for my blood. [...]

Me! Me! I caved and bought it! :D

The Distressed is definitely not TOO "distressed," so don't be alarmed. I absolutely 100% do not regret my purchase of the Distressed edition over the others.

There are some images that in my opinion are quite dark. Among these are the Nine of Buckets, Adjustment, the Aeon and The Whole Show. However, for my tastes, they are not *too* dark. The images and figures are quite bold and in most cards, there is enough contrast for everything to be very clear despite the aging effect. Just as well, the cards are standard size for easy reading.

The cardstock is also to die for; the finest linen stock. If anything I think that the funny "crayon" markings would be the biggest turn-off for the Distressed edition. There are correspondences drawn into the majors that are...intriguing. Certainly not your usual standard, although I'm no expert at other systems. Besides the drawn correspondences, there are also mustaches and little exclamations like, "OW!" To me, the phrases add to the deck rather than detract. It makes it more fun to work with, and I love media that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Even the Distressed is pricey for my income, but it's so worth it. If it's your one shot at purchasing Zirkus, do so with confidence, is my verdict :thumbsup:

G6

Is the distressed the smaller roadshow size?

feynrir

I'm pretty sure that it is Roadshow size, but it is not a small deck. It is a very standard tarot size, US Games RWS style (maybe a bit wider?).

bonebeach

feynrir, thanks so much for answering! Consider me enabled. ;)

I was wondering about the crayon type markings, too, but I think I'll find those charming. Pretty sure. My biggest concern really was the images being legible, and I find your answer reassuring. Plus, it IS the slightly more affordable option... I do like the conceit, though, in and of itself--a "used" deck that shuffles like new.

Going for it!

Essjay

I must admit that I sold my original Zirkus as I wasn't initially drawn to it. However, a first for me, I then bought the book, read and it now feel I have the insight I missed before. It's a lesson to me in taking time to get to know a deck, especially those which are perhaps harder to get into but are ultimately more rewarding because of it.

I think I may go for the distressed now - I like the crayon markings too. And I'm hanging on to this one!

Le Fanu

Where did you get the book from? Is it at the Book Depository or amazon or did you buy direct from his site?

Le Fanu

Ordered! Thank you! I always felt I needed a bit more info for a few of the cards.