self published with Game Crafter after being published.

Hexi

I am the artist for the Pearls of Wisdom Tarot. It was first published in 2007, then again in 2008. Both are out of print and are on Amazon for prices as high as $500.00+

I decided to self publish a third edition after rephotographing the original paintings using a Zeiss lens. This way we could offer high definition images, at a much higher dpi than the first editions.

Using Game Crafter allowed me to be in control, set pricing and also offer a variety of packaging that has already proven to be successful. It seems that the poker size is quite popular, and I have to admit I really like that size for shuffling. The details on the smaller cards are amazing, you do not lose any detail because it is smaller. On the other hand, the jumbo size cards are great for meditation and contemplation. You can really see all the details and hidden images throughout the deck. That being said, the Platinum edition with both decks, layout board and all the books has also proven popular.

Since each order is printed on demand, I don't have the upfront costs and storage costs of inventory. Also offering the product with and without a collector's box has proven successful as well. No need to pay for extra shipping, when a small draw string bag will work for the cards.

With the internet and forums such as this one and facebook, it has been relatively easy to reach around the world. Already decks are destined for Indonesia, Australia, The Netherlands, Denmark, the UK, the US and Canada... I love that we can reach such a wide audience through our computers.

I can't wait to get some feedback from those who have purchased the the decks, to see how they like the borderless design and feel of the cards. I have been very happy with the proofs I received and I feel that Pearls of Wisdom Tarot lovers will love them. The are so far and above the first editions.

So far, so good.... and way more to come... cheers Hexi.

reall

it's always pleasure to read about someones good experience and learn something new!^^:))
beautiful deck and web design!^^ btw you should link us on gamecrafter!^^ ;))

HudsonGray

Did you waffle over choosing the pricing on the decks? I never quite know what my final amount should be on some of my work.

Hexi

pricing. I decided to offer an introductory pricing for 3 months for die hard fans and to help with shipping. I also decided to offer a variety of sizes and packages so that people could choose which suited them best and their budget too.

I am going to offer all the little booklets in one book for sale separately and I have more to come with a workbook/journal for the majors and a secret project I am working on.

In three months, the prices will rise, as sales will likely slow, so it will be better to make more. Still, with self publishing, I am making more per deck than I did with a publisher. However, I do not have distribution, so I must count on my own promotions and word of mouth. So please share out and let people know.

Just as an aside on pricing, the second edition decks (oop) are selling. second hand, for upwards of $500.00 (of which I see none of) so my pricing is reasonable and considering it took me 7 years to paint, worth the prices of the decks. I really looked at what I thought was fair and reasonable. Cheers Hexi.

reall

so gamecrafter is best for selfpublishing?^^ like your offer!^^ it's beautiful collector pack and price is reasonable!^^ :))) not sure for shipping rates from GC?^^
btw what is usual % with publisher? I plan to offer my desing to U.S games LS etc

Hexi

usually publishers give you 5-15% depending on the publisher. In other words when I sold a deck from the publisher I received $2.00 now I get a bit more and you can set the prices. Publishers give you distribution, so you make it up on volume.

Bonny

Congratulations! This shows a great thing about self-publishing ! Very interesting! Thanks for the links and information - a great - huge achievement!

Hexi

thanks Bonny this has been a 15 year journey, I have more to come, a workbook/journal, which is in layout right now and another secret project, also in layout, that will be coming soon. What I like about gamecrafter is that you can offer a wide variety, and from what sales are showing me, this is a good thing.