Rider deck with vivid coloring

daphne

Maybe it was discussed before, but I could not find it.

I saw in "What's the postman bringing" thread
http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=3279765&postcount=958
a remark about "red magician face" Rider deck.
I did not know about a "red face magician box" until now. Is it an edition with beautiful colors? And I was wondering now about the beautiful coloring in this deck, how is it compared with the Universal Press coloring, for instance?

I don`t like to grey-sh moody colors of the US Games decks and I wand an older print, with brighter colors, not Universal, Radiant or variants, just the classic drawing Rider Waite, but with better, more vivid, coloring.

gregory

It's an old edition that you will have trouble finding (and even if you think you MIGHT have found it, it is very hard to tell exactly which is which from listings.)

daphne

Yeah, it`s not going to be easy to find one, then...

Richard

From what I've seen, the colors in the older decks (c. 1970s) appear more washed out than in the current, rather garish, Italian printings. The Smith-Waite Centennial is, of course, rather dull, but many people find it pleasant. A "red" Magician's face may not be exactly what you want. I have current Belgian and Chinese printings of the pocket and mini decks, and they are quite pleasantly colorful, without the printing irregularities of the regular USG deck. You might really enjoy an Albano-Waite version (which is now generally considered a classic). Look for a 1980s Belgian edition. The current Italian edition is crap.

daphne

Thanks a lot, Richard.

Pocket edition you are talking about is nice, it is also US Games, right?

Tiddles

Well I have the China print in giant and pocket size, and I find both to be on the dull side. I know everyone here loves to hate on the Italian printing, but I have those in the regular size and the coloring is amazing imo. all the colors are very saturated and vibrant, similar to Pop art. I know the font is not the original, but I can get past that as I really love intense saturation of all the colors. The reds, yellows and blues all stand out. I find the China printing blues to be especially dull.

daphne

Well I have the China print in giant and pocket size, and I find both to be on the dull side. I know everyone here loves to hate on the Italian printing, but I have those in the regular size and the coloring is amazing imo. all the colors are very saturated and vibrant, similar to Pop art. I know the font is not the original, but I can get past that as I really love intense saturation of all the colors. The reds, yellows and blues all stand out. I find the China printing blues to be especially dull.

Is there a way you can tell, beside the writing, of course, which is printed in Italy / China, maybe different boxes? Or maybe not?

Tiddles

Is there a way you can tell, beside the writing, of course, which is printed in Italy / China, maybe different boxes? Or maybe not?
I just checked my boxes and the printed in Italy one came in a larger box with a smaller, card sized box inside. Both of the boxes have the Magician on them and both have the correct, original font unlike the one that actually comes in the box, so I do not know how you'd be able to tell. The outside box doesn't say printed in Italy either, just the small inside box does. I got mine at Barnes and noble. I guess it still depends on what they are currently printing the standard size on. I got my standards a little over a year ago, but got all the other sizes later on.
I will say that the drawback to the Italian version is that the cards are stiffer, less flexible and are slightly harder to shuffle. The laminate is shinier, and heavier but they seem more durable than the China printing. All factors to be considered, including, of course, how much the changed font bothers you. The standard rw from Italy is my go-to deck as it was my first and is my most accurate and the one that wants to bond with me, so I love it for those reasons as well. Has nothing to do with it being from Italy, but this deck (maybe because it was my first) always seems to be saying ” Why do you even bother with those other decks, I am the only deck you need”. Mind you, I am not a.RWS or Tarot snob in any way, shape , or form. I am not a collector either and I only care about loving my deck, as imperfect and pedestrian as the majority on here may think it is, the Italian printing is the one I love.

Richard

......I know everyone here loves to hate on the Italian printing, but I have those in the regular size and the coloring is amazing imo. all the colors are very saturated and vibrant, similar to Pop art. I know the font is not the original, but I can get past that as I really love intense saturation of all the colors. The reds, yellows and blues all stand out. I find the China printing blues to be especially dull.
I happen to like Italian things, but I think that USG contracted with a printer which did a less than stellar job on the Rider-Waite (and the Albano-Waite). The colors are brighter than on the Chinese printing, but it's things like the blotchy, sunburned skin of the Temperance angel that bother me.

Attachments

• temperance.jpg
    temperance.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 143

Tiddles

I happen to like Italian things, but I think that USG contracted with a printer which did a less than stellar job on the Rider-Waite (and the Albano-Waite). The colors are brighter than on the Chinese printing, but it's things like the blotchy, sunburned skin of the Temperance angel that bother me.
yes, certain cards have blotchy, mottled skin in the Italian printing, yet others do not and its odd. there are some other odd things going on with skin tone too- the empress has a jaundiced look about her. being that it was my first deck I never scrutinized it harshly, I just liked it. I do wish the cards were as flexible as the China printing though.