Crow's Magick Tarot

Mi-Shell

Hi NightWing,

I do have the deck and I love it. It was on my wishlist for a long time, looked at the scans, longing for it and when it arrived I was even happier as it became one of my favourites for personal and meditative spreads.

So yes, I use it. Not very often, perhaps once a week. What I like very much about this deck, that it is perfect to use next to other decks with more obvious cardmeanings. The CM is not a pipdeck but the images leave much more open to be interpreted and the animals and geometric pictures open up some kind of another dimension.

I found that querents do not often pick this deck. Most of them tell me they find it beautiful but they also tell they prefer decks where they can see "things going on" like RWCS based decks, or where they are attracted by the atmosphere like Thoth or Old English etc.

The CM is imo very interesting to use next to spreads which leave some
matters to be answered. It has a unique view on things and can stress matters which may be overlooked or not present so easy in other decks. I also like to use it for more meditative readings. Sometimes I just take 5 cards from it and make a story with the animals in it and then I try to connect that story to my own life. The animals then represent people in my life, including myself, and then I try to see how this story is happening in my life. This can be done with any deck of course, but the CM is so unusual that it gives interesting unusual not so obvious answers as well. I can recommend this way of working with this deck highly!

I had no real difficulties with this deck, but I think it helped that I know in general the meanings of the cards already before I got the CM. That helped me to recognize the meanings and have energy left to look for more. If it would have been my first deck I am sure I had to rely highly on the keywords written on the deck. And imo they suck. Would advise to ignore them while they are distracting from the deeper and much more interesting meanings. I would recommend this deck to anyone who is into something different, beautiful, and more intuitive. Also when you love birds or animals in general this is a must have!

Blessings

edited to add: NightWing, I don't have the book with it, perhaps you can tell us what it is like.

Oh! My very HEART opened up and tears filled my eyes, when I saw Dwaas' old post here! :love:
It is, as if our beloved Sister is still dancing through these AT halls....
With the Crows of the Crow Magic deck -
with us....

I too have the deck.
when I use it, I feel, as if this is a deck of the distant future, A time, when there are no more Animals here on Earth - when we may still have a few in Zoos... and abstract models made from polymer and metal and??? are decorating our homes, our lives and our dreams.... This I feel, is a deck, about how shamanism will be - then.....
I am glad, I live now.....
But - May there be Crows - then! :)
.... and may there be Magic.....
...and people who follow the ancient ways of the Dwaas (Dutch for Fool) - and Tarot....

gregory

I can't say it better than MiShell - I do use it, quite a bit. It is very hardnosed when I do - it knows its stuff.

But dwaas was right - the keywords do suck :p

Metafizzypop

I have this deck also, and like it a lot. It's very unusual. It's not quite like anything else I've ever seen. It's such a strange combination of the natural and the synthetic (which is kinda what Mi-Shell was alluding to, sounds like). Also, I agree that it is shamanistic, though I've never been able to put my finger on what it is that makes it so.

This deck has a really strange, otherworldly vibe about it. It takes me places.

Chiriku

I feel, as if this is a deck of the distant future, A time, when there are no more Animals here on Earth - when we may still have a few in Zoos... and abstract models made from polymer and metal and??? are decorating our homes, our lives and our dreams.... This I feel, is a deck, about how shamanism will be - then.....
I am glad, I live now....

What a trenchant analysis/prophecy. I think it does an excellent job of describing this deck's milieu.

missy

I love this deck. The Crow's Magick Tarot is one that I will never trade away. It has made a deep impression, even though I have not had it long. This one IS different.

I read the Crow's Magick intuitively, and for anyone who includes intuitive reading in their choice of reading styles, I would say to give it a try. For me, it has been very insightful.

It is quickly moving into my top four decks. It has been awhile since any new deck has made it that far up. :surprise:

When I was considering purchasing it, before I had the deck in my hands, I thought the cards looked like a jumble of unrecognizable abstract images, and that I would not be able to read with it. I was mistaken!

I have reached for the Crow's Magick Tarot time and again to paint a very clear picture when other decks are not as clear. I fall into the images on the black background. It is like the answers rising from the cards, almost floating in the air.

I am happy this deck is still around, given it was made by artist Londa Marks, the quality of the cards, and that there is no tarot deck like this.

There are PLENTY of birds in the deck, be they owls, eagles, crows, etc. As far as the animals in the deck, I recognize all the animals so far, at least I think I do. Some are from Africa, for example, like the lion. But I do not need to know exactly which bird, etc, though the shape gives a good indication.

I :love: it.

Darkmage

I picked this deck up a while back because it looked like an interesting addition to my collection and it was cheap. I haven't really looked at it since. Now I think I'm going to have to dig it out and really look at it.

Chiriku

missy, I remembered that you were one of the people here who had mentioned this deck of late. I'm glad you've found it so valuable.

You say you read it "intuitively"--within your use of that word, do you mean you try to disregard the keywords/extra titles and focus only on the image?

I have reached for the Crow's Magick Tarot time and again to paint a very clear picture when other decks are not as clear.

Interesting use. I like to hear about people's different specific uses for certain decks.

You know, you might consider that maybe you find the deck so clear because of those keywords. It could be a subconscious thing. I used to hate "extra words" on a deck (I even created a thread once about wordy decks; I can't remember what I referred to them as---perhaps "wordy decks!"), but I've realized that I value certain things about them. One of those things is that they seem to speak with a more direct and singular voice---almost oracle-like in nature--than less-wordy decks speak to me. Both types have their place.

gregory

missy, I remembered that you were one of the people here who had mentioned this deck of late. I'm glad you've found it so valuable.

You say you read it "intuitively"--within your use of that word, do you mean you try to disregard the keywords/extra titles and focus only on the image?
Don't know about her but that is my primary reading method. I ALWAYS ignore keywords and meanings printed on cards - but also generic meanings. This one is no exception. It is big on spotting traps people fall into, too.

missy

missy, <snip>

You know, you might consider that maybe you find the deck so clear because of those keywords.

I don't use the keywords. I read the images. :)

It wouldn't matter to me if this deck were trimmed of its keywords and titles and I only had the images. Though after I read, for clarification, for certain readings it is interesting to see from a RWS standpoint which cards I have pulled, so for that reason I would keep the RWS titles.

I read either RWS or intuitively, or a combination of both, but I read this one intuitively.

Obsydian

It's currently my first and only deck.
I have good days reading it and then there's bad days where nothing makes sense. I'm looking into getting another deck, but for now I've been learning with this one.