The 8 of Swords revisited...

Belladonna

I'd like to revisit my understanding of the 8 of Swords and would love input and insight from all of you out there!

Do any of you compare the 8 of Swords to the 2 of Swords? How do they differ?

Who sees this card as having to deal with or choose between two particular situations?

How much is conflict represented by this card? How much is purely mental anguish?

Does anybody see this card as chaos, and the need to focus?

RedEarth

I am open to also hearing others thoughts, as I am only learning myself :) But these are my ideas so far:
I do see the 8 of Swords as representing mental anguish, as well as the need for focus by force of will.
I also see blockages due to anger that is ill-directed or remains undealt with, that could require intentional redirection of that energy.

hth
RedEarth

Moongold

Belladonna, are you referring only to the RWS deck?

The more I learn the more I see how different the RWS sometimes is from the older Tarots and even some of the newer Tarots such as Sephiroth.

To start with the fundamentals Swords are about air associated with thinking, intellectual stuff and so on.

Number 2 represents the pair, changeability, adaptability, and indecisiveness. It also represents the female principle of receptivity.

Number 8 is about power, control and responsibility, ardor, will, steadfastness. 8 has the will to try to overcome all obstacles.

This is interesting when looking at the RWS images. I used to see 2 Swords as being caught in a bind, unable to make a decision but I don’t see that as the whole story now. It could mean that, depending on context, but it could also mean someone trying to achieve a balance in ideas, approaches, weighing up the options. The blindfold could mean simply looking within for these answers, emphasizing the element of Swords – air (thinking).

The RWS 8 Swords is also really interesting. I used to se it as someone imprisoned by her thoughts or something else, but it is not necessarily so. It depends on the rest of the story. If you look at the numerological attributes of power and control, the figure in 8 Swords could be exercising the kind of mental power and control people use when they walk over hot coals or have dental work without anaesthetic.

The Sephiroth Tarot is a non-RWS deck and has different meanings altogether. Swords are located in Tiphareth on the Tree of Life, the sphere of beauty. We get a much more positive take on Swords: thought, ideas, intention – all are beautiful in their purest form.

2 Swords in Sephiroth means integration and balance, The image is simply one of 2 gold and silver crossed swords and shows how opposites can be brought together. Swords being thought: left brain, right brain. 2’s are located in Chokmah, the sphere of Wisdom and the astrological attribution is Moon in Libra.

8 Swords in Sephiroth is about well organized communication. 2 scimitars, 2 swords and 4 daggers form a central cross. 8’s emanate from the sphere of Hod or Glory and the astrological attribute is Jupiter in Gemini.

Hope I haven’t confused you! That was not my intention :)

Indigo_lady

See.. that's a card that I'm not very fond off

Sometimes I see the 8 of swords as a warning
As some people mentioned there is mental anguish in the 8 of swords, but in my case I see it as possible manifestation of that mental anguish in a physical form, a sickness or a disease...

On the way of getting worn out

Sobeknofret

I see the eight of swords as a card of lack of focus and wandering. The woman is surrounded on three sides by swords, with no idea which step is going to take her directly into those swords. Since swords are the cards of the intellect, I see it as lack of mental focus and confusion. But it is important to note, I think, that the way forward is NOT blocked, although she cannnot see it. The swords are hemming her in only on three sides, so if she is perceptive enough to think her way past the confusion and anxiety, she can find her way through the swords.

But at the same time, I also see a progression away from the confusion that entraps her. In the RWS there is a castle on the hill, and I have always assumed that that is where she's coming from, bound and blindfolded as she is. So progress has been made, just not far enough yet, and although the peril is not yet over, it's drawing to a close. Certainly I don't see it as being as grim as, say, three of swords, or as depressing as the nine of swords.

--Sobe

HudsonGray

Yes, the blocking is a major factor.
With the 2 she's just sitting there blindfolded, having two choices, knowing both can cut.

In the 8 she's supposedly stymied, personally involved in whatever it is she's in & hasn't got independent choices being held in front of her, she's got a major extrication to do and if she takes the step forward it can be done, even though she can't see it right now.

Choices v.s. a personal extrication from a problem --- but both are in her control.

sagitarian

2 of swords ~ I believe that the two of swords is very focused, and very well balanced. It focuses on empowering the internal strengths of the mind, and less relying on the physical body. This can also be related to school studies, especially in professions like english, teaching, art, or any other type of major that involves more your mind focusing then something like mechanics, computers, or other type of "hands on" career. Fearless, bravery, and courage is often found in these people, as well as caregivers, and intellectuals.

8 of swords ~ To me eight of swords is mental (mostly, can be physical) anguish. The feeling of "my hands are tied, and there's no way out of this situation". When this card comes up, it feels there is no way out, when really, it is only your mentality thinking this way. There is (at least one way) a way out of it. You are trapping yourself, or being narrow minded about something, perhaps it's stubborness, basically an attitude problem. This card can easily lead you facing your demons at night (9 of swords). Sometimes this is necessary, to go back to the source and overcoming it, (10 of swords) making way for you to move on. In any case, those are my thoughts, I hope they helped.

Thirteen

Who blindfolded the woman?

The crossed swords in 2/Swords is a way of establishing a "compromise"--temporary, but the idea is that the swords, crossed, are still. They can't cut or pierce or fight. As in the cold war, American bombs kept the Russians from dropping their bombs--and Russian bombs kept America from dropping theirs. This, I think, is the way 2/swords work. The two sides remain enemies, but they are deterred from fighting.

Kinda like little kids who say, "I won't if HE won't!"--and the other kid says, "Well, I don't if HE won't!" Reluctant agreement and peace. Which brings us to the blindfolded woman, the mediator who, in RW, holds the swords. I see her as blindfolding herself, as a good mediator must. Refusing, categorically, to take sides or be influenced. Blind justice--absolute fairness. Because anything less, and the two sides will start fighting again.

Symbolically, she is in control of the two opposing minds/arguments. All communications, debate, bartering go through her. Thus, she has temporary control over her problems--or, if you will, has found a temporary solution.

In 8 Swords, however, the woman is bound as well as bindfolded. This suggests that she didn't blindfold herself. She is a captive, and far from controlling the swords, they imprison her. In this case, the troubles have control over her.

There is no good solution to her prediciment. Staying in the chair she is bound and blind. Only by rocking forward onto her feet, and moving her chair toward those swords might she cut herself free--but, oh, dear, she might well cut herself in the process. Remain a prisoner, bound and blind--but safe and whole--and just wait, hoping someone will set her free....or try to escape and risk getting hurt?

8/Swords is a delemma card--a card that reminds us that sometimes, there are no easy answers, no control over outside forces. Not even a "lesser evil" to choose. Just wants, needs, inner strength (or lack thereof), and choices.

Inana

I see the 8 swords in RW picturing a situation where one can't do any move to overcome that. Not sure if its our own mind or others actions who had lead us to this situation, could be both.
It talks about not finding a good solution to the matter at hand. Moments when you feel tied, paralized by fears, confussion or the situation itself.
Its standing too for situations where one feels trapped and the solution is not depending only on itself. After all, isnt eight a number for communications?