Tarot in Movies

TripleN

Another movie with the Tarot is a 1970 biker movie called "Werewolves on Wheels", about a rough biker gang who have a run in with some kind of satan cult, and, you guessed it, get turned into werewolves. One of the main bikers was named "Tarot", and he had a deck of cards that were used several times in the movie. An interesting "biker, Hells Angels" kind of tarot, with Death riding on a harley-style chopper, and the Chariot a large cycle with a sidecar. Not too bad of a movie, either, but its worth seeing just to see a werewolve ride a motorcycle. The only famous name I seen in this movie was Barry Mcguire, who sang the late 60's anti-vietnam song, "Eve of Destruction". I thought it was interesting to see just a regular biker, one of the boys in the gang, dirty clothes, long hair, loud motorcycle, reading cards, instead of the same stereotypes we are used to seeing in movies.

Flavio

Maybe this answer is not 100% into the topic but I think it can find a place among other movie references.

In the movie The Village, "those of we don't speak about" look like many creatures found in the dark Bosch Tarot, this reference enhanced my movie viewing experience adding an eerie feeling, if you have not seen the movie I recommend it.

Elektra

Saw "Things You Can Tell Just By Looking At Her" last night - Calista Flockhart does a Celtic Cross spread for Glenn Close. Oversized deck, though I'm not sure which deck it was - looked like one of the RWS variations.

(This movie is also on the Tarot Totes website :).

Lolith

I don't know if this would count as being tied into it, but in Wes Craven's "People Under the Stairs" tarot plays a part in the very beginning. The main character, named Fool, is having his 13th birthday. His sister does a card reading for him, and that's the whole first scene of the movie. Throughout the movie, the reading is mentioned, as well as his nickname. I think it tries to tie it into the movie, but only has a little to do with the acutal storyline. This movie is a really cheesy horror movie, but I like it regardless and thought I'd mention it. :)

Raven Reed

If I remember correctly, Tarot makes a brief appearance in the movie Tombstone.

Athara

Just saw the beginning of the James Bond-film 'Live and let die'. A huge spread comes up. Didn't recognize the deck though.

The 78th Fool

Athara said:
Just saw the beginning of the James Bond-film 'Live and let die'. A huge spread comes up. Didn't recognize the deck though.

It's Fergus Hall's Tarot of the Witches (US Games), although the commercial deck has unillustrated pip cards ( The film deck shows illustrated versions of the Six of Swords and the Seven of Wands ). Jane Seymour uses this for the bulk of the film although she also uses a Universal Books Rider Waite too. From time to time you see Tarot shop window displays and shop posters (The Voodoo Shop and the Hotel Gift Shop) - They are both Universal Books Rider Waite and Albano Waite.

Sad, I know but I discovered the Tarot through this film as a teenager!

Chris. xx

The 78th Fool

Kate Winslet's character reads Tarot in 'Hideous Kinky'. She seems to have a hand - drawn majors deck based on the Rider Waite.

Chris. xx

mercenary30

There is an interesting role for Tarot in the movie Exorcist the Beginning!!!