How to make your tarot readings longer.

nisaba

Hi all,

I am having trouble making my reading longer. I feeling that short change my readings with all the short readings. I am not really good with words and have hard time writing.

Do have any ideas on how to make my readings longer?

Perhaps pore over your cards more. Notice details, colours, how the cards fit together, whetyher they seem to be relating to each other or not. What is happening outside the borders of the cards? What has happened just before the scenes you see, and what is about to happen?

And read. Read as much as you can. You won't directly use it in your readings, but it will deepen and broaden how you see each card.

As a public reader, when I read face-to-face, I have a great deal of trouble cutting down readings to stay within the time-frame. That's just because I've spent a lot of years stocking my head up with stuff, which has a habit of emerging when it's needed. :)

Grizabella

This is a very good advice and I can see how I could have talked more. I did 3 cards spread and I had swords-swords-cups so I could have elaborated on that...
And why do I wish it lasted longer? Well, it's just that my other friend, when we came back from the reading, said that we had been gone for so little time I couldn't have read in such time...

Well, there are some times when a reading is just short and sweet. It's good, though, to take more time, examining the spread, making sure the sitter understands that they're free to comment as well, and often that will really get things going in the right direction and it will unlock more information and take more time.

Perhaps pore over your cards more. Notice details, colours, how the cards fit together, whetyher they seem to be relating to each other or not. What is happening outside the borders of the cards? What has happened just before the scenes you see, and what is about to happen?

And read. Read as much as you can. You won't directly use it in your readings, but it will deepen and broaden how you see each card.

As a public reader, when I read face-to-face, I have a great deal of trouble cutting down readings to stay within the time-frame. That's just because I've spent a lot of years stocking my head up with stuff, which has a habit of emerging when it's needed. :)

Yes! I agree with nisaba about read, read, read! There used to be a time when the craze was "throw away the books!" but I never did. And I still read tons of books. I don't read them while doing spreads, of course, but I've got them all over the place and read a lot, every single day. If what I'm reading isn't sinking in, which sometimes some things don't, then I just put that book away and read on another aspect that does make sense to me. Also, I've collected a lot of books that go with decks and I read those, too.

Reading the cards is a profession where I believe it's important to keep up ongoing education. Definitely that's true in my own life. I don't know much about numerology, elemental dignities, astrology, kabalah or things like that, but awhile back I bought a book called Tarot Beyond the Basics and every once in awhile I take a little peek into it to see if I'm ready for all that stuff. So far, no go. I'll get there, though. :)

I'm also learning to use Kipper cards and I'm fairly proficient with Lenormand now, so I think I'll progress faster with Kipper because they're similar.