Sacred Circle -- Three of Swords

Phoenyx*

I thought I'd start it early in case anyone wants to jump in early. :) I'll post when I get home.

mj07

two things i noticed right away about this card is that the swords are plain, no red stone, and there's no plantlife whatsoever represented. The swords are shown crossed, two against one: a feeling of being outnumbered? The sky is stormy and below it the landscape is barren and rocky. The title is "Discord" but to me it almost looks hopeless, except for the one patch of sunlight trying to shine through the clouds where the swords cross.

Phoenyx*

After reading the book, I love the story behind this card, it explains the card so easily.

From The Sacred Circle Tarot book
The card shows three swords, all slashing the air threateningly, the background is a dark and stormy sky over Snowdonia in Wales.
Snowdonia is a snow region closely associated with King Arthur. The reign of King Arthur began with he drew the magical sword Excalibur from the stone and established the legendary realm of Logres, a golden age of peace and fellowship of the round table, where all knights were equal.
As is often the case, all this was destroyed by the jealousy and malevolence of one man, Arthur's bastard son Mordred, who formented distrust and dissatisfaction in the court to break up the fellowship. Many knights and soldiers threw in their lots with Mordred as an easier option to the high principles of Arthur's rule.
As the forces drew together for the last battle, Arthur had recalled that Merlin had foretold that the holy realm of Logres should pass away and the land return to darkness. As he mused, the spirit of Gawain appeared to him and prophesied that if he fought on the morrow, the kingdom and his life should be lost. Hoping to avert this Arthur sent his faithful friend Bedivere to make a truce with Mordred.
The two armies gathered to treat, but Arthur warned his troops -- "If you see a sword drawn, charge and slay the traitor Mordred, for I do not trust him." -- and Mordred spoke likewise to his own men.
Arthur and Mordred met and reached an agreement, and a peace treaty was duly signed. However, it chanced that an adder came out of the heather and bit one of Mordred's knights on the heel. Without thinking, the knight drew his sword and slew the snake. When the two armies saw the flash of a blade, they cried out and fell on one another. It came about that many were killed, and Arthur and Mordred dealt each other death blows. Arthur is said to have died on Snowdon and to have been buried at Bwlch y Saethau, Pass of the Arrows. Llyn Llydaw, east of Snowdon, is one of the candidates for the lake where Bedivere is said to have thrown Arthur's sword after the king's death.

As I look at the card, I see the two swords crossing the one sword, almost as if they are ganging up on it. Perhaps the three swords once worked in harmony together, but no longer. One of the two swords is behind the solitary sword, the other is in front of it, seemingly as if they are attacking the solitary on different sides.
A rocky mountain is beneath the swords, and the sky is clouded over with storm clouds.

Divinatory meanings I get is that things are about as bad as they will get. Groups that once worked together will be destroyed from the inside by dissatisfaction. But, just as the Tower is, things have to be destroyed so that they can grow. Revolution is not always peaceful, but it brings about needed changes.

contrascarpe

The clouds in this card are beautiful, even though they are foreboding. These are the types of clouds you usually see when a large sunray finds its way through the break.

The three swords are crossed, which fit the title "discord". No set allegiances are made. Do not trust your allies - somebody is hiding something. Ulterior motives seem to be the order of the day. I would probably take this card to mean that you should take what others say to you with a grain of salt.

starsongs

3 of Swords

the swords seem to be making an upside down XV pattern in the sky...

Thus seeming to connect to the Tower Card (in this deck) which is about defeating fears and restrictions. Perhaps this card is about our own limiting thought patterns that create limitation, sorrow and discord in life.

The 3 and the way the swords are positioned, suggest movement and change as well

The clouds are beautiful, though dark, but one can see the brightness of the sun behind them suggesting that whatever the sadness/discord, it is only temporary and may not at all be as bad as it now seems...

starsongs

CreativeFire

3 of Swords - Discord

Looking at this card it seems that the two swords pointing to the right are in sync (parallel) with each other and the one sword on the right hand side is "crossing" them or at opposites with them.

However the light captured in the clouds makes me think of "ever cloud has a silver lining", which makes me feel that even though there is discord or confrontation that there may be some good come out of it. The confrontation may be needed to clear the air and the sun will then break through the clouds.

CreativeFire

Nitegoddess

3 of Swords

The first thing that I notice is the stormy skies, looking back on to the Ace of swords and the 2 of Swords the sky is beginning to darken.. it is no longer blue with some clouds. However, I cant help to notice that the sun still is able to brightly illuminate the clouds mainly through the center. I also notice how cold and desolate the ground seems to look.. very little habitation... Now the swords.. they are in the center of the card.. each crossing eachother.. two are looking to the right while one opposes and is looking to the left.. giving me the feeling "cutting"..

Taken from Sacred Circle..
.. things have reached rock bottom. Your life is taken up with quarrels and upheavals....

Nitegoddess

Re: 3 of Swords - Discord

CreativeFire said:

However the light captured in the clouds makes me think of "ever cloud has a silver lining", which makes me feel that even though there is discord or confrontation that there may be some good come out of it. The confrontation may be needed to clear the air and the sun will then break through the clouds.

CreativeFire

That was a CF... I never thought of the silver lining analogy.. Wow, I love that we are doing this study.. I am gaining so much by all of you here!!! :) :) :D

Phoenyx*

Yes, it seems that even though things may be getting destroyed and treacheries seem to happen, the silver lining is that at least evolution is occuring, and it is all happening for the best.

lunakasha

The dark clouds are moving in quickly, forming a a barricade between earth and sun. As I look into the distance, the mountains have became blurry....I sense that there may be obstacles ahead that will make it difficult to find my way through to the other side. Three swords stand before me, pointing toward the heavens. One sword crosses the other two, which makes me think of opposite points of view, conflict, disharmony and painful emotion. The tips of the swords are darkened by smoke....they have been sharpened and altered by the flaming passions of Fire...

:) Luna