Best Tarot Books

Lela

Just wanted to chime in here and say that the one book that I have found the most helpful is Teresa Michelsen's Complete Tarot Reader. By far, out of all the books I purchased during my Tarot frenzy book buying binge, it's the book I got the most out of in terms of learning how to read Tarot. Definitely a keeper for the bookshelf.

Scion

daphne said:
What about Paul Huson's Mystical Origins of the Tarot? I am thinking to buy it. Any feedback?
Yes. Buy It. Fantastic. Not a perfect book (and saddled with a terrible title) and he makes some strange leaps, but tons of real material to chew on. Well worth the investment of time. As is the deck that the book inspired (Dame Fortuna's)... A terrific book that repays revisting.

Le Fanu

I second Scion. This was recommended to me a while back in a similar thread to this one and it is the book which I feel has the most to chew on and think about. A very well-rounded book. Historical without being pedantic, dull or remote, and divinatory without being full of New Agey guff. This is a book where I can feel the author's presence between the lines "setting the record straight."

daphne

Scion said:
Yes. Buy It. Fantastic. Not a perfect book (and saddled with a terrible title) and he makes some strange leaps, but tons of real material to chew on. Well worth the investment of time. As is the deck that the book inspired (Dame Fortuna's)... A terrific book that repays revisting.

Thanks Scion, I was waiting for your feedback. It will be my first `serious` tarot book, something over the same all same introductions.

daphne

Le Fanu said:
I second Scion. This was recommended to me a while back in a similar thread to this one and it is the deck which I feel has the most to chew on and think about. A very well-rounded book. Historical without being pedantic, dull or remote, and divinatory without being full of New Agey guff. This is a book where I can feel the author's presence between the lines "setting the record straight."

Le Fanu, I got this title from the thread you got it recommended and I saw you bought it and enjoy it. I just needed to hear Scion`s opinion on this one. I am officially taking him as the advisor when it comes to tarot books.:)

Scion

LOL Many thanks for the vote of confidence, D. I hope I don't steer you wrong. :D If I can help I will...

You'll dig the Huson, but take his first section with a grain of salt, it's more persuasive rhetoric with a helping of scholarship than a conclusive "answer" to the big Tarot questions... Fantastic to think about, but not gospel by any stretch (or even convincingly argued in places). It's also a good lead-in to other topics so it'll give you a good nudge in your next direction.

gregory

Huson. Yes. I think I recommended it for Le Fanu, having had it recommended to me by someone here.... ACE.

daphne

Scion said:
LOL Many thanks for the vote of confidence, D. I hope I don't steer you wrong. :D If I can help I will...

You'll dig the Huson, but take his first section with a grain of salt, it's more persuasive rhetoric with a helping of scholarship than a conclusive "answer" to the big Tarot questions... Fantastic to think about, but not gospel by any stretch (or even convincingly argued in places). It's also a good lead-in to other topics so it'll give you a good nudge in your next direction.

I had a look on the deck which goes with Huson book, looks interesting though a little stiff compared with RW I am using. I think I will also buy it, just to understand better the book.

Greg Stanton

Just to clarify, there no deck that "goes with" The Mystical Origins of the Tarot. Dame Fortune's Wheel was created a few years after the book was published. They weren't conceived together, but I do think that if you like the deck (I do), Huson's insights into the cards as explained in his book will be invaluable.