8 Deniers (Coins) - how may it be read?

jmd

If the Moon can be seen to be a reflection of a reflection (the waters reflecting the light of the Moon that itself reflects the light of the Sun), then this card too may be similarly seen, but in a more abstract manner.

I have shaded the attached Grimaud-type card to make it appear as though is was 'simply' a two coins that was folded, and again folded. The pairs of coins each appear, then, as a reflection (or creation) of each fold: 2 X 2 X 2 (the first cube).

In some ways, this card can show both how Justice (not merely Law, that after all only reflects, in its ideal, Justice - and so needs to be a reflection of the whole eight) reflects on that which is reflected, but also that there is increase and abundance when a simple process of doubling is permitted... a small reminder of the reward requested of a single grain of rice that gets doubled each year for the duration of the number of squares on a chess-board: small steps have massive (karmic) consequences.

The card, then, may at times indicate abundance, and abundance of abundance... and growth - whether or not healthy or desired (an unhealthy type may be cancerous).

Attachments

• Grimaud type 8 D.jpg
    Grimaud type 8 D.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 215

Moonbow

Looking at this card I see two squares reminding me that card relates to solid structure, neatness and order. I also see logic and truth, much like the Justice card. At times I see the figure 8 or the infinity sign in the paterning of the coins (and sometimes to foliage - depending on the deck), reminding me that this card can represent repetition.

I generally relate coins to material affairs as well as finances, so in a reading it could represent growth of resourses, a windfall or just generally having alot in life to deal with.

Interesting card jmd.

tmgrl2

jmd, I like "abundance of abundance" for this eight.

Since it is a card of the material, I see it as a place one could get "stuck" accumulating more of what one already has, sitting on the foundations one has built (two 4's) and possibly failing to see that we must move to grow.

Life's cycles must happen for growth to occur..for change to happen. To refuse to attend to this process, could lead to a sort of fixation or crystalization of energies on the material plane,

Efforts have been rewarded, but one cannot stay static and grow. This is a time when we could suffer self-deception as a result of comfort gained.

terri

Sophie

I don't see VIII Deniers as static: I would see stability tending towards stagnation if it goes on too long in the IIII Deniers; rather, the VIII is the moment where the Deniers have reached perfect balance - the "cosmic balance" of the 8, which is a single moment in time, representing eternity; around it all changes, all the time, but at that point in time, things are held in beautiful balance. This is symbolised by a single red point - the centre of the flower at the heart of this rather busy card. (That red point can be found also in the VI Deniers and the X Deniers, where they show the point of harmony - or the exact moment when choice is made- and the precise moment of completion.)

I believe the aims of mankind are Justice, Freedom and Love. Here we see Justice at work in the material plane - an idea that in reaching this ideal point of balance in financial or physical terms, or more widely, in terms of manifestation, we can more fully dedicate ourselves to other endeavours (Love and Freedom). But it is also about making our living in a just manner and making sure we are equitable in our financial and commercial dealings. I see the whole notion of Fair Trade contained in this card. In political terms it would be about making sure we make real our promises; and not deal unjustly with allies or enemies one would make peace with. I think of that whenever I hear discussions of "anything for the sake of peace" which leads to the amnesty of criminals. In Deniers terms, it means not letting people get away with what they have stolen (money, land, lives). As we are seeing in Chile at the moment, sooner or later, once peace is restored, the demand for Justice - that is, the re-establishmment of cosmic balance - grows stronger. Denial of Justice eventually leads straight back to strife.

Of course, the trap is to pursue only Justice/cosmic balance- in any sense (material, emotional, creative, intellectual), and to forget Love and Freedom, or delay them. Furthermore, in pursing Justice alone, and not Love or Freedom, we will never reach that point of perfect balance, which contains all our deepest goals. But nor do Love and Freedom make any sense without Justice.

The higher manifestation of VIII is XVIII-La Lune: so with the Deniers, we are reminded that balance can be a matter of applying imagination and intuition to material questions (great entrepreneurs and genius financiers are often intuitive and always imaginative); of not falling into the illusion that balance alone will bring success. There might also be some warning not to harbour any illusions about the perenity of material and physical balance: we might lose all tomorrow, we might fall ill.