Journaling the Thoth

MakoMoonPool

I need some pointers at where to start journaling this deck... There are so many ways to go, but I'm confused.
What are the most important information to include about each card?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zephyros

Some background on the ways you intend to approach the deck might help give you better advice. When I was studying it intensively I always began with an analysis of the Hebrew letter and its meaning, the mythology associated with its astrological attribution, then the significance of the path to its neighbors, then its place in Thelemic processes, then the card itself and its imagery and finally any other matters pertaining to a card. It took me, on average, between three and six months to a card and was immensely rewarding.

foolMoon

then the significance of the path to its neighbors, then its place in Thelemic processes, then the card itself and its imagery and finally any other matters pertaining to a card. It took me, on average, between three and six months to a card and was immensely rewarding.

Could you please elaborate on

1. the significance of the path to its neighbors
2. its place in Thelemic processes
3. any other matters pertaining to a card

Thanks.

MakoMoonPool

btw, because of my knowledge of oracle decks, I want to include some positive affirmations for each cards. I feel it makes it extra special :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zephyros

Could you please elaborate on

1. the significance of the path to its neighbors
2. its place in Thelemic processes
3. any other matters pertaining to a card

Thanks.

1. The deck is arranged on the kabbalistic Tree of Life (attached) on which every card denotes a path. Many things can be learned about a card from its placement and connections can be found in other cards that shed more light on it. For example, the Magus and Devil parallel, while the Devil and Hermit are opposite each other on Tiphareth. There is significance in these things.

2. The Tree of Life, and by extension the deck, shows a process of initiation by which one achieves their True Will, the main precept of Thelema. Every card is a station on this journey and this affects a card's meaning and significance.

3. Anything that isn't dealt with in the literature directly pertaining to the card. For example, the cultural significance of the Moon, the Devil throughout history, the structure of Solomon's Temple, any Golden Dawn or OTO rituals that would involve the card, etc.

Attachments

• Treeoflife0.gif
    Treeoflife0.gif
    24.3 KB · Views: 255

foolMoon

1. The deck is arranged on the kabbalistic Tree of Life (attached) on which every card denotes a path. Many things can be learned about a card from its placement and connections can be found in other cards that shed more light on it. For example, the Magus and Devil parallel, while the Devil and Hermit are opposite each other on Tiphareth. There is significance in these things.

So what are the significances of the Magus and Devil being parallel, and the Devil and Hermit opposite? What about the Fool and Death parallel, and the Death and Adjustment opposite?

What about the cards that are remotely placed each other for instance, the Fool and Aeon?

I m sure topics about these details had been discussed in the past, but would be nice to reiterate them just to freshen up the memory :)

Michael Sternbach

Actually, I came to take Crowley's (Golden Dawn) Tarot attributions with a grain of salt. Did you notice that there are three "mother letters" that belong to the elements according to the Sepher Yetzirah, just like there are three horizontal paths on the ToL? Further, there are seven letters that belong to the planets, and seven vertical paths on the ToL. And then there are twelve paths that belong to the zodiacal signs, much like there are twelve diagonal paths on the ToL. However, Crowley (the GD) didn't take any of this in account.

This is not to say that one shouldn't consider these attributions. After all, the Thoth refers to them. But I'm not sure how much regarding thr significance of the cards can be deduced based on the given Kabbalistic attributions (of course, it's easy to rationalize anything). I doubt that they are the crux of the matter.

Talking about the affirmations that the OP wishes to link to the Thoth cards, and just to shock the traditionalists here a little more :D, Ziegler's Mirror of the Soul is chock full with them.

My personal approach to journaling the Thoth cards is to write down whatever I come up with myself or find in the literature regarding their interpretations, if it clicks.

Zephyros

So what are the significances of the Magus and Devil being parallel, and the Devil and Hermit opposite? What about the Fool and Death parallel, and the Death and Adjustment opposite?

What about the cards that are remotely placed each other for instance, the Fool and Aeon?

I m sure topics about these details had been discussed in the past, but would be nice to reiterate them just to freshen up the memory :)

That would be for another time... in another thread. Also, what these significances mean are really things the students must work out for themselves, it is part of the process. In fact it is essential that the student does work it out alone because the answers are so subjective.

seedcake

Some background on the ways you intend to approach the deck might help give you better advice. When I was studying it intensively I always began with an analysis of the Hebrew letter and its meaning, the mythology associated with its astrological attribution, then the significance of the path to its neighbors, then its place in Thelemic processes, then the card itself and its imagery and finally any other matters pertaining to a card. It took me, on average, between three and six months to a card and was immensely rewarding.

Thank you, Zephyros. I'll note down your approach.

I'm not journaling Thoth per se, only readings. I should give a bit more of structure to my study.

smw

I'm not journaling Thoth per se, only readings. I should give a bit more of structure to my study.

ehhh... me to. I have tended to have a bit of a haphazard approach, so I have blanks everywhere. Though I have found with previous (long time ago!) study that getting to grips with a basic framework or tree ( or could be Tree of Life, here) ) makes it easier to hang on more complex ideas. Instead of trying to hang them on a wonky frame and just getting things muddled.