Nine of Cups

Ronia

To me it's still the wish card with one minor but important clarification - the card doesn't mean the wish will fall fulfilled from the sky but indicates this period of time, this moment is good for making this wish come true. I like the Sharman-Caselli card which is about sharing the pleasures of life and not about indulgence or overindulgence. As a daily draw it usually brings me very calm days, when I do what pleases me without hurting anyone doing so.

Herzog

How about, "be careful what you wish for" :)

Fostha

HerzogIsGod said:
How about, "be careful what you wish for" :)
yeah,cos sometimes when you get it,your the only one whos really sat back smiling,and others fail miserably to see why ,no smugness about it whatsoever

eyeDEEclaire

I had to come back to this thread because this card has been popping up for at least 3 months.
I can't figure out how it applies to anything in my life. But what really bugs me is my Art Nouveau deck. Pretty cards but the symbolism(or lack there of) is just killing me!
In the nine of cups, it has a woman looking at a bust(of herself?) and laughing. Is she drunk? Is this supposed to represent narcissism? I'm confused by this image.

http://www.bohemianpathtarot.com/sitebuilder/images/9_Cups_Art_Nouveau-155x279.jpg

tarotguidance

eyeDEEclaire,

Of course it would depend on the position and the surrounding cards.

This image certainly suggests self-admiration. The dominant colors of violet may represent spirituality, devotion, and peace. One of the suggested meanings of nine is reflections.

Perhaps the woman in the cards feels fulfillment. She's reflected upon her own image, spiritually and physical, and feels proud of where she she is in life and what she has accomplished.

Fostha

Looks like complete emotional fulfilment to me,she's not looking at anyone else to give it to her(9's do indicate completion,before the closure of the cycle with the 10)....or,she's simply too p****d to see straight and focus.:D

eyeDEEclaire

tarotguidance said:
eyeDEEclaire,

Of course it would depend on the position and the surrounding cards.

This image certainly suggests self-admiration. The dominant colors of violet may represent spirituality, devotion, and peace. One of the suggested meanings of nine is reflections.

Perhaps the woman in the cards feels fulfillment. She's reflected upon her own image, spiritually and physical, and feels proud of where she she is in life and what she has accomplished.

Thanks! I never really thought of it that way but it makes perfect sense!

eyeDEEclaire

Fostha said:
Looks like complete emotional fulfilment to me,she's not looking at anyone else to give it to her(9's do indicate completion,before the closure of the cycle with the 10)....or,she's simply too p****d to see straight and focus.:D

Well, I sure hope it's an indication of something positive in my future! I'm far from fulfilled in ANY aspect of my life but I'm not currently too p****d to see straight(LOL!)...most likely, I'm gonna have nine glasses of wine and end up smiling into the mirror, saying "Yeah, I'm all dat!"

celticnoodle

eyeDEEclaire, your father sounds like mine! I'd think you were my sister, but my father is now deceased, so, I know it's not the same father. :p

however, even in the other 'plane', daddy eats junk food. he was known as the ol' choc-a-holic king! he always had candy wrappers all around him, and always smelled of chocolate. :laugh: and, he still comes back, convincing my mom to make his favorite candies and cakes. she'll call me and say, "I don't know what came over me, but I just had to make "insert one of daddy's favorites here* today and thought of your father the whole time!" :p

anyway, the 9 of cups also reminds me of someone I know well, who feels the need to 'keep up with the Jones'. they don't have a lot of money, but will do whatever it takes to appear they have a lot--and beg, borrow (not steal, TG) to keep that appearance up.

bought way too much house for themselves, because it was 'the NICE neighborhood, where people who have money live'. :rolleyes: buy a new car every other year, tho they have a hard time keeping up the payments, because it would be terribly embarrassing to keep the same car for more then 2yrs. :rolleyes: I get this card for that person often, when I read for them. I can't help but to think of them now, when it pops up-tho, I know it doesn't ONLY mean this. but, you know how after awhile a certain card will just MAKE you think of a specific person you know???

eyeDEEclaire

CelticNoodle:D

First, I must say, I'm so sorry your father is deceased:(...It's always nice to get those "signs" from the other side, though(even if it means your mom has to make a cake for no reason)!

Your take on the 9 of cups makes sense to me regarding a friend I have(who may not be such a great friend). Thank you for your insight! It's got me thinking on it from a different perspective...aw, crap- I thought I was going to get my "wish"!;) Booooo...

Also, I love your screen name! I saw it a few days ago and it made me smile!