Solar/lunar return charts?

january

Hi there everyone -

Perhaps this has already been discussed in a past thread, if so i was sleeping and missed it :|. I was wondering, what are solar return and lunar return charts? How are they useful, or, rather, how are they used?

Any information would be appreciated!

Minderwiz

A SolarReturn chart is cast for the moment that the Sun returns to the position in the Zodiac it occupied at your moment of birth.

Thus I was born with the Sun at 29 degrees 45 minutes Libra, So each time the Sun returns to this degree I have a solar return. As the Sun takes a year to move through all the signs, we have a Solar Return once a year. However, it is not exact to the day hour and minute of our birth. Thus my Solar return this year was on October 23rd (at 9:22 a.m. BST), some 15 hours before my birth time. This is because the Earth's orbit of the Sun is not exact to the hour, let alone the minute.

A Lunar Return is the same thing but this time using the Moon and charting the moment it returns to its natal position. As the Moon moves through the entire Zodiac in around 29 days, we have a lunar return each month.

The return charts can be used to forecast the year ahead (Solar Return) or the month ahead (lunar return) for us.

Incidentally, whilst the Sun or Moon has returned to its original position in a return chart the other planets will not have, as they all take different periods to complete their movements through the zodiac. Thus your solar return chart for this year does not resemble your natal chart in any other respect (except by chance) nor does it resemble last year's solar return chart (except by chance). Thus one month, or one year should be different from the last one!

Its also possible to chart the returns of all the other planets, though only those up to Uranus (when you're around 84) can actually occur during your life. The Jupiter and Saturn returns (every 11 years and 29 years) are the main ones used after Sun and Moon and mark your passage into adulthood.

Best wishes

january

That makes so much sense. It also gave rise to the thought that each of us truly are unique, given that its not a great chance that the planets return to the EXACT place at the time of birth. I guess as each of us are born, the mold really is broken!

However, do returns bring forth any significance and why do people have solar/lunar charts done? Currently, I am looking back over the past year and, using a zodiacal zephyr, marking the moments of my lunar return. I'm finding that those are the hours when I'm very emotionally vulnerable and sets the tone for the day or so. I guess I'm approaching my study of astrology as I do with Tarot - keeping a journal.

So, the way I'm trying to help myself understand solar returns is likening them to going back to the same vacation spot year after year. There's something familar indeed, but there may be different people and things aren't always in the same place as the last time. Although you've "returned" some things are different which can bring opportunity and a need for adjustment while at the same time, the familiar energizes you and gives you the confidence to go out and explore.

If I had known about the concepts of planetary returns last year, I would have made my grandmother a birthday card saying "Now That You're 84..." (open card) "... Uranus Has FINALLY Returned..." She would have gotten such a kick out of it, LOL!

As always, thank you sooooo much, Minderwiz!