Four of Swords -- why not death?

Psychebleu

cuddles said:
this is an interesting discussion of a fascinating card but has anything been "proven"?

My thoughts exactly.

firemaiden

Okay, how about "convincingly shown".

Willa

He is not dead just worn out and needs time to rest, and regroup, and regroup he must as his problems are still present, as indicated by the swords.

SalomeTorera

Nope I don't think she's dead (There's a woman figure on my deck's 4 of Swords). I see her as Sleeping Beauty - she's in a sleep/death-like state but at some point she WILL be woken up.

Demon Goddess

not dead... resting...

Ooops, I posted this on the older thread, should have posted it here, I suppose.

I have received this card several times over the past few weeks in reference to a situation we are going through that involves the physical and emotional separation of my husband from his children. This caused by the twisted ramblings of the madman that just happens to be my step-daughter's boyfriend.

Last night I got this card in the Desires postion of a Celtic Cross and in addition to all of the other meanings, saw this as a desire for "peace" -- in the sense, I guess of balance being a peace between him and his children, because they have completely broken the last ties, (at least until the boyfriend is out of the picture) and gone their separate ways. I also see hope in the future that the break is temporary as I said, until the boyfriend is out of the picture. When the children will return, but that the impasse is in effect and will stay in place for a while.

So... as to the question of death or sleep. In a sense it's dead, but it's only dead for a while, there is hope of the afterlife, if you will.

Dunno if anyone else might see that like that. But that's what I got.

I can't imagine this card ever meaning actual death. There is far too much future in the card for me.

stella01904

MM ~ My take:
It looks like a death card.
It is usually metaphorical.
In a grouping of other RWS cards with dead people on them, YES, it probably indicates someone will be shuffling off this mortal coil. With Death and the Ten of Swords, for instance. It's up to you how, and whether, you want to tell this to a friend or client.

Books: "neevvveeerrr ppreeddictt ddeeeath"
Shut up. You were written for newbies.
"the Tarrrott nevvvver pprrredicts ddeeeaathh"
Of course it does. I've done it, lots of people have done it.
"neevvverrr nevverrrr, nooooooo"

See the surrounding cards to see how this will impact the person. It can still be minimal. It's just part of life. :) :smoker:
BB, Stella

Demon Goddess

lol, Stella.

Anyone who has ever seen a real death in their cards is now sitting here chuckling. :D

Moonleap

stella01904 said:
MM ~ My take:
It looks like a death card.
It is usually metaphorical.
In a grouping of other RWS cards with dead people on them, YES, it probably indicates someone will be shuffling off this mortal coil. With Death and the Ten of Swords, for instance. It's up to you how, and whether, you want to tell this to a friend or client.

How refreshing! Death is part of life--that this would never come up does not make sense.

Emily

I always see this card as one of rest and recuperation - I get it when I'm worn out and overworked and it serves as a reminder to slow down. I love the Spiral 4 Swords - she looks so peaceful under that warm blanket on a comfy chair. :)