The other Fives ...

tarotbear

Although the Fives are not tied into the Priest Image of major #5, the two men in the card seem to appear; the Fives most resemble the RWS images. Since the Five of Coins has it's own thread I am going to discuss the 'other Fives.'

Cups - been there ~ done this! In the RWs one always wonders if the guy's cape knocked the Cups over - but here Mr. Butterfingers has somehow happened to drop three out of five rather largish Cups - Margarita-sized ones, perhaps? LOL! At least they weren't full and spilling all over the floor. The dismayed young man knows there is no way he is going to cover this screw-up from his lover, but the image still retains it's powerful message: there are still two more cups on the counter- unbroken- so use the remaining ones and move on about the broken ones. The couple still has a set for their own use, so look for the opportunities that are still available to you. {And don't expect any sex this weekend!}

Wands - hockey team fighting for the puck - EXCELLENT re-imaging! All that agression and testosterone and mine!mine!mine! I always look at this card as 'spinning your wheels' - every one out for themselves and no clear winner in sight.

Swords - another excellent re-imaging of the sneering man with all the swords(tennis racquets) that he has taken - possibly unfairly - from an opponent. The dark-haired man with the pointy back-of-the-neck haircut reappears on this card as the aggressor. Didn't he learn something from his broken leg? LOL! He's learned it doesn't matter how you play the game as long as you win. Whenever this card appears, I am sure to ask the Querent about it, since this card presents two sides of the situation, and the querent may be the victim and not necessarily the aggressor.

Remember - the Fives are cards about change - sphere #5 Geburah on the Tree of Life. In my estimation, the Fives are negative when upright and more positive when reversed.

Lee

tarotbear said:
Cups - been there ~ done this! In the RWs one always wonders if the guy's cape knocked the Cups over - but here Mr. Butterfingers has somehow happened to drop three out of five rather largish Cups [...] The dismayed young man knows there is no way he is going to cover this screw-up from his lover, but the image still retains it's powerful message: there are still two more cups on the counter- unbroken- so use the remaining ones and move on about the broken ones. [...]
What I had in mind was that he had broken them deliberately in a fit of rage, and now regrets his action. But I like your interpretation just as well.

-- Lee

tarotbear

Let's get smashed!

Lee said:
What I had in mind was that he had broken them deliberately in a fit of rage, and now regrets his action. But I like your interpretation just as well.

-- Lee

Oh - he's a 'drama queen.' Interesting, because in the standard RWS imagery, the figure is in despair - but you are not sure if he is the cause or if it is the affect of someone else's actions. Your interpretation makes him the 'active' principle in the action. That adds another dimension to the card.

Elentir

Lee's remark is extremely enlightening. I think that adds lots to the nuances of this card. As far as the link to Geburah, it makes more sense there, too, I think. I do remember throwing a mug of coffee to the floor and smashing it in a fit of rage once.... but somehow I don't recall if I was sorry about it or not ;)

This card struck a chord with me personally because my partner and I have a set of wine glasses that he bought for one of our very first gift-giving events (I don't remember if it was a birthday, or Christmas, or what). In the last year, two have broken, and it really upset me on an emotional level.