Best Bargains

bhakti

My best bargain has got to be the Jacques Vieville. Found it a few months ago at R. Sommerville for $20!!!

morticia monroe

Probably the last really good deal I found was a large white-box Thoth greenie for $8 at a little gypsy shop near my daughters college apartment. The owner said it was a trade-in from a reader in the area.

That was probably a year ago. I really need to get back there.

Oh, and also a copy of a first edition (with the brilliant colors) Dreaming in Color-Luman deck that I found from a seller on Amazon for less than $10. This deck is my favorite oracle, and the first edition colors are far superior to the later editions.

I really haven't done much deck purchasing lately, I'm happy with my collection and no longer have a wish-list. But nothing beats the thrill of a great find, does it?

nisaba

I can't decide what was my best bargain, though there are two contenders. both bought some time ago.

One was the Tarot Balbi, second-hand, loved and used constantly for decades so that the cards were falling apart, and with ecentric key-words that belong to no Tarot system I've ever seen written on each card in fountain pen (so, not a deck to use in summer when I'm sweating). The Majors in particular are so worn-thin that you can hardly see the images, and you can see light through the cardstock. All that love and all that use - a fantastic deck.

The other would have to be the Tarot of the Cloisters. I only really discovered it after it went OOP. One of our more famous enablers here tracked me down a copy on Amazon-I-think-it-was, for a mere $8.00 because it was OOP. What kind of seller is that, who will sell you something brand-new and still sealed for LESS once it becomes a sought-after collectors' item? No idea, some people. <shakes head sadly>.

Morwenna

nisaba said:
The other would have to be the Tarot of the Cloisters. I only really discovered it after it went OOP. One of our more famous enablers here tracked me down a copy on Amazon-I-think-it-was, for a mere $8.00 because it was OOP. What kind of seller is that, who will sell you something brand-new and still sealed for LESS once it becomes a sought-after collectors' item? No idea, some people. <shakes head sadly>.

Sad for them, glad for you! :) I swear, now that I have AT to peruse, never again will I pass up tag-sale cards because of potential duplication! Even if I'm not eligible for the trade forum, I could still do the Nonny thing!

Debra

I won a new, sealed Fergus Hall Tarot of the Witches on e-bay. $1.04 :laugh:

Le Fanu

I won a new, sealed Fergus Hall Tarot of the Witches on e-bay. $1.04 :laugh:
Well done! Belgium or Italy?

*thinking of my most recent bargain*

nope... Nothing of note. A bargain for me is $1 (yours was just over) or 1 euro...

Debra

Exchange rate is everything :p

1 euro = 1.3207 US dollars

For $1.04 I dunno or care if it's printed in hell.

Oh wait. Those are the ones marked "made in China." :(

Mi-Shell

Currently I am grinning ear to ear:
I think me, trading for 2 wonderful Il Meneghello decks with Moon Gypsy Is a Great bargain!
I could not otherwise afford such treasures as
LE Tarocco di Marsiglia (Svizzera 1804) Il Meneghello
and the Tarocchi di Besancon!
And I am already having fun making a leather and fur pouch for her Ironwing deck to her specifications :)

Le Fanu

Woke up with a start much earlier than usual...

Must go to flea market and have a mooch around (bit of a rush as I don't have much time of a morning). Quick breakfast and caught a taxi.

After having been there for around 30 mins looking round the stalls I saw a Rider Waite deck among other stuff on the floor. Asked the price; 10 euros. Mmm, 10 euros for an essentially new RWS, but I picked it up anyway and discovered it was an original 1968 Tarot Productions Albano Waite. Box not even scuffed. I quickly counted the cards which felt like they'd never even been used. LWB still pristine. Not even loose flaps on the box.

Of course within moments it was MINE })

In the taxi on the way home I kept counting and recounting the cards, incredulous that it is complete and so new...

Nydia

an original 1968 Tarot Productions Albano Waite. Box not even scuffed. I quickly counted the cards which felt like they'd never even been used. LWB still pristine. Not even loose flaps on the box.

What a fabulous find, Le Fanu!