Wildwood Tarot

Sidhe-Ra

Oh, come on, they've only just started working on it! :)

WolfSpirit

sravana said:
If the new art follows the old art very closely, then it might be worth the purchase. But if the cards are all new - no way for me. Of course, I have the original, which I got back in the day and paid retail. Perhaps if I didn't have it the Wildwood would make some sense for me.

For me, it is just the opposite. A deck that would try to look like the Greenwood, would only make the differences more clear. Unless, maybe, you had one of those copy-artists who could copy Chesca Potter's style exactly, but who would also at the same time manage to capture the spirit of the Greenwood.
I love my Greenwood but I am also looking forward to the Wildwood, as an independent deck judged on its own merits - a deck in the spirit of the Greenwood, but a different deck nonetheless.

Le Fanu

WolfSpirit said:
I love my Greenwood but I am also looking forward to the Wildwood, as an independent deck judged on its own merits - a deck in the spirit of the Greenwood, but a different deck nonetheless.

I think that this is the best way to approach in. Besides, for those of us who don´t have the Greenwood, we will have no choice but to take it on its own terms. Im quite curious about it even though I don´t think I have much background knowledge of the deck´s theme.

I like Jewel´s analogy of a movie remake....

Sophie

sravana said:
If the new art follows the old art very closely, then it might be worth the purchase. But if the cards are all new - no way for me. Of course, I have the original, which I got back in the day and paid retail. Perhaps if I didn't have it the Wildwood would make some sense for me.
Well you see, Chesca Potter brought back those images from her explorations between the worlds - they are images of the otherworld and of the underlying forces of the ancient European greenwood; that's how she could bring to life the ancient pre-celtic lore. So her art cannot, in any way, be copied. The result would be flat and without life. The line would can be copied, but not the soul and the heartbeat of the art. You'd end up with something that was neither the Greenwood - because it would not in any way have its depth of purpose and intensity - nor something original.

The artist of the Wildwood will - if she is concerned at producing similar results - be following the same shamanic/visionary approach, and closeness to the land and its lore. It can't be done otherwise. It also can only be done by someone with close contact with and knowledge of the European greenwood.

For example, an American artist in America couldn't do it - they would have to have lived on this side of the Atlantic for a while to be filled with the energy of the land; as well as be a visionary/shaman. On the other hand, a European artist who was not a visionary couldn't do it either.

The 78th Fool

I'm really interested to see the finished results. I think Virginia is a fantastic illustrator and the project to evolve the concept of the original Greenwood Tarot is really exciting.

Chris. xx

Jewel

WolfSpirit said:
I am also looking forward to the Wildwood, as an independent deck judged on its own merits - a deck in the spirit of the Greenwood, but a different deck nonetheless.
That is what I am hoping for as well.

Nevada

sravana said:
We'll see. Sadly, I rarely like movie remakes of old loved classics either.

I think Fudugazi makes some excellent points.

That said, I don't like to dismiss a deck without seeing it, so I'll try to keep an open mind.

But oak_woman, why post a thread calling this "a new edition of the Greenwood" when it's not?

Moonsparkle

It's sounding to me like it might be a redrawing based on the basic system of the Greenwood, analogous to the various RWS clones or close revisionings to the RWS.

It might be something similar to what appears to have been done with the "Celtic Shaman's Pack" to the "Celtic Oracle", both by John Matthews but with different artists.

Jewel

Moonsparkle said:
It's sounding to me like it might be a redrawing based on the basic system of the Greenwood, analogous to the various RWS clones or close revisionings to the RWS.
That is my guess as well.

oak_woman

Nevada said:
But oak_woman, why post a thread calling this "a new edition of the Greenwood" when it's not?

I actually titled the thread 'Wildwood Tarot', so it clearly was never going to be, strictly speaking, a new 'edition' of the Greenwood. That's why it has a new name, I imagine. It's true that, as an editor myself, I should have picked up on the inaccurate use of the word!

However, I don't think I misled anyone, as the first post I made not only mentioned the new name, but the new illustrator and working partnership. I'm sure there will be similarities between the two decks, but they are bound to feel different from each other in other respects.

If the Wheel of the Year structure is kept, with the re-ordering and re-naming of some of the Majors to fit this, I'm pretty sure that those who are new to the Greenwood (and don't feel they have any hope of ever acquiring one) will find something to interest them in the Wildwood. I'm not saying they'll definitely like the structure, as it takes some getting used to and negates many of the numerologically-derived meanings for the majors, but it's great that everyone will now have the chance to find out for themselves.

As you may have guessed, I've loved it right from the day I wiped both sides of each and every one of my 78 'used' Greenwood cards!