Reactions to Deviant Moon Tarot?

HearthCricket

I have always had mixed feelings about this deck. Overall, I like it. I like the characters and their quirkiness. Some cards are absolutely gorgeous and the colours are rich and powerful. Patrick said this was his nightmare world. It isn't mine, though, and thus I cannot connect to it in that way. I am still trying to create my own world of who these beings are. The part that bothers me the most is the factories. I also live in New England and these images don't remind me at all of the factories in the mill towns around here. I do know a lot of horror stories of what went on inside, though. Abuse, children losing fingers and hands, workers dying from breathing in the fluff of the cotton mills. My grandmother worked in one for 6 months, became very ill and had to be shipped off to a farm to clear her lungs. Her sister also worked in one but died. But to me the drawings of the factories, with their chimneys, and the horror on some of the characters faces remind me more of crematoriums during the Holocaust. Not a good feeling in a deck, at all, and I doubt I will ever read with this deck for clients. But when you get to cards that are downright beautiful, just want to click with it, so badly. I plan to give it another go. For artwork and originality, I will always keep it. I need to see how it connects with me, this time around. It is on the list to start working with, anyhow, so time will tell. My world and life is not this dark, so to me it is very make-believe.

Morgane_49

Is there a companion book to go with the deck? (I'm sure this has been asked elsewhere!)

I know that sometimes, getting a better look into the deck through the creators eyes helps!

LisaHuntArt

Morgane_49 said:
Is there a companion book to go with the deck? (I'm sure this has been asked elsewhere!)

I know that sometimes, getting a better look into the deck through the creators eyes helps!

I think Patrick mentioned that he's trying to get USG to print a companion book. That would be great, wouldn't it? And I think it would sell really well.

Le Fanu

Onyx said:
In the end I think that this is one of those decks that you either like or don't
I'm kind of on the fence. I like it a bit, but not love, certainly don't hate it, certainly don't find it creepy... :)

Yes I read with it, yes I think it is rapidly becoming one of the most "loved" decks by many, many people. I think it deserves it because it has a unique vision, and a very unique atmosphere. On reflection it is one of the most inventive and artistic and - at the same time - readable of recent releases. Of course not everyone will like it though.

The problem I have with it is that those strange creatures are not human and so I just don't identify with them. They're not from my dreams. But that's just me. I'm very aware that it has a very solid (and growing) fan base. Sometimes I get it out and read with it and wonder why I don't use it more often. But then I forget about it and I just don't feel it will ever consistantly be a part of my Top Ten favourites.

I am always struck by how easy a deck it is for me to read. It really seems to be one of those, pick up and off you go decks... But beyond the RWS-ness of it, there isn't enough to really stimulate new thinking for me and keep me captivated. But I have enormous admiration for it.

Sebavin

I love the Deviant...I don't think I could hate it even if I tried to. It's become my standard deck to read with, taking the place of my old and worn RWS. It never even occurred to me that some people might find it disturbing, be cause in my opinion it really isn't. I dunno, it just makes sense to me. The readings I've done with it are very accurate, and to the point. The artwork is amazing, my favorite card in the deck without question is the Seven of Pents...I just love the little witch :D.

That being said, I don't know how I feel about reading to people who may be under the influence of drugs...if they are doing it to try to "free their minds" in a sense, then I suppose that tarot could help with that. I guess I never really thought about it.

iceclone

Love it.

I'm so new to using tarot but ever since I saw a picture of the deviant moon, I was quickly drawn to it. For obvious reasons, I think it's the art and design. I like vivid colors and the dark tones too, but it doesn't scare me at all. It's easily readable and I'm very happy about that.

irisa

Morgane_49 said:

Email USG (US Games) and say you would like one seems the more people that let them know they want one the more chance there is we'll get one :)

Mentioned by Patrick at the bottom of his post here:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=1973426&postcount=1230

irisa :)

BeyondtheVeil

I don't understand why someone would want to read with it either. I know that we are all different so use what you want. I just would not want a reading done with that deck especially if I had to look at the cards. I have thought morbid, scary, gross, depressing, etc also. It just creeps me out and I love tarot. lol

firefrost

I'm with the ones who are creeped out by it, too.

irisa

BeyondtheVeil said:
I don't understand why someone would want to read with it either. I know that we are all different so use what you want. I just would not want a reading done with that deck especially if I had to look at the cards. I have thought morbid, scary, gross, depressing, etc also. It just creeps me out and I love tarot. lol

I don't understand how anyone can see anything depressing or scary about DM.

I get amazing readings with it which actually took me by suprise. I love the artwork but the cards have depth and vibrancy missed at first glance.

I find RWS morbid and very depressing. Different strokes for different folks :D

irisa :)