Reactions to Deviant Moon Tarot?

jackdaw*

I want to like it. The colours draw me in. But the overall feeling of the deck is repellent.

thorhammer

I like individual images, as artwork. I love the Death card, too - the horse skulls really affected me. But the whole deck . . . every card just kind of blurred into the next and it just didn't do it for me.

Besides, I thought the physical production of the deck shameful. Poor Patrick.

I'd love a print of his work, though, to hang in my house and watch peeps' reaction when they see it :D })

\m/ Kat

WaterSong

I find it horrid, the sensations and images it summons are not comfortable, this world made of soulless critters is very unsettling....why allow this type of imagery invade our psyche?

I agree with HeartCrickect about some scenes having an "holocaust" flavor that truly disturbs me....

The Hanson Roberts "creepy" ? LOL LOL of course most well thought decks have a shadow side, as it is what life is about, but from there to say that it is "creepy" the characters look very human to me...I don't see any images in it that make me feel I have landed in some post-nuclear universe where insects have taken over....shudders....

WickedSky

I think Patrick should be commended on a most excellant deck.. I have read with it. And have excellant results. My wife likes the Deviant Moon tarot so much. She bought one for herself.
I find absolutly no creepiness to it at all. And cannot understand why anybody could possibly feel that way. I can understand not having a connection with it. But creepy..I don't understand. The Deviant Moon is a unique deck. I find it very rewarding to say the least.
Blessed Be
WickedSky

Briar Rose

In my opinion, the Deviant Moon is a brilliant deck! Patrick has an excellent choice of color that goes along with the placement and the size of the imagery.

The cards are truthful and easy to read. I get answers from what should be right in front of me, to the shadow side of life.

For me, the cards are both old and modern at the same time! How did he do that?! BRILLIANT. In the art world we would say, this artist nailed it!

Out of all the decks, isn't this one that got voted 1st place for the year?

WaterSong

Briar Rose said:
Out of all the decks, isn't this one that got voted 1st place for the year?

that is not the measure by which I form my opinion....:)

The art work is well executed, yes.... the issue is not the technique used, the level of skill and how well he expressed his visions....my issue *are* the visions....I find them disturbing, not something I would like to welcome in my mind....the creatures depicted in this work are lifeless and belong to a universe that has nothing human in it, and that disturbs me, as I cannot relate to any of the images....

This is not about the artist, it is about what he chose to express and I don't like it....to do readings I need to relate to what I see and most of all when people come for a reading most often are looking to be reassured and are anxious enough about their issues for me to lay on the table this deck....I think it could be a great deck for personal readings, if you like this type of subject, but I am sure it would not work with most of the people I read for.

The Bohemian Tarot, on the other hand, does not cause in me this reaction, as I can certainly relate to the images....I can recognize the characters and their emotions ....the critter in the Deviant Moon are from a universe I don't recognize.

Patrick is a talented artist...it requires lost of talent to create such universe, but then,it does not work for me.

You want to explore *darkness* ? turn on the TV.

xoxoxox

zan_chan

I had received the Deviant Moon as a gift from my mother but, after initially being blown away by the artwork and thinking that the artist had created such a unique world, wasn't really able to see it as a reading deck (it just seemed too--sorry!--Nightmare Before Xmas) and put it away.

However, after reading through this whole thread a few hours ago, I couldn't help but pull it out and give it another chance and just had two wonderful readings with it. Very insightful advice, and very intuitive too. Maybe I'm going to have to try to put into rotation now.

And I think I see what Briar Rose is saying about it having been voted number 1 last year. The "cool" deck is always going to come and go. Last year, the Deviant Moon was the it deck. This year its the Legacy of the Divine that everyones on. No reason to get negative just because it isn't the new kid anymore.

WaterSong

zan_chan said:
And I think I see what Briar Rose is saying about it having been voted number 1 last year. The "cool" deck is always going to come and go. Last year, the Deviant Moon was the it deck. This year its the Legacy of the Divine that everyones on. No reason to get negative just because it isn't the new kid anymore.

so, that is the criteria by which you end up liking or using a deck? because the majority considers it "cool"? or because you really really like it and the images talk to you?
And so...disagreeing from the main opinion, or having a personal one, is "negative"?

What about giving an honest opinion about how the imagery of a deck makes us feel...I am glad it works for you and for others,but it doesn't for me.

The way you presented this sounds to me a little like we are talking about the new boots on fashion, everybody wears them so I must have them ....Tarot is a a bit different than that, as it allows entrance into our psyche, spirituality and our inner world and the one of others.....so you need to be in "tune" with the images and the story told in them. You need to know yourself enough to know what works for you or not, this is nothing personal or against the artist. For me a world populated by insects is not a source of inspiration nor assists me in connecting with my intuition....

This is not the new cool pair of shoes or new IPod we are talking about...
I love the Impressionist and most of Picasso gives me a headache...does that take any artistic value from his work? no, just my own personal taste.

cheers

zan_chan

magenta said:
so, that is the criteria by which you end up liking or using a deck? because the majority considers it "cool"? or because you really really like it and the images talk to you?
And so...disagreeing from the main opinion, or having a personal one, is "negative"?

No! Absolutely not! I definitely agree with you, that in tarot, as in life, personal taste is far more important than mass opinion.

I meant that from this thread the group opinion on the deviant moon seems to be arching in the opposite direction. It feels like finding things to dislike about it is becoming the thing to do. I just hope that we aren't being influenced against it, rather than letting our personal opinions enjoy it as much as we should.

If you just weren't into it from the start, thats an entirely different story :)

WaterSong

zan_chan said:
If you just weren't into it from the start, thats an entirely different story :)

exactly, I never liked it but it is also totally possible that some may change their minds, and from not liking it end up loving it or viceversa...but, in honesty, I am intrigued by the ones that can actually work with this deck, so interesting to see how different we can be about what "talks' to us...like all the "Vampire" decks....what on Earth is so attractive about that?
I have an enough hard time watching the news....yet, some really love that theme, and get great readings with them.

I hope in the future such talented artist will produce something I can actually use, as I can appreciate his skill and talent...

best to you
xoxooxox