Quantum Deck, Further Questions

nisaba

KarlThomas said:
Fascinating breakthrough in Physics today...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/03/science/03teleportation.html?ref=science

Makes me wonder if "entanglement" comes up in the quantum deck, ans also, what interesting articles in physics people here are stumbling on.
Selectively stolen from the article at that very URL:-

"Quantum teleportation depends on entanglement, one of the strangest of the many strange aspects of quantum mechanics. Two particles can become “entangled” into a single entity, and a change in one instantaneously changes the other even if it is far away."

A friend of mine, who is a qualified physicist as well as a long-term Tarot reader and a mystic (and the fellow I gave the second copy of the Quantum to), has been talking about this for seventeen years to my sure'n'certain knowledge, probably a lot longer. (Yeah yeah, I've tried to drag him here - he's unaccountably resistant, unless, I suddenly realise, he's had previous exposure to my message-writing skills and my dogmatism before).

His contention, taken from the work of early quantum mechanics, is that the universe is "enfolded" but we can't see it because we are folded up in it as well. Consequently, bits of it that should be well separated are brought into close touching contact, rather like a large tablecloth that has been folded up. He further asserts, along with other physicists that he quoted and whose names elude me now, that it is extremely possible that quantum concepts are incomplete and string theory is totally wrong, and that there is a level of smallness below the quanta, and fundamental bits smaller than quarks etc, and that they break all relativistic rules by travelling faster than light, and in fact there is only ONE of them, travelling so mind-bogglingly fast that it effectively manages to be everywhere just about simultaneously, building up the building-blocks that build up the sub-atomic particles that make up every atom in the universe. This could account for telepathy and distance-knowing, he figures, because if he is made up entirely of that one building-block, and so am I, and so is a piece of intergalactic bacteria that needs a methane-ammonium base to live in rather than our protein-water-oxygen base, then all these things have at least some level of access to the same knowledge-base. Which would have to be universal, in fact, akashic in its scope.

(Things are bad when my post makes my *own* brain bleed!)

KarlThomas

That actually makes complete sense to me, particles diminishing to the utimate racing whizzing one. I love it! I think it may take a few rounds for me to wrap my had around an enfolded universe, but I'm not against it, per se.

I want 10-22 books wortk of know-how infused, like Trinity in the Matrix, getting the helicopter flying download.

I'm enjoying your 25 things. Who knew you were an ex camel wrangler?

nisaba

KarlThomas said:
That actually makes complete sense to me, particles diminishing to the utimate racing whizzing one. I love it! I think it may take a few rounds for me to wrap my had around an enfolded universe, but I'm not against it, per se.

I want 10-22 books wortk of know-how infused, like Trinity in the Matrix, getting the helicopter flying download.
<smile> It made a lot of sense to me. Or at least, it made many things that do not make sense, make slightly less non-sense.

KarlThomas said:
I'm enjoying your 25 things. Who knew you were an ex camel wrangler?
<grin> Try it, you'll love it. Pull 25 cards at a time, and as each comes out, relate it to your life. That was a significant day for me when I did that.