日本神話(Nihonshinwa)- Japanese tarot deck

daenys

I'll certainly try! I'll probably get the cards in hand around this time next week. I could finish translations and brief explanations over that weekend, if you don't mind the wait ^_^

The deck is very much based in the earliest mythology, so it doesn't deal with Edo Period youkai, or anything (which are also really fascinating). These cards would have the creative gods and goddesses (or beings).. I reckon Izanagi and Izanami will make an appearance. Also, I'll be sorely disappointed is Amaterasu isn't the Sun! XD

Great, I look forward to it. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the information, madhatter00o!
I've been interested in Japanese mythology for a while now- this might just be the push I need to actually start reading up on it, hahah.

(whispers) Doo eeeet

Arimaya

Hhhhh, the Death Card in the Bluebird tarot. I love it. I may have to get that one at some point, too...

*groan* I knoooow. I just kept looking and lusting, and then I talked to the artist on facebook and he was eeeever so nice.

He seems to want to make a full deck "someday" but he seems to be out promoting just the majors and doing quite well so I just had to go ahead! *cough*the U.S. - Japanese exchange rate is pretty favorable atm *cough*

I also have wanty feelings for the Lorland Chen deck, Peace Tarot by Misuzi Itateyama, and Miracle Tarot by Reiko Shimitsu

This mythology deck has the same soft art style I enjoy and I have to stay away from baby_dream's ebay store because she usually has one >.>

madhatter00o

Translations and Annotations to the Japanese Myth Tarot

Hi, everyone!

I just wanted to give you an update, since I promised to present explanations into the mythologies of the figures depicted on the cards.

I got my deck this afternoon. It's an absolutely gorgeous deck; both the obverse and reverse images are lovely! In fact, the image on the back of these cards is probably my favourite of all time. It really adds to the mysterious and otherwordly feeling of the deck. Also, the cards are printed on wonderfully study stock.

Anyways, I *have* begun the translation and annotations of the explanation booklet that accompanies the deck. (It's printed on a thick sheet of paper, cleanly folded, and inserted into the box.) Because it's more or less a LWB, the translations are yielding only some - and (to me) not enough - insight into the gods, goddesses, and entities themselves. So! I'm also annotating my translations, which means researching the figures and noting the relevant stories and/or symbols, objects, etc.

While I'm working at what I think is a pretty decent pace, I'm still not yet very far into the deck. Out of the 23 Majors (remember, there's the extra card for the Creation of Heaven and Earth), I'm only on 5, the Hierophant. I know I said I would try to finish the project by the end of this weekend, but I don't think that's realistic now that I have the cards in hand. (Please keep in mind that the explanation booklet and the research I'm doing for the annotations are all in Japanese and that translating everything into decent-sounding English does take time. :p )

I will be working on the project throughout the week (in fact, I'm using the Japanese Myth Tarot for my Deck of the Week here on AT!), and I will make available my research as soon as I've finished. So, please be patient ^_^

Cheers!

~Hatter

Lareia

Oh wow, I never expected you to add annotations too! Thank you so much!
Please take your time- I imagine it would take a while to compile the necessary information on Japanese mythology alone, and then a Japanese to English translation too? It would have been incredibly quick if you'd finished it by tomorrow. :D

himemiko

This deck is absolutely gorgeous! I'm going to have to invest in one one of these days. I don't know if you have or seen this deck, but this is one of the Japanese decks I own it's the Moon Princess Himiko deck. Another great deck out there that has very vibrant imagery.

Tanga

By mere accident, I stumbled across this deck. Here's the artist's page.

Does anyone know anything about it?...

Hi, everyone!
I just wanted to give you an update, since I promised to present explanations into the mythologies of the figures depicted on the cards.

I got my deck this afternoon. It's an absolutely gorgeous deck; both the obverse and reverse images are lovely! In fact, the image on the back of these cards is probably my favourite of all time. It really adds to the mysterious and otherwordly feeling of the deck. Also, the cards are printed on wonderfully study stock.

Anyways, I *have* begun the translation and annotations of the explanation booklet that accompanies the deck... I'm only on 5, the Hierophant.

I will be working on the project throughout the week (in fact, I'm using the Japanese Myth Tarot for my Deck of the Week here on AT!), and I will make available my research as soon as I've finished. So, please be patient ^_^
~Hatter

Thanks to Lareia for throwing this out (I like both of them - the blue bird as well... wish there was a closer picture of them).
And thanks to madhatter00o - for taking on the translation project because I was drooling over the images and thinking..."So...isn't there an English translation???".
I'll be eagerly awaiting your complete translation :thumbsup:.

I will be getting copies at some point - when I can figure out how - and what they actually cost plus shipping in GBP. Lol.

I love mythology of any sort.

Now to see if I can check out these decks Arimaya mentioned...

Tigerangel

Since this is the only post I can find that mentions the Bluebird tarot, I'll post here, I was sure I posted on a thread about the bluebird tarot but I can't seem to find it anywhere??, hopefully I will have the bluebird majors deck soon paying for it on Friday, said to the artist about considering using katana's for the sword minors, and he quite like that idea and said he would discuss it with his co creator when they/or if they do the minors, so fingers crossed he adds minors aswell.

madhatter00o

Since this is the only post I can find that mentions the Bluebird tarot, I'll post here, I was sure I posted on a thread about the bluebird tarot but I can't seem to find it anywhere??, hopefully I will have the bluebird majors deck soon paying for it on Friday, said to the artist about considering using katana's for the sword minors, and he quite like that idea and said he would discuss it with his co creator when they/or if they do the minors, so fingers crossed he adds minors aswell.

Having played around with the Bluebird Tarot, I wonder if katanas are the way to go as the Swords for the Minors. Though it's a Japanese deck, it has a very Western European feel to its depiction of the Majors. Katanas might clash with the imagery, but then, the artist is fantastic and likely could make it work seamlessly, especially if he did them as Marseilles-style pips, since the Swords of the Marseilles are curved... that would be awesome. ^_^

Long-Overdue Update on the Japanese Myth Tarot translation project:

I finished my translation of the LWB and annotations last week. It ended up around 16 pages, but the bullet formatting of MS.Word probably has something to do with that... >_>

Currently, I'm seeking the permission of the artist/creator to post the translations and annotations here. There is a bit of formality involved, and I am having to be very careful with how I compose emails, so it's taking some time. I hope to receive a final answer in the next week.

Should I not be allowed to post it here online, I'll see if I can privately send my translations and notes to interested individuals.

daenys

16 pages! That's amazing. Any word, madhatter?

madhatter00o

Yes!

16 pages! That's amazing. Any word, madhatter?

I just got the final word from the illustrator and publisher of the deck.

I can freely post my translation and annotations of the Japanese Myth Tarot (日本神話タロット) here on AT! I'm so happy and relieved!

I'll be arranging to have the file uploaded here as a PDF, as I can't do it myself. (I promise, I'll become a subscribing member as soon as I have some extra money one of these months!)

Thank you all for your patience and support through this project. I hope you will find the notes helpful!

Cheers!

~Hatter