$25,000 Tarot of Marseilles for sale

Ruby7

gregory said:
Art isn't the same as embroidery(OK tapestry makers, now hit me - but you know what I mean - this deck isn't original; it is like sewing from a pattern ! Lots of work, but - well, big deal.....)

Yes, in this case no it is not art, but there are embroidery artists who create their own designs and patterns and in that case it is art.

baba-prague

And just think how hard it's going to be to shuffle it!

It's quite something in one way, but I'm not sure that it appeals to me all that much. It reminds me though that I once threatened to crochet a Magician card :)

Nevermore

Madness!
Although after you bought it it might be a little stronger than your average quilted paper napkin...
It's nice looking in my opinion, just the ridiculous price and the fact that you probably can't really shuffle them and the fact that the art is not original puts me off.

gregory

Papageno said:
actually it's not unique at all.

there's the Ingerid Blakstad Tarot and the Tapestry Tarot which are original concepts and far more interesting.

this seller just has a lotta nerve LOL
To be fair - those two are on cards. This one is actual embroidered pieces.

Papageno

gregory said:
To be fair - those two are on cards. This one is actual embroidered pieces.

yes, that's true, however, I still agree with your original post about the stenciled pattern.......and how do we know for certain most of the work wasn't run off on a sewing machine......either way $25K is ridiculous.

If a person really wanted to spend $25K they could own a couple of authentic period decks (complete no cards missing ) or.....they could hire a talented young artist from any number of art/design schools to custom design a magnificent hand crafted deck just for you.....

and I just noticed the seller has the nerve to charge for shipping LOL!!!

Lewen

Wow, as a cross stitcher, even I wouldn't pay that much. (I design my own designs as well as enjoy other designers to stitch from!)

For someone to use that much DMC floss, to use probably an evenweave, and to have the patience of Job to stitch all that...after going through all that trouble...I would have just kept it. As a matter of fact, I am hoping to design my own cross stitch deck "one of these days" that just inspired me to put it on my "to do list" which is quite long! LOL!!!

It is pretty for what it is, though.

OnePotato

I think it's marvelous, and I applaud her audacity in creating it.

In this case, the art is in the making.
Is it really so different from the many "re-drawn" TdM decks out there?
Are they not "art" either?

I doubt if she will ever get her price, but that's ok.
She made the thing anyway.
Bravo!

AJ

There is a Canadian lady on Ebay who has all the Original RW designs charted and occasionally lists the charts to purchase. She has stitched the entire deck, said it took her forever.
I would think these would be stunning framed. But the value of finished cross stitch pieces is minimal. What they look like on the back for instance. Cross stitch has a plain border, it either needs to be framed, tucked to the underside of a stool, or folded back which would make these very thick indeed. Maybe someone will ask to see a back image, funny they didn't post one.
Or looking closer at the photos included, apparently he/she did each card and back as a set and the folded under part is sandwiched between back and front. Double thick! Wow.

I don't read French, but I don't see anything that looks like a size, is there one given?

gregory

OnePotato said:
I think it's marvelous, and I applaud her audacity in creating it.

In this case, the art is in the making.
Is it really so different from the many "re-drawn" TdM decks out there?
Are they not "art" either?
My comment referred to comparisons between this, Blakstad's deck and the Tapestry deck - the latter two are totally original.

I think making it was amazing, yes - but as an ORIGINAL work of art - it isn't one in the same way as they are. It doesn't redraw the cards as new TdMs do, either.

As a deck - no; as AJ says - you might like to have a few cards to frame, but.... So I don't see that it holds up that wall as a single item. She may well have got the full price if she'd sold each card separately. I might even have gone for Death myself :D

baba-prague

Well, this is perhaps the time to mention that I've been working (over the internet) with a wonderful lady who is converting some of the Bohemian Cats cards (NOT all 78!) into cross-stitch patterns. She has done a brilliant job on The Moon - complete with embellishments - and is now working on The Tarot reader (which reminds me that I owe her an email).

We will NOT be putting cards on ebay - but eventually maybe we will sell the patterns. But I defy anyone to get through more than half a dozen :)