The Good Tarot by Colette Baron-Reid

Achlys

I was interested until I read there's no "negative" cards...positive-only affirmation decks are not to my taste and don't do too well in readings for me...I think I'm going to pass on this one.

gregory

I was interested until I read there's no "negative" cards...positive-only affirmation decks are not to my taste and don't do too well in readings for me...I think I'm going to pass on this one.
Mine is on the way - but this puts me off too.

Madrigal

Truth in the Story did a youtube unboxing if you're interested in seeing the whole deck. Def not for moi.

Booklioness

DarkStar posted a full flip through on YouTube, so you get to see all the cards. While there are no negatives, I am still intrigued. I look at it the same way I view "Dreams of Gaia"; it is a completely different kind of deck, but am very glad I purchased it.

gregory

That's disappointing. Lovers card does indeed look too much like Strength. Lovers card is my go-to in any deck, to decide if I want to purchase it or not. This kind of ruined it for me. :(
I just got the deck. Lovers and Strength both show a woman and a lion and are VERY different cards. It works. And Love is NOT bestiality oriented, it REALLY isn't.

I rather like the deck, though have a few reservations - not least the card stock - FAR too thick. I don't mind the extreme gloss. I could have lived without Transformation for Death, and Patience for Temperance, and as for Temptation fro Devil - I suppose it's what you have to expect from Hay House, though; I can't say I was surprised. "Call" for Judgement is interesting, though.

gregory

Got it. Hay House. Death - Transformation - why am I not surprised ?

On the plus side, I pre-ordered it and in between times it went down in price by £7. I always like that in a deck :D

The stock is too heavy. Some of the collage is dodgy - 7 of Fire, for instance, where there is no way the unicorn wouldn't have fallen off the rock, and the Page of Air's hair is - well, just no, not even on a bad hair day. Someone had issues with Love (=Lovers) but I think it's fine. It is absolutely NOT depicting bestiality.

But it is actually a lot better than I feared - though I really do HATE the thickness of the cards.

ETA no, now I am angry. She barely credits the artist at all :( The ONLY credit is in the booklet. "Interior illustrations by Jena DellaGrottaglia". The ONLY illustrations are - the cards. So Jena did the cards, I assume. Colette should SAY so, in BIG LETTERS. That's RUDE. I googled Jena's art and I'm sure I'm right here - not least because on HER site she mentions it. (and on her site those who have been asking can see more cards. )

https://www.autumnsgoddess.com/the-good-tarot

GlitterNova

Can anyone compare the stock of this deck to the Mary-El tarot in terms of thickness and gloss? That's become my benchmark

gregory

Gloss - just as glossy. Thickness - doesn't FEEL as thick card by card - but the deck as a whole feels heavy, thick and unshuffleable. Card size - smaller - which MAY be why it FEELS so thick anyway. Rigidity - more so I think, though others may differ.

rwcarter

Moderator Note

To avoid confusion, I have merged two active threads about this deck together.

Scarlet Woodland

I ordered this yesterday after extensive dithering, as I now have a specific purpose in mind.

The positive affirmation thing isn't a problem for me as I'm apt to lean negative anywhere it's possible :D. It's more of a concern when the positive cards aren't demonstrably positive.

Am fine with the name changes, except for Temperance to Patience which doesn't make sense to me. Aside from being a rather odd choice of word, surely Temperance would have worked perfectly within this deck anyway. If it's a question of unfamiliar vocabulary, then moderation or balance would make more sense to me <shrugs>. I probably won't see the title after a few uses anyway.

I think the artwork is lovely and I very much appreciate HH's production value/price ratio. Am hoping the combination of this deck and one of my tough love, kick up the rear decks will help get me unstuck from the mud.