Top Ten essential tarot titles

sapienza

I know DuQuette's book is Thoth specific, but the first part of the book is really an excellent background for anyone working with any Golden Dawn style deck.....IMO :)

Greg Stanton

The Tarot: History, Symbolism & Divination by Robert Place
Mystical Origins of the Tarot by Paul Huson
A Wicked Pack of Cards by Dummett et al
History of the Occult Tarot by Dummett et al
Tarot Wisdom by Rachael Pollack
The Authentic Tarot by Thomas Saunders
A True Guide to the Marseilles Tarot by Lee Bursten
Best Tarot Practices by Marcia Masino
Tarot Tells the Tale by James Ricklef
Absolute Beginner's Guide to the Tarot by Marc McEllroy

Two other books, which I like because they are equally interesting and absurd, are Tarot Symbolism by Robert O'Neill and Meditations on the Tarot by Anonymous.

Also, for the Crowley/Qabalah crowd, I think nothing explains the Thoth deck and Qabalah better than Alan Moore's Promethea.

conversus

For what it is worth I'd second the vote for :
The Tarot : History, Symbolism, and Divination by Robert Place
The Mystical Origins of the Tarot by Paul Huson

But I would like to add, forgive me, The Tarot Revealed : A Modern Guide to Reading the Tarot Cards by Eden Grey. It may be dated, whatever that means, narrow, RWS focused, etc. but it is totally clear hearted from page 1 to 120. Few Tarot works can even begin to make that claim IMHO.

You should also have a ready copy of Meditations on the Tarot : A Journey into Christian Hermeticism by some anonymous dude that everyone seems to know anyway! Not such an easy read as the others mentioned so far, but worth the effort.

Don't forget Lee Bursten's companion book to the Universal Marseilles. Short, concise, informative, encouraging.

I look forward to hearing about others!!!

CED

ETA: See what can happen while one is typing!!!
Cheers!

lark

3 of Cups said:
I have always received good insight from "Tarot: Your Everyday Guide" by Janina Renee. Her approach is on "practical problem solving and advice." Since I often read my own cards this focus is very useful. Many other guides are geared more to reading for others and provide some advice, but not in the depth that Renee does. (Of course, this could be handy when reading for others, as well!) I find her perspective very enlightening.
I really like this one too..it is great for daily spread work..the advice is so practical and down to earth...daily readings tend to be very subtle, and this book really caters to that.
1. Tarot: your Everyday Guide
2. Robin Wood Companion Book
3. Printed book from Greenwood site
4. Tarot Reversals...Greer
5. 78 Degrees & Tarot Wisdom
6. Reading the Tarot...Leo Martello
7. Collins Gem Tarot..Rowenna Stuart....pocket book
8. Pocket Guide to Tarot...Alan Oken
9. The Mystical Tarot...Rosemary Guiley
10. A Magical Course in Tarot...Michele Morgan

sapienza

Greg Stanton said:
A True Guide to the Marseilles Tarot by Lee Bursten
Is this the companion book to the Universal Marseille? Can you buy it on it's own?

I also have Tarot Symbolism by Robert O'Neill, it's next on my pile of books to read :)

Greg Stanton

sapienza said:
Is this the companion book to the Universal Marseille? Can you buy it on it's own?
Yes, it's packaged with the Universal Marseilles. I didn't much care for the deck, so I gave it to a friend, but selfishly kept the book for myself. :) One of the best essays on reading from a Marseilles deck, ever.

Do check out The Authentic Tarot though. Very helpful for reading Marseilles as well.

thorhammer

I'd really like to recommend Tarot and the Magus, by Paul Hughes-Barlow of the site Supertarot. Yes, it is based on the Thoth deck, but IMO uses the tarot in any form to bring the reader (of both cards and book) beyond their understanding of the cards as separate from the mind. It seems to have the trick of internalising the concepts encrypted in the cards, and ties the Minors to the Courts and Majors in an inspiring, innovative way that encourages the seeker's mind to explore different ways of playing with the cards and their interactions.

My copy smells of cat pee, though :( which makes it a chore and hideously unpleasant to read *sob*

\m/ Kat

sapienza

Greg Stanton said:
Yes, it's packaged with the Universal Marseilles. I didn't much care for the deck, so I gave it to a friend, but selfishly kept the book for myself. :) One of the best essays on reading from a Marseilles deck, ever.

Do check out The Authentic Tarot though. Very helpful for reading Marseilles as well.

Thanks so much Greg :) Just one other questions...are these two books Marseille specific, or would they apply equally as well to other historic decks?

Greg Stanton

They are specific to Marseilles-style decks, but you can certainly use them with the Visconti decks as well.

sapienza

Thanks, I use the Ancient Italian so thought I'd just check :)