DruidCraft Lovers

coyoteblack

Hello all

The DruidCraft is a little different then most other lovers cards. In the stone faceing us is a greenman with water spouting out of his mouth and on the other side of the cliff face is a snake entwined around an egg and a quater moon next to the sun in full radiance.

There is a faun /pan almost passed out on top of a woman both are nude. They are in a forrest in a little cove with a hind watching them.

Normally the lovers cards show a choice between 2 woman In this case he they made there choice and look pretty happy.

Instead of makeing a choice between 2 woman they surrendered to each other by choice and the combination of 2 people surrendering to each other is divine escacy.

Instead of mundane lookig people there is the " supernatural" I think this is to show this is ot only 2 people but also alchemical love the great rite.

I take the hind to reprsent the great spirit kind of saying she/he is ok with this all of this is wonderfull.

Bat Chicken

coyoteblack said:
The DruidCraft is a little different then most other lovers cards. In the stone faceing us is a greenman with water spouting out of his mouth and on the other side of the cliff face is a snake entwined around an egg and a quater moon next to the sun in full radiance.

There is a faun /pan almost passed out on top of a woman both are nude. They are in a forrest in a little cove with a hind watching them.

Normally the lovers cards show a choice between 2 woman In this case he they made there choice and look pretty happy.

Instead of makeing a choice between 2 woman they surrendered to each other by choice and the combination of 2 people surrendering to each other is divine escacy.

Instead of mundane lookig people there is the " supernatural" I think this is to show this is ot only 2 people but also alchemical love the great rite.

I take the hind to reprsent the great spirit kind of saying she/he is ok with this all of this is wonderfull.
Interesting take on this card, coyoteblack. It got me to spend some time with it.... I had a couple thoughts and reactions to your ideas.

There is definitely both choice and surrender here, as you stated. The choice to surrender. The two are definitely supernatural. The book even states that they are the goddess and the god come together for Beltane - and that the symbol of the sun/moon is the goddess consuming the god... There is the sense of the Otherworld being opened - and it is clearly represented by the Hind who represent 'subtlety and elegance' according to the Druid Animal Oracle.

It makes me wonder about the connections between Druidry and the Greeks - which were thought to have had a great deal of contact - and the alchemical symbols - and hence the alchemical love right of the male and female principle. The symbols on this card feel very alchemical for a Druid deck. The image seems to carry forward the RWS idea of the Garden of Eden as well. I guess culture is not so easy to cleave 2000 years later....

coyoteblack

Wow good stuff Batchicken

This card reminds me a lot of temperance only this is the point before s/he pours.

I thin the Druid and greeks were pretty close some said the greeks learned numbers from the druids and who knew who tought who as celts never wrote down there history.

There is a lot of alchamy here but it also pops up for the fferyllt and to a a lsser degree in death.

This card is about choice but instead of decideing what/who to choose the decision has been made and the choice was to surrender ones own ego for the greater good( I cant seem to word it correctly how I feel)

Bat Chicken

I get it - well said!
The book also connects the image of the Lovers to the Cernunnos (Devil) card. To me that card would be taking the ego loss you suggested too far, and getting caught up in the Otherworld to the exclusion of the needs of the body and therefore a loss of balance. The Lovers are asleep - dreaming.

Just a thought...

coyoteblack

nice thought Batchicken!!

This is the only deck have bothered to really break down to its nuts and bolts( it is the deck i am useing for 78 weeks) it seems the best way to learn any card is to contrast it to other cards.

so maybe the lovers is like the lady in 2 of swords if she chooses one path she gets fferyllt if she chooses another she gets cernonous?

I am remined with this deck every time a card looks mundane it is really, really deep and I am not looking hard enough.

PS I feel obligated to thank you for this discussion

Fostha

coyoteblack said:
This card is about choice but instead of decideing what/who to choose the decision has been made and the choice was to surrender ones own ego for the greater good( I cant seem to word it correctly how I feel)

Of all my decks,this is probably my favourite lovers card,as you suggest,the choice has been made,and just the look on her face,and the way shes draped her arms around him,almost as if shes still inhaling his scent,its an image (I think) of someone looking happy from the inside out,a choice that really was the right one.

coyoteblack

I love take on this Fostha I have not been back here in a long time and you post reminded me to look again.

The background scenery of this deck connect a lot with other cards and some times there is meaning there. cernunnos and this have similar surroundings.

To surrender to the emotion of love is pretty deep and spiritual but can also lead to the devil card and lust.

Fostha

coyoteblack said:
I love take on this Fostha I have not been back here in a long time and you post reminded me to look again.

The background scenery of this deck connect a lot with other cards and some times there is meaning there. cernunnos and this have similar surroundings.

To surrender to the emotion of love is pretty deep and spiritual but can also lead to the devil card and lust.

Oh I'm sure it can,but just look at her face,I can almost hear her saying "f**k it all,nothing makes me feel as good as him". I'm sure at some point in life we've all had those moments when you just know that the choice you've made was right for you,and it doesn't necesarily mean you have to have another person lying on top of you like that. Think of the first time you walk into THAT house when your looking to buy,something inside just says to you,yep thats what I want,you know its right for you,because of all the different feelings its presence alone can evoke in you,and it doesn't speak aloud,its just bricks and mortar,but you know its something you'd pour all your love/time/devotion into,because its the one that you want,and ,makes you feel the way it does.Of all my decks thats definitely my fave lovers image.