Creating a tarot book?

SherryZoned

I hope to have my tarot book first draft done in 2 months or less..No this is not a how to read tarot book..it is non fiction..but not like any book out there.. lol I wont go into details at the moment..anyway..what kind of publisher do i look for?

(those i have told about..shhhhhh...its a secret LOL)

HudsonGray

Best thing I can suggest is to go to Barnes & Noble book store OR the library (reference section) and find a book called Writers Market 2002 (or 2003 if the new one is out now). Check their categories & see what New Age/Occult selections there are. That should list who to contact, what they're looking for, etc.

Then go to the section on metaphysical and see who's been publishing the books that are on the shelves there. That'll give you a good idea as to what size the publishers want in regards to page count, what themes, styles, etc.

I think you can get a pretty good idea from that. The Writers Market books are very good, even listing smaller publishers. They won't have 100% of the publishers in them, but they do have the major ones for sure.

Good luck, I know writing is hard work (done some short stories myself, but only published in fanzines).

Sea Sprite

Yay!! :)

Simon & Schuster; Llewellyn Publications; Samuel Weiser Inc.

truthsayer

i like reading magazines for writers. i also explore sites for ppl with whatever interests that i'm writing about whether fiction or nonfiction. i know you read a lot and that's important. you can't live in a box and expect to be successful. the more exploration you do the better. you might want to practice your tarot expertise by writing tarot reviews. just get yourself out there.

joan bunning's book "learn the tarot" was a free online course before she had it published. i was a member of ninalee braden's self discovery on line classes before she became published. i knew before her book ever came out something about her unique ideas and knew i would buy her book if it came out. i think the fact she had such a following on the internet plus she made contacts with ppl already publishing about tarot helped her get her book published. she's prolific writer and does a lot of articles for her site "moonstruck". she has really paid her dues. since she is someone who has so to speak "made it", you might want to get ideas about things you can do by studying her site and other tarot webrings.

good luck!

cjtarot

YEHHHH

YEH,

I'M SO PROUD OF YOU....

I WANT TO ORDER A SIGNED COPY PLEASE..

KEEP US INFORMED ON YOUR PROGRESS..

BEST WISHES AND BLESSINGS

CJ

SherryZoned

Thanks...So should I put mys tuff up on a website..get a following before i try to publish...what about copyright issues??

Keslynn

Please check before you go with my advice, but I'm pretty sure that anything you put up on the web is copyright to you. Just make sure, if you do decide to put up a webpage, that you put a copyright notice at the bottom of each page. I've seen that quite a bit.

:) Kes (interested in seeing samples ;))

SherryZoned

Thanks Kesylynn!!

SherryZoned

If i put up a website..what is the best site thing to go to..minimum of annoying pop ups! thanks all!

truthsayer

redwood,
i'm not sure where to advise you to go yet but there are some web pages that are free if you tolerate advertizing. other places are free of advertizing for a monthly fee. last i heard geocities was $10 a month. netscape was free when i had a site there but they had some changes and closed my site. you might want to try there. sometimes your isp will offer websites. i'm working on new webpages now but haven't found a home for them yet. i'll update you when i find a spot but i think there has to be hundreds if not thousands of websites to be had out there .

btw i think kes advice about copyright is correct but be sure to make clear on the site that everything is copyrighted to you. this won't stop the dishonest folks from stealing from you though. there has to be info you can gain from a web search about copy right laws.