Astral correspondences

NatKat

...But I get what she means. There is a higher intelligence interwoven with the matrix of the tarot, and it is willing to be contacted, that's for sure. And, it is a teacher.

This is an interesting idea! How do you do it?

I am not sure what Dion Fortune meant by Astral Correspondences ... I have memorized quite a bit of astrological, symbolical, and elemental data with regard to the tarot. Many people say you must know Kabbala to work with Tarot but this is not true in my case ... I have little interest in it yet manage to deliver accurate readings all the same.

I never tried to contact the "spirit" or "intelligence" of a particular deck ... it is a fascinating idea ... which now I think I should give it a try! Perhaps that is why I stayed religiously with RWS & Thoth exclusively for so many years ... there is a depth to those 2 decks which many later decks lack ... maybe on some level I felt the "intelligence" of those decks without naming it as such. Curious to hear if you have a method. ???

Babalon Jones

This is an interesting idea! How do you do it?

I am not sure what Dion Fortune meant by Astral Correspondences ... I have memorized quite a bit of astrological, symbolical, and elemental data with regard to the tarot. Many people say you must know Kabbala to work with Tarot but this is not true in my case ... I have little interest in it yet manage to deliver accurate readings all the same.

I never tried to contact the "spirit" or "intelligence" of a particular deck ... it is a fascinating idea ... which now I think I should give it a try! Perhaps that is why I stayed religiously with RWS & Thoth exclusively for so many years ... there is a depth to those 2 decks which many later decks lack ... maybe on some level I felt the "intelligence" of those decks without naming it as such. Curious to hear if you have a method. ???

Well, you had to ask! I will tell you but it is such a nebulous and subtle thing, hard for me to put into words. It probably won't make sense, and each person may have their own way. It isn't like there is a magic word or a lamp that brings up the genie :)

And I think the Thoth and RWS are so potent because they are connected directly to these correspondences, and the intelligence, with understanding.

So sit quietly without distraction some time, eyes open. (Hard to do in front of a screen unless you get good at it or are naturally nebulous. But once you know the feeling you can do it while reading a screen, or a book, or even while having a conversation - though you will come across as distracted!) Now imagine your eyeballs are reversed in your head so they are looking inward, not outward. How does that feel? This is a starting point just to get the feeling. Maybe it is not right. Imagine that there is a small door in the very center of your brain, and if you go through it, it opens up to an infinite space. How does that feel? Feeling something in the heart area simultaneously is a good sign but not maybe always noticable. (it feels like joy and sorrow at the same time for me) Once you can be comfortable in this inner space, like you are inside your head but not looking out, think about the structures of tarot, the correspondences you know. Maybe you will be thinking about a certain card and the elemental, zodiacal, qabalistic, and other concepts that surround it. Or maybe you are thinking about a group of cards that are related. That maybe does not matter. What matters is you know the right correspondences, the structure or framework to think about and that you keep thinking, following neural paths that open up, kind of surfing around in that inner space. If you do this enough, and it takes a lot of time without expectations, perhaps it finds you instead of you finding it. YMMV, but for me it does not show up with wings and introduce itself as HRU! It shows up by presenting concepts and connections and inspirations, like someone came into that space and turned on the light. Or steering you down a path one stepping stone of thought at a time, kind of showing you the way. Or presenting something that you recognize as universal but that feel like someone handed you a surprise gift.
Once you have contacted this intelligence in this way, I think it can be part of you, or present for readings if you request it.

Farzon

I recently came upon this quote in Dion Fortune's 'the mystical qabalah':

'..it is of little use to go into a shop and buy a pack of tarot cards unless there is the knowledge necessary to build up the astral correspondences to each card.'

It the went on to say that 'when the great angel of the tarot has been contacted, the cards are remarkably revealing.'

I was hoping people might share how the quotes fit with their experiences of tarot?
Fiddlesticks!

At least in my opinion. Buying a pack of cards can very well be the first step to learn more about astrology or Kaballah. But I think these systems were brought to the Tarot after it was designed and it is very open to different spiritual systems or beliefs. It works with or without any of them. Using a certain system can enhance your readings though.

NatKat

Well, you had to ask! I will tell you but it is such a nebulous and subtle thing, hard for me to put into words. ... snip snip

And I think the Thoth and RWS are so potent because they are connected directly to these correspondences, and the intelligence, with understanding.

So sit quietly without distraction some time, eyes open. ... Now imagine your eyeballs are reversed in your head so they are looking inward, not outward. How does that feel? This is a starting point just to get the feeling. ... <snippages>.

LOVE the eyeballs opened inward thing. Will try it when I am NOT at a computer };>.
Also I think I have to experiment with eyes open and cards in front of me ... or eyes closed. We'll see ...