What encourages you to reply or not reply to a reading?

Meditarot

I always enjoy getting feedback and comments to my readings, because it helps me become a better reader. I can see different viewing angles to a card and see better its context to the other cards in the reading. It also helps me see if I'm heading to a completely wrong track in my intepretation.

I had done a reading not too long ago, and it had received quite an amount of views, almost half a hundred. The only thing that was missing was the replies from others. Then I noticed another reading which had 6 views and it had already gotten a reply.

This made me think, what makes people who would originally easily reply to a reading, not encourage them to do so?

I know I have a habit of creating perhaps a bit too long reading threads (I've tried to make it more easy to read by separating the cards and their interpretations more clearly). Could it be that my threads are too long and people lose interest? Or that I've already taken an in depth look to the cards and people have nothing to add?

This is something that troubles me..

gregory

I don't think this is the right place for this question (Talking Tarot, probably) - but for me there are quite a few things I think about.

I won't generally respond to health, legal or third party ("what does he think of me" readings. Yes/no ones don't grab my attention, as I don't think tarot is the right place to ask them. And - let's face it - will he come back to me/how can I make him come back to me/why hasn't he texted me ones - they are so samey.

But one big one is - the same person asking the same question over and over, hoping to get the answer they want; turning the question around to try and get that, and so on - and being in total denial when other posters disagree. There are individuals who do that and I avoid their threads like the plague. And quite often you can see from the preamble that that's what's coming, and so - no.

knight_sephiroth

I respond if I believe I have something useful to contribute, or if the reading clicks with me and I've gotten a sense of clarity from it that might resonate with the original reader. The only reason I don't respond (if I've read the thread) is if I don't think my insight will be helpful or useful to the poster.

I don't avoid threads based on any value judgments of question style or type, or on question frequency. If insight resonates with me, I respond. I make no qualifying determinations about a question's worth or redundancy. I try to be welcoming and neutral in all cases.

In fact, I'm one of the rare few that does not mind people asking the same quesitons, as the answers are most often congruent, or they reflect the fluid and changing nature of life and therefore *do* change as they should. Things change and multiple readings on the same vein can reveal a lot about the language of your cards and your perceptions as the situation unfolds.

Kat Moon

I actually like really long reads! So that would make me want to come and sit, not deter me.

Personally I don't sit a whole whole lot for a few reasons (none of which have anything to do with the reader asking for sitters):
1- I don't have a whole lot to ask, so I prefer doing the readings.
and
2- I am worried that the question back is something that I don't want to read on. Not to sound stuck up (as I have been called) but there are topics I just don't read on. (Gregory's message is pretty much word for word what I read and not read on)
last
3- If there is a time constraint then I don't sit. So if someone says doing readings, must give feedback and exchange in an hour then I pass. Life is busy the pressure of the time to give an in depth reading gets to me. Silly I know, but some times it takes a day or two to get back and I don't want to break the readers rules.

Did that help?

Tanga

I reply if I have something to contribute and the reading catches my fancy at the time... or challenges me to think 'now how would I answer that?..."
Plus - it depends on my energy level. Sometimes - I just don't have the energy to trawl through everything and then reply.
Like gregory, I'm not partial to 3rd party or yes/no questions. But on occasion I will answer those too.

I tend to be quite concise myself and find I get twitchy if the interpretation has a huge amount of the description of the card before the actual interpretation arrives. Plus if the interpretation is 4 paragraphs long - when it could all be said in 4 lines. :)

gregory

Actually - I thought I'd see if I could see any reason that you'd not got responses, and maybe to respond myself - and yes, I can, on the most recent one.

I couldn't cope. Not the length; but you've gone back and added extra comments about what you have since read (which isn't actually part of the reading; that's more sort of "using tarot cards" discussion, IMHO).

If you had left it with just that first post, it would have been more likely that I'd have responded. But the other two posts just confused me. I like to look at the cards someone has drawn and interpret them as I see them, the end. Not what you have just read after doing the reading.

If that is any help at all - and others will probably disagree anyway. But you did ask if it was your threads being a problem - and for me, yes it is. Sorry to be blunt.

Zephyros

AT is a very old community and some people have been here for years and years. Many questions such as readings or more specific questions such as those in Using Tarot Cards have been asked many times. Every person and situation are special and different, of course, but now I've reached a point that I post in threads and answer questions that really interest me. Not to imply I'm jaded, I wouldn't keep coming back here if I was, but I know the community will answer, and answer well, so I usually don't feel obligated.

Also, keep in mind that every forum is very different with different crowds, customs and atmospheres. There are some forums I never frequent and if I do happen to wander into them I'm met with a plethora of names and people I don't know or have never posted in the same threads as them. Every forum has its regulars (with occasional visitors) so the people most likely to answer reading threads are those, not the entire community. It boggles the mind how huge and diverse AT is. There are deep corners of this place I've never ventured into, even after twelve years. :bugeyed:

Amanda

What encourages me to reply to a reading thread:
• Neatness, organization, and execution/control. I need to be able to read and understand a post and I do not have the patience for reading through a wall of text with no paragraph breaks. A brief background on the situation and interpretations that are not extensively lengthy attract my attention as well. Additionally, if you drop a card and don’t know whether or not to interpret it, then I don’t know whether or not to interpret it.

• Questions are numbered within a spread and the cards are distinctly apparent, and usually it is 10 cards or less. If there is no spread, I prefer reading 3 or 5 cards laid in a straight line in answer to a question.

• The name of the deck is mentioned and whether or not reversals were used, or pictures are provided (without stretching the thread) if it’s a deck with images not easily found on the internet. If I don’t like the style of the deck, I may not read on the question, but that’s a rare mood.

• I may offer interpretations to someone that has given me good feedback on interpretations I have given them before; additionally, I’m more inclined to interpret for someone that is clearly making progress with the help they are provided, not just by me but others as well.

• When people message me specifically and ask me to take a look at their thread; the rest of these things may go out the window, or I may offer suggestions on how to make the reading more neat and organized, or better suited for the particular inquiry.​

What discourages me from replying to a reading thread:
• Poor organization, neatness, or execution of a reading.

• Poor feedback in the past, to me or others.

• Serial questioners, because it’s apparent they are not taking the time to let information rest within them.

• New people with simple curiosity; it’s like they’re learning to drive a car for the first time and more fascinated with pushing all the buttons instead of driving. It’s exciting and interesting, but I’m mostly past that myself and more interested in dealing with an issue or expanding upon the meaning of the cards.

• My current research project for class and paid readings have been taking precedence over the time I have to interpret readings on a voluntary basis here.​

danieljuk

I look for readings with fewer to no replies, especially a day or older. I tend to ignore longer readings than about 5 cards because I don't normally have the time for it but I sometimes do longer readings. I loathe doing other people's celtic cross spreads, not sure why! I have a list of people who have given me terrible to no feedback to my interpretations and don't reply to them again. I normally reply to a reading if I really feel I can add something to it, but the one's I reply to or not, it's never personal! just a snap decision at that moment! I often reply to readings that I haven't done myself and want to have a go at that topic or question! Recently though I had a go at interpreting a reading which I felt uncomfortable about at the time but wanted to have a go at. It came back to haunt me, so I would recommend leaving the threads you don't feel comfortable with!

I do think though if you haven't laid it out nicely, people will skip on by! they won't bother with a lump of text! :p

Tarotwolf

If you're refering to your "relationship" reading which I just looked up in your recent posts, then it should be obvious. You're not really looking for feedback, rather you are looking for confirmation that your specific interpretations are correct. You wish for the relationship to continue and are looking for confirmation of this. To me the cards scream - "She doesn't want anything to do with you anymore". People know that's not what you want to hear, so no one posts a reply. It seems as simple and brutal as that. If you would strictly read the cards and then ask for opinions concerning your interpretation, I think you would get more feedback (definately don't stop submitting posts, I enjoyed reading what you had to say.) Best of luck with your relationship.