Deck of the Week : Sign-up Thread: Week 236 : February 6 - February 12

Green Faerie

There's always the "cunning plan" aspect of the seven of swords to consider which can most definitely be a positive :D My Druidcraft tarot for one is usually talking about strategic planning and careful thought or analysis when it comes up for me... it often came up when I had an essay to write, or later on when I was plotting a tricky book chapter.

Rats are remarkably clever so maybe your fairy's rat is the one talking here :D

Oooh, I love this! Thank you so much! I honestly hadn't thought about that part of the card at all. A cunning plan and careful analysis; the rat speaking instead of the thieving fairies (as kind of an outside observer and adviser). And that would go well in certain ways with the Temperance card, as a cunning plan involves going slowly and in measured steps, not diving in recklessly. :)

JylliM

Oooh, I love this! Thank you so much! I honestly hadn't thought about that part of the card at all. A cunning plan and careful analysis; the rat speaking instead of the thieving fairies (as kind of an outside observer and adviser). And that would go well in certain ways with the Temperance card, as a cunning plan involves going slowly and in measured steps, not diving in recklessly. :)

I tend to see Seven of Swords as subtle thinking, as in lateral thinking, acting on spontaneous ideas, humour, 'cunning plans', etc. They're all positive interpretations. In its negative aspect, this sort of thought can mean deceit and dishonesty.

DaughterOfDanu

IMHO, animals have a unique and subtle way of communicating their messages, completely different from human figures. Maybe you could use a second deck for comparison with your Mystical Cats. Do a reading with the Cats, then draw the same cards from a "human" deck so you can compare and contrast the meanings you get from them.

That's a really good idea. I just got the Fenestra Tarot in and can use it to compare. :D I'll let you know how it goes. I finally am getting time to work with my cards more than just my daily draws. Feels good to get to actually play and explore with them for a change.

Scarlet Woodland

You're very welcome :) A lot of decks seem to shut out that side of the card somewhat (in the imagery) which is a shame. I adore the Druidcraft version but then it's perhaps a little far the other way... designing a tarot deck is HARD :D

I finally am getting time to work with my cards more than just my daily draws. Feels good to get to actually play and explore with them for a change.

I'm actually having some tarot downtime today as I got a bit carried away with the Cosmos yesterday... the poor fella's all tuckered out :D

Just a little three card draw with the Archeon tonight I think.

bonebeach

My love affair with the Zirkus continues. Today's daily draw seemed ridiculous in the morning, and then proceeded to be one of the most accurate predictive readings I've done EVER.

I guess I should go hang out in the readings thread?

Green Faerie

I tend to see Seven of Swords as subtle thinking, as in lateral thinking, acting on spontaneous ideas, humour, 'cunning plans', etc. They're all positive interpretations. In its negative aspect, this sort of thought can mean deceit and dishonesty.

This is also a very helpful way of thinking of this card. :) The VFT deck doesn't contain much in the way of positives for this card - even upright and not reversed, it's not a happy card. It's very much about deceit, about dishonesty, about taking things that don't belong to you (or someone taking things from you). Thinking of things like lateral thinking, cunning plans, spontaneity, really helps a lot, so thank you!

JylliM

This is also a very helpful way of thinking of this card. :) The VFT deck doesn't contain much in the way of positives for this card - even upright and not reversed, it's not a happy card. It's very much about deceit, about dishonesty, about taking things that don't belong to you (or someone taking things from you). Thinking of things like lateral thinking, cunning plans, spontaneity, really helps a lot, so thank you!

No problem! I have and very much like the VFT but I don't like the meaning given in the book for the Seven of Winter. I think it's too one dimensional. Depending on context, I try to have some sympathy for the thieving fairy, and think of why he might need to be doing what he's doing!

ETA:

My pocket Rosetta is providing some fascinating single card draws this week. So far I've drawn six cards and they've all been major arcana. I'm drawing the card from the deck and then using the app to read up on the card and see it on a larger scale. Then I'm taking the same card from my Ancient Italian just to see it from a pre-Golden Dawn perspective.

I'm also working my way through Rachel Pollack's Tarot Wisdom (which I highly recommend), so I'm going back and rereading the relevant section in that.

This deck seems to demand this scholarly approach. At least for me it does, not being conversant with Kabbalah, astrology, etc. Now, one thing is leading to another and the names of the sephirah are becoming familiar and I'm being sucked into the wormhole of esoteric ideas! It's interesting that I had inklings of some of this as a child.

SarahJoy

On the Gilded Reverie Lenormand:
I dunno about this deck. I love some of the cards: the Fox, the Dog, the Storks, the Clouds, the Moon, the Letter. Others bug me: A Lennie tree has no use for a Tree of Life; the swans on the Heart are distracting; the House is too twee; the Gentleman looks like he needs to be punched. Many of the cards irrationally annoy me.

A Grand Tableau is just overwhelming -- the cards are SO detailed, the eye has no place to rest.

On the other hand, the cards are lovely in smaller 3 or five card spreads, where the beauty of each card can shine. The annoying cards no longer bother me.

I loved the look of these cards online, and they ARE truly beautiful, but I don't think they're right for me right now, since I'm mostly working with Grand Tableaus.

I'm enjoying the Justice League Tarot; I'll post more in those later.

VGimlet

My love affair with the Zirkus continues. Today's daily draw seemed ridiculous in the morning, and then proceeded to be one of the most accurate predictive readings I've done EVER.

I guess I should go hang out in the readings thread?

You can stay here or go there. :p Probably we are more active here. (This is the no rules thread, after all...)

I really love the Zirkus too - one of my favorites from last year.

VGimlet

Decadent Dream is going on the more later list for certain. I got some excellent and helpful readings during a somewhat troublesome week. :rolleyes:

New thread for the upcoming week is here.

Happy Valentines Day to us all. :love: :*

Even though it is a commercial holiday, any day with chocolate possibly involved is a good day. Heh.