Reading for Children in the UK?

Elnor

I am trying to find out about the legalities of this, specifically for the UK.

Not because I am intending to do so, but just doing a bit of research for a piece of fiction I'm working on, and I can't find anything that says it's NOT allowed to read for someone underaged.

Is it strictly an individual choice as to whether or not you would read for a child? From what I've been able to find through Googling the subject, there are quite a few who DO read for children, in a fun, story-telling kind of way, and I just wondered what the thought are from others here.

gregory

Except for a couple of towns with specific anti fortune telling by-laws, AFAIK there is NO law against this in the UK - as long as you don't say it is specific prediction and the rest - I THINK that could get you under the trade descriptions act. The legal issue would be parental consent.

There is now no law specifically addressing Tarot reading or Fortune-Telling in the UK. All trade is covered under the Consumer Protection Regulations which do not mention anything at all specifically with regard to divination in any form.

Here's an article from the Guardian about it.

It outlines the Fraudulent Mediums Act - which does plug a rather nasty loophole around ambulance chasing fake mediums.

But basically - if you want to read for children, you'd either have to have a parent present or get yourself a CRB registration. TECHNICALLY. I imagine a parent in the next room would be OK - but my daughter is a private music teacher - and to teach in her home she has to be CRB registered. It's not so much about tarot, it's about being alone with a child - technically illegal in most circumstances. Ghastly.

Elnor

That's great, thanks for that info, Gregory. I just wanted to be clear on that, I know the rules can change all the time.

earthair

Except for a couple of towns with specific anti fortune telling by-laws, AFAIK there is NO law against this in the UK - as long as you don't say it is specific prediction and the rest - I THINK that could get you under the trade descriptions act. The legal issue would be parental consent.

Here's an article from the Guardian about it.

It outlines the Fraudulent Mediums Act - which does plug a rather nasty loophole around ambulance chasing fake mediums.

But basically - if you want to read for children, you'd either have to have a parent present or get yourself a CRB registration. TECHNICALLY. I imagine a parent in the next room would be OK - but my daughter is a private music teacher - and to teach in her home she has to be CRB registered. It's not so much about tarot, it's about being alone with a child - technically illegal in most circumstances. Ghastly.

Sorry, not accurate.
CRB was replaced by DBS checks a few years ago. Self employed people remain in limbo because only an employer can request a DBS check.
Regarding reading for children, I would only do it with their parent present in the same room, and make it clear it was for entertainment purposes only.

gregory

Sorry, not accurate.
CRB was replaced by DBS checks a few years ago. Self employed people remain in limbo because only an employer can request a DBS check.
Regarding reading for children, I would only do it with their parent present in the same room, and make it clear it was for entertainment purposes only.
My self employed daughter has always been told she has to have one - yes OK I see it is now called "DBS enhanced clearance" So.... She also has to keep it up to date - she receives regular notifications. I just checked her website and it is still in force. "I have DBS enhanced clearance which is regularly updated" she says.

So there has to be a way, as she IS self-employed. Googling finds sites which says you can do it by registering with a recruitment agency. Maybe she did. Dunno. But she has it.

I see also that :

For individuals who are self-employed, you do qualify for a Basic Check. This searches your criminal record for any unspent convictions. These are often requested by employers to help them make informed recruitment decisions in order to protect their business and customers. For self-employed individuals going into organisation on a temporary basis, this may prove just as important. Basic Checks are available to any individual, and are easily and quickly applied for online. Apply today to stand out from the crowd.

Hers is enhanced, so I've no idea how she did that.

Ah. Wait. She does do a lot of volunteer work:
DBS criminal record checks are free of charge to volunteers. The DBS defines a volunteer as: ‘A person engaged in an activity which involves spending time, unpaid (except for travel and other approved out-of-pocket expenses), doing something which aims to benefit some third party other than, or in addition to, a close relative.’

That's from the DBS' own site.

I agree about saying "entertainment only" but I'd be OK with a parent being outside the door, so that the reading can be private. I think children have a right to privacy too. Parents don't get to be in there when they see therapists or - quite often - even family doctors.